Tron Sector Challenge Coins

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 5 PagesNextLast
BigE73
User

RE: Tron Sector Challenge Coins

on Tuesday, May, 05, 2015 9:49 AM
Mock up with Sector and date text switched. upon request:

I sort of like how the previous design flows, but I'm open to everyone's opinion on this. I'm looking to make the majority of users happy with the design.

I can probably make make that, Just ask.

BigE73
User

on Tuesday, May, 05, 2015 12:31 PM
Here's a mockup of the flipside of the coin with the text added:

Test Prints coming soon!

BlueTronWarrior
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, May, 05, 2015 3:19 PM
I like the back with the Tron "T" but prefer it without the text, simple is better. Just my opinion though..

Also, maybe the "T" and border in blue instead of gray.

BigE73
User

on Tuesday, May, 05, 2015 4:18 PM
Can do.
Of course, if you want the text off the flipside, that's easily done. If anybody else has an opinion on the design, they should chime in, as we're getting close to the point where I'll actually be printing something. I'll print a couple prototypes, and I suppose we can vote for the winning layout.

On the subject of colors: Blue on the back details would look nice, but once again, note that the color in question is not grey, it's actually silver (which is more like a metallic pewter color).

Below are two, two-color prints I did before. One is in blue on a black background, the other is silver on black.
I tried to take the pics from different angles, in natural sunlight, so you could get a good idea of how the colors actually look:

Both provide decent contrast. Of course, I suppose I could always print the coins in different color themes, and let the users select which ones they want; It's not like I'll be making gobs of these. so it's always an option.

I've got several colors stocked:

Green (emerald translucent and darker green opaque)
Red (opaque, almost out of the translucent)
Black
White
Silver
Blue (only opaque on hand)
Yellow (semi translucent, and light yellow opaque)
Natural (transparent and colorless)
Cherry Laywood (wood filament, only have about a Lb of this on hand, and it's pricey; Used for special projects)

Any other colors, I will need to order as I don't have them currently stocked. 1kg spools are priced based on vendor and availability. I have some sources that offer decent prices though.

*EDIT to add: I should (barring the end of the world) have the printed prototypes for the faces posted up tomorrow in this thread; Three designs each for either side, Be sure to cast your vote. The winning selections will go on the finished production Challenge Coin. FYI, BlueTronWarrior's votes will carry some extra weight, since he is the Site admin, and this coin does represent his site. Finished coins will ship pending his final approval.

Thanks again for everyone's interest in this; I appreciate the opportunity to give back to the Tron Sector community, and I'll be doing my best to make everyone happy with the end product!

BlueTronWarrior
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, May, 05, 2015 5:23 PM
I think a light blue would look better, especially with the black background.

BigE73
User

on Tuesday, May, 05, 2015 7:04 PM
I'm on it; Contacted one of my vendors and I just put in an order for some really nice light blue filament. it should show up here in about three days.

Kat
User

on Tuesday, May, 05, 2015 11:35 PM
I'm geeky enough to love the idea of a Tron (character, not film) coin with the two different "T" symbols on each side. 

Part of me likes the back without text... part of me likes it with.  I vote for the latter; it seems to be in better fitting with the theme of the coin (it being a T-S coin, rather than a general Tron film/franchise coin; if it were the latter, I would vote for no text.)

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

renderinfo2
User

on Wednesday, May, 06, 2015 3:51 PM
I agree with Kat to a large degree.  I like the Tron logo on one-side, simple, raised and colored.

I'm not a big fan of a "Tron-sector" specific coin.
I don't know if I am being too negative (or just opting out), but I don't like the years text (1999-2015 means what? A reference to a blog?!?) the reference to Tron-sector (a blog reference on a coin?), and a coin with one-side having both discs merged (another collectible that has a disc as it's main theme, like my keychain, belt buckle, XMas ornament, etc.) 

If you wanted to put years on the coin, I'd do something that ties the two movies (1982/2010).  Like I said, I'm not a big fan of any text...

But...
If "we" choose to go with a tron logo on one side, and a disc logo (both old and new merged) on the other, with no text, I'd still be "in with that" and would be totally up for the compromise.

BigE73
User

on Wednesday, May, 06, 2015 4:39 PM
Well, regardless of the end result, I intend to make it look as good as possible.

We have to be honest around here; BlueTron had basically commissioned the coin; he's the Admin here, and yes, the coin is in honor of TRON Sector, hence the years on the face of the coin. It was established in 1999, and is still here in 2015... think about that for a minute, TRON SECTOR been around for over 15 years! Kind of a milestone!

While the coin is here to honor all things TRON, it's mainly representative of TRON SECTOR, which is why I value the input from the users on the forum. It's not likely everyone is going to be happy with the design, but I'm going to try my hardest that we end up with a design that Blue likes, and the majority of the users here approves of.

BTW, nobody is forcing anyone to buy one; If you don't like the design(s) you can pass on it.

Maybe we can approve a secondary design that I can run off in smaller quantities, or maybe in 2019 I can run a 20th anniversary coin with a fresh design?

I can guarantee this much, however. some people will not like the design, no matter what. that's just reality. I've worked in ad design and marketing back in the day, and the fact you can't make everyone happy is just that. So I can only try to please as many folks as I can.

I've been printing prototype faces out. I'll have them posted in the thread either tonight or early tomorrow. People can start voting on what they like, and we can go from there. I've been taking people's opinions and critiques to heart, even though Blue likes what he likes. That should say something.

Also, I ordered a spool of light blue PLA for the details, as many requested it. prototypes will have standard blue in the blue details, but the final blue that will be used looks like the color below:

I thank everyone for their continued input. Remember, it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings, and the final design will be somewhat malleable until:
BlueTronWarroir Approves the final Proof
and
I start printing the final coins for those interested.

Note that there may be a detail color option available (likely light blue, yellow, red or green, sort of like the forum themes) but we haven't decided conclusively yet. so input is always fun.

BigE73
User

on Wednesday, May, 06, 2015 8:04 PM
Okay, Prototype #1 is done. Bear in mind, there is to be some fine tuning to get it to print perfectly; Much time was spent calculating the z-pause height for color changes. I also need to clean up some lines in the model so the details print correctly (note the "O" in the word TRON)

Also, scaling the coin up will also help with detail. let me know if I should upscale it a little too.

This prototype is designation H1 (heads side, option 1)
printed at only 10% infill, it's very solid due to the many solid detail layers When dropped on a table, it sounds like a poker chip!
more to come.

BlueTronWarrior
Sector Admin

on Wednesday, May, 06, 2015 10:37 PM

Looks awesome man!

Hey guys,

Just a few things to keep in mind.

1) These are fan made items, made by a TS member, for TS members only, not the general public. No extra profit is being made on these, only cost.

2) Text- the words Tron Sector needs to be on the coin regardless of anything else. These are being made for members of the Tron Sector website to celebrate our website, which in turn is a fan site of Tron. Keep in mind that Tron is a copyrighted property, so we can't just make stuff with images on there and not specify our website or logo. 

Example:
Like I mentioned in the first post, I'm a member of the Star Wars 501st Legion, and we get challenge coins made all the time. Although the Legion has permission to use such characters and logos, we still need to include the name "501st Legion" on all of our member only items.

3) Dates- true that the website has been around since '99, but I don't think we should put a cap on the date with 2015, makes it kind of look like it ended than. I personally would like to see the site continue on for many years to come. How about "Est. 1999" or "Online Since 1999"... something like that. Or if it can't be decided, just leave the date off.

BigE73
User

on Thursday, May, 07, 2015 7:32 AM
Noted! I can definitely do that! It will be changed to "Est. 1999" on the next prototype.

One of the designs leaves the years off already, so that's not an issue.

I'll also be posting up the "tails side" prototypes today. You may like the alternate I came up with too. It may end up being a tough choice.

It seems Auric is pretty much open to anything so far, but seeing as he's the owner of Tron Sector, we value his opinion as well. Any input from him will be taken seriously!

TRON.dll
User

on Thursday, May, 07, 2015 1:29 PM
Count me in for one! How are we doing payments? Or is that to be decided?

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

BlueTronWarrior
Sector Admin

on Thursday, May, 07, 2015 2:01 PM
I'll post all that up once we lock down the design.

BigE73
User

on Thursday, May, 07, 2015 2:05 PM
That's to be decided.

I'm having issues getting the date section to print correctly, probably due to the size. So, since there have been many people that have had issue with the date (or Est. 1999) being on there, does anybody object to the heads side just having the Tron Sector logo? I got that detail printing perfectly now!
It would also eliminate where the date should go (between Tron and Sector, below it, etc) In other words, it would solve many headaches all around.

If people find that acceptable, then it's only a matter of selecting the tails face. I can have those up for voting in a couple hours!
*EDIT*
Been grinding away on alternate designs!
Okay, these are not printed yet, but here's some of the alternates. I figured some of you guy wanted something more simple: well, here are some options (these can be used for the tails side as well):

First, We have a simplified, two color heads side. The gray parts can be any color (I was thinking that Light blue I ordered would look nice!)

And here is a simple alternate for the flipside:

BlueTronWarrior
Sector Admin

on Thursday, May, 07, 2015 5:03 PM
I'm good with leaving the date off there.

BigE73
User

on Thursday, May, 07, 2015 5:16 PM
Okay, I've already altered a version: have yet to print it up, but it should look dandy.

Of course, the major challenge has been all the color swapping on the 3-color heads face. (no less than 4 filament swaps during the print). I designed a little gauge that prints next to the coin(s) in the plate to help me know when it's time to swap the color during a print.

Of course, the printed coin ends up 5.72mm (.225 inches) thick. This is partly why I posted an alternate; some may want a thinner coin, and all those color changes add up.

The simplified face will end up thinner, even if I do it in three colors (with the TS logo a different color than the decorative line work.)

I will keep printing; this is proving to be a complicated endeavor, but I want to have some nice prints for everyone to evaluate. sorry it's taking so long.

BlueTronWarrior
Sector Admin

on Thursday, May, 07, 2015 7:48 PM

In my honest opinion, I really dig this for the front and back, just minus the date.

TRON.dll
User

on Thursday, May, 07, 2015 9:45 PM
BlueTronWarrior Wrote:

In my honest opinion, I really dig this for the front and back, just minus the date.
I'm with BlueTronWarrior here. Simple, elegant, and to the point!

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

BigE73
User

on Thursday, May, 07, 2015 10:27 PM
Okay, time for Prototypes!

These were the best of all the prints!
There are two of each: the top two are the Heads side
The Bottom two are tails side (they must be printed face down)

I used white on the three, and red on the one in place of the blue, because it's high contrast, and I don't have the light blue filament yet, but, I color corrected the photo, so you can see what it will likely look like with the light blue printing below:

Let me know which ones you like; I think I know where it's going, though. Specify your vote, Either H1 or H2 for the heads side, and T1 or T2 for the tails side. Let's hear your votes!

FirstPrevious Page: of 5 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Collector 
 Tron Sector Challenge Coins