Collector 
 Tron Sector Challenge Coins

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 5 PagesNextLast
ShadowSpark
User

RE: Tron Sector Challenge Coins

on Friday, May, 29, 2015 7:31 PM
Perfect or no, I love them. You can count me in for one of each type. Also, I envy you the equipment you've got. I would LOVE to get a 3D printer.

{A very big thanks to FlynnOne for the pic! And to Wulfeous for sharpening the details!*huggles both*}
{Because people always seem to guess wrong, I'm saying it here: I'm female!!! And my name is Spark!!!}

Tron Lives!

Please click here to help my family out.

BigE73
User

on Friday, May, 29, 2015 10:01 PM
Thanks

I know it's taking a while to get these things sorted but I keep tweaking them to get them as close to perfect as my hardware will allow.

not all 3d printers aren't insanely expensive, however. My Replicator 2 was quite pricey, but you can get a decent 3D printer for about $600 (Printrbot Simple) or a Printrbot Play for $400 both are nice machines, although the build envelope is kind of small (4"x4"x5" for the Play, 6"x6"x6" for the Simple) but you'd be surprised at what you can print with such a small machine.

My Hardware:
Currently, I have a Makerbot Replicator 2 (Codename: Flynn)

A Prusa i3 with  8"-cubed build volume; Assembled it myself (Codename: Recognizer) 

A PrintrBot Simple (older model) built form a kit an customized; with an extra large Z axis. (Codename: Bit)

I am currently building my next machine, a scratch-built custom printer based on the FabRap design; print size is massive (12"-cubed) features a rack and pinion drive on the x and y axis, all metal hexagon hotend, and lots of other custom elements. it's about 80% complete (Codename: CLU)

I can probably make make that, Just ask.

retrogmr1
User

on Saturday, May, 30, 2015 12:37 AM
Put me down for 5 once you're ready to take $$$.  Looking VERY cool!

deeahchur
User

on Saturday, May, 30, 2015 9:29 AM
The newest proofs look fabulous!

/ / S C A N N I N G
/ / Incompatable Program detected
/ / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
"Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."

deeahchur
User

on Saturday, May, 30, 2015 9:29 AM
The newest proofs look fabulous!

/ / S C A N N I N G

KingJ.exe
User

on Sunday, May, 31, 2015 9:12 AM
These are looking pretty darn awesome. Count me in for one of each as well.

Watch me stream TRON 2.0 on my YouTube channel!
https://gaming.youtube.com/channel/UCvvT-h8JK4w1xgKavs35WHg/live

Find the archive here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLf9ZcCtZm_CjonNAjms4wKN-p6UuiCMgZ

BlueTronWarrior
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, June, 02, 2015 1:55 PM
Again, these look so rad! Thank you again for doing these BigE, awesome work!

BigE73
User

on Tuesday, June, 02, 2015 8:10 PM
No problem!

I don't mean for so many delays to occur but I'm back on track.

I'll post up the final proofs before they get mailed out; Haven't gotten around to coating them yet. I've sort of got sidetracked cleaning up the Tron emblem on the flipside a bit.

I'll be printing the revised "cleaned up" proofs tomorrow, and coating them so I can get them out to you asap.
also, if it's ready in time, I'll try to get out a prototype for the other thing I mentioned as well (it's still a work in progress

renderinfo2
User

on Friday, June, 05, 2015 8:19 AM
BigE73 Wrote:...The coins look rough because, yes, you are seeing close-ups of the coin; and as they haven't been coated yet, you're going to be seeing the layer ridges. Finished coins will be coated to smooth them out.
Finished coins will be 58mm diameter.
Blue will be receiving final proofs for approval prior to me making coins for the users here. I've been addressing issues with the prints, to make sure the colors come out correctly, and the quality is consistent.
I will be coating some proofs this weekend

Thanks for the reply.  I've noticed that 58mm is more than 3x as big as a quarter (whose diameter is only 24mm, so this coin would be bigger than two quarters next to each other).  That's much bigger than I was thinking, but I really don't know how these things go.  Like I said before, the H1 side looked mostly ok, and if you worked on improving the T1 side by making the Tron logo look even better, I am very eager to seeing the finished coins.  I appreciate all your hard work, otherwise I wouldn't even bother posting.  I really hope they come out well, because I would love to get at least 1.

BigE73
User

on Friday, June, 05, 2015 12:42 PM
Yup, I remodeled the backside of the coin (and the fill piece) It looks a lot better now.

I'm coating the final proof set tonight; They will be sent off to Blue for final approval tomorrow (gotta send them off before the PO closes)

deeahchur
User

on Friday, June, 05, 2015 8:00 PM
Any updated pics?

/ / S C A N N I N G

BigE73
User

on Saturday, June, 06, 2015 9:32 AM
Yes, as a matter of fact, there are...

Here's the finished proofs! just waiting on the resin to set up 100% (they're a tad tacky on the outside still)

I'm going to give them a final buffing, and they're off to BlueTronWarrior for final approval; In other words, he will be the first to get a set

All in all, I like the XTC3D coating; not the best solution for every print job, but on these, it works perfectly!

Pics #1 and #2:

Pic #3 (tails sides of the coins, note one is crooked, it's how the coin is angled, the print is straight):

H1 and T1 side-by-side:

H2 and T1 side-by-side:

An extreme close up of the edge of H1, note, no more ridges from print layers! This stuff works great!

A quick final buffing should get rid of any surface finish flaws. It was definitely a learning curve with this new stuff, but a proper post print cleanup will give excellent results!

ShadowSpark
User

on Saturday, June, 06, 2015 9:59 PM
Count me in for one of each.

{A very big thanks to FlynnOne for the pic! And to Wulfeous for sharpening the details!*huggles both*}
{Because people always seem to guess wrong, I'm saying it here: I'm female!!! And my name is Spark!!!}

Tron Lives!

Please click here to help my family out.

TRON.dll
User

on Monday, June, 08, 2015 2:28 AM
H1 looks great now that I see pictures of it! Count me in for one of those!

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

deeahchur
User

on Tuesday, June, 09, 2015 10:36 PM
Those look rockin'!

/ / S C A N N I N G

renderinfo2
User

on Thursday, June, 11, 2015 3:45 PM
That H1/T1 coin looks pretty sharp, I will admit.  And, yes, the T1 side looks a lot nicer than your earlier proof.  Count me in for 1 of those (or 2 of those if there is a minimum commitment). 

Based on all my previous posts in this thread, it would be out of character for me to be 100% positive, although I really should change that.  So....

I am not a fan of how the H2 side came out at all... But no worries, just chalk it up to me being slightly biased against the words "Tron Sector" being on the coin anyways, LOL.  But still, count me out for H2... 

Count me in for a H1/T1!

BigE73
User

on Friday, June, 12, 2015 8:21 AM
Well, I sent off the proofs to BlueTronWarrior a couple days ago for final approval; He should be posting a review after he gets them.

I'm in the process of setting up everything to let users order them. Prices aren't finalized yet...

I will likely be doing a very limited run of "boxed sets" which will contain one of each coin in a custom display box.

total run of coins will be determined by interest. Currently, I'm targeting July for accepting orders and printing everything off for those interested.

EDIT to add: I will likely make coating the coins optional for about $1 per coin (as some people may prefer them non-coated). BlueTronWarrior has requested a non-coated pair after seeing the non-coated prototypes I sent him along with the proof set. His review is pending

I'll leave it to BlueTronWarrior to review the box; it's sort of been "Top Secret" until now. I managed to snap a coupe pics before I mailed it off to him. I may coat the exterior of the final boxes; I haven't decided on that one yet. I will need to add some features to avoid print curling on the finals; Larger prints tend to curl at the ends a little. As I said, the Box is a prototype, and takes about 3+ hours to print the parts and assemble.

Until then, here's some pics to whet the appetite:

renderinfo2
User

on Saturday, June, 13, 2015 1:19 PM
Any chance of you offering a limited box set of two h1t1's instead of the two different coins? The box looks truly awesome

BigE73
User

on Saturday, June, 13, 2015 3:23 PM
possibly. I'm still working out how many box sets I will be making all together. They are a bit time consuming to make.

deeahchur
User

on Monday, June, 15, 2015 10:36 PM
oh wow! That's awesome!

/ / S C A N N I N G

FirstPrevious Page: of 5 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums