TRON Virtual Reality Update

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
davidmarchfleming
User

on Tuesday, January, 23, 2024 7:17 PM

https://iotower.com/vr/
I wanted to update you on my plans for TRON virtual reality. As you know, I've been loving and learning how to develop TRON VR in Meta Horizon Worlds. I've been at it since October 2022, so over a year now!

My world, "TRON: The I/O Tower", is about as complete as I can get it within the constraints of Horizon Worlds. I've been looking into other options for continuing VR development, and while Horizon Worlds is great for getting started quickly, it leaves a lot - I mean a LOT - to be desired in terms of user experience, and creator ownership of the world itself. In my quest to find the best TRON VR for Quest, I'm excited to announce I'll be working in VRChat and Banter in the weeks and months ahead!

VRChat and Banter promise me full control over my creations, as well as larger user bases. For these reasons and more, I'll be focusing further development primarily in those spaces. That being said, I really love what we've done in Horizon Worlds, and I will continue to make tweaks there as I can and as Meta allows for more options.
vrchat.jpg

VRChat is probably the most popular VR destination, with a very large user base and support for not only VR worlds, but fully custom avatars as well! VRChat also works on Windows, so a VR headset is not required!

However, developing in VRChat comes with a high learning curve. VRChat uses the Unity development platform for worlds, and Blender (and others) for avatars.

The benefits of using VRChat over Horizon Worlds include a much larger user base, support on multiple platforms, custom avatars, much better graphics, asset importing, and external linking among others.

By developing in Unity/Blender, you own all of your development work and code and can use those assets in multiple platforms. Horizon Worlds on the other hand doesn't allow import or export of your worlds, so if it ever gets shut down, all of your work will go down with it.

For all of these reasons, I'm beginning work on TRON VR in VRChat, including avatars based on characters from the original film! I look forward to sharing my progress with you soon!

Banter is relatively new on the social VR scene. Developed by SideQuest, Banter is unique in that it is highly decentralized, treating each VR world as its own URL running on any server. Think of it like the World Wide Web, full of servers and webpages, but each "webpage" is actually an entire VR world! This gives creators ultimate control over any and all aspects of world and avatar creation!

As with VRChat, development for Banter is (usually) done using Unity. After I develop some initial work in VRChat, I should be able to readily import those worlds and avatars into Banter. I hope to share progress with you soon!

END OF LINE

Traahn
User

RE: TRON Virtual Reality Update

on Friday, January, 26, 2024 8:10 PM
Good luck with the transition! Sorry to hear about the roadblocks and other issues with Meta. I was looking forward to checking your Tron world out if and when I ever get a VR headset... assuming it was Meta. But I'm not so sure I'd want Meta, to be honest... as I'd want to have PC gaming VR without much hassle.

For some reason, I always imagined the Grid Bugs being much bigger in the film than how you had them. Like, the size of cars, or something I think I thought that because in the movie they were riding high up in the solar sailer and could see Grid Bugs well enough from there to comment on them. Not to mention having to watch out for them as they were a threat, from their solar sailer position on the beam. Plus, the camera did a slight close up of them and I guess my mind always assumed they just zoomed in a bit and so were pretty big.

But I guess you may be on the right track, considering they were pretty small in the arcade game, compared to the size of Tron

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

davidmarchfleming
User

RE: TRON Virtual Reality Update

on Monday, January, 29, 2024 7:46 PM
Oh what a great question: how big are gridbugs anyway? I'd love to put that one to the creators of TRON! Also, see my other post about meeting up with me in Horizon Worlds this week and next!
END OF LINE

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion