General Discussion 
 Music of Wendy Carlos

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
willpeavy
User

Music of Wendy Carlos

on Tuesday, March, 18, 2003 8:30 PM
I was wondering, what is everyone's favorite Wendy Carlos tune on the TRON soundtrack?

My personal favorite is "Tower Music - Let Us Pray." It's the perfect accompaniment for the I/O scene.

Compucore
User

Re: Music of Wendy Carlos

on Tuesday, March, 18, 2003 10:45 PM
From the cd itself. it happens to be Only Solutions performed by Journey. That one was a good one.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

curtishart
User

on Wednesday, March, 19, 2003 9:54 AM
Compucore Wrote:From the cd itself. it happens to be Only Solutions performed by Journey. That one was a good one.

I don't think that qualifies as "Music of Wendy Carlos"

abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

MrMagnetichead
User

on Wednesday, March, 19, 2003 10:43 AM
I dont have her cd, but my fave piece of tron music is the ending credits when we get the time lapse of the city.

Hale-XF11
User

on Wednesday, March, 19, 2003 6:27 PM
Great topic!

For the longest time, my favorite piece of music from the film is a track titled "Miracle and Magician."

It has this strong defiance of the main theme (:25) which then trickles in descension towards a magical dream-like state (:32) that truely makes it a movie experience and not just music.

I also will eventually look forward to sequencing more of her music to MIDI, particularly the track titled "The Light Sailer." I love how urgent, sporadic and intense it feels. It's also yet another classic theme in the movie and another great blend of string ensemble and synth by Wendy.

and yes, the light tower theme is perfect. I wonder what the opening instrument of that song is? i'm guessing some sort of synth moog sound. the atmosphere of this track is wonderful and with just the right mood.

I mention this wherever I go, but I truly hope that WHEN there is a Tron 2.0 movie, that Wendy is asked to come back for the new soundtrack.

-------------------------------------+megalith music+-------------------------------------

TheJediUnit
User

on Wednesday, March, 19, 2003 9:20 PM
Personally, I don't see the big mystique about her soundtrack for Tron. Don't get me wrong, I think it augmented the film and colored the film very well, but to celebrate a soundtrack is to suggest that it stands alone well too, but this music does not make a good driving companion. It's about as dynamic as a watch alarm. I'm in no danger of buying the CD myself.

Now, that isn't meant as an insult because the purpose for which the soundtrack was made is great indeed. It fits the film like a glove and gives it a voice worthy of Tron and Tron was worthy of it.

Another good test for a soundtrack is that being played alone it can conjure up imagery totally unrelated to the film it's associated with. This one cannot do that. It is unseparabely attached to this film, but that can be taken as a compliment in the case of Tron, concidering it's chest-load of unique aspects that unlikens itself from the typical film or the typical soundtrack.

But even back in those days, you'd not catch me blasting it while cruising the hometown drag.

"Having is not as pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock

willpeavy
User

on Wednesday, March, 19, 2003 9:50 PM
Hey, that's allright if you aren't into playing the soundtrack in your automobile. But all I was wondering is, what is everyone's favorite track?

TheJediUnit Wrote:Personally, I don't see the big mystique about her soundtrack for Tron. Don't get me wrong, I think it augmented the film and colored the film very well, but to celebrate a soundtrack is to suggest that it stands alone well too, but this music does not make a good driving companion. It's about as dynamic as a watch alarm. I'm in no danger of buying the CD myself.

Now, that isn't meant as an insult because the purpose for which the soundtrack was made is great indeed. It fits the film like a glove and gives it a voice worthy of Tron and Tron was worthy of it.

Another good test for a soundtrack is that being played alone it can conjure up imagery totally unrelated to the film it's associated with. This one cannot do that. It is unseparabely attached to this film, but that can be taken as a compliment in the case of Tron, concidering it's chest-load of unique aspects that unlikens itself from the typical film or the typical soundtrack.

But even back in those days, you'd not catch me blasting it while cruising the hometown drag.

willpeavy
User

on Wednesday, March, 19, 2003 9:58 PM
Yeah, the title "Miracle and Magician" is certainly fitting for that track. I like the time change/detuning sound that hits at around :30 seconds as well. That sound is a Moog classic, and I think it adds a humorous touch to the related segment of the film.

Hale-XF11 Wrote:Great topic!

For the longest time, my favorite piece of music from the film is a track titled "Miracle and Magician."

It has this strong defiance of the main theme (:25) which then trickles in descension towards a magical dream-like state (:32) that truely makes it a movie experience and not just music.

I also will eventually look forward to sequencing more of her music to MIDI, particularly the track titled "The Light Sailer." I love how urgent, sporadic and intense it feels. It's also yet another classic theme in the movie and another great blend of string ensemble and synth by Wendy.

and yes, the light tower theme is perfect. I wonder what the opening instrument of that song is? i'm guessing some sort of synth moog sound. the atmosphere of this track is wonderful and with just the right mood.

I mention this wherever I go, but I truly hope that WHEN there is a Tron 2.0 movie, that Wendy is asked to come back for the new soundtrack.
on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

Hale-XF11
User

on Wednesday, March, 19, 2003 10:42 PM
Now my only hope is that the music sector of this site is up and running soon...

-------------------------------------+megalith music+-------------------------------------

MowerMan
User

on Friday, March, 21, 2003 10:27 PM
Well, I like her version of Tocotta and Fugue in D Minor, from Switched On Bach 2000. I also really like the Brandenburg's from the Original Switched On Bach (gotta love the old analog Moogs), although "she" was Walter Carlos back then. I recomend both CD's (I own them). The TRON cuts are nice too (no real favorite there).

Me, I'm just a lawnmower. You can tell me by the way I walk

Compucore
User

on Friday, March, 21, 2003 10:52 PM
There was a version of Tocotta and Fugue in D Minor when I was in the Arcade. It was from the game Gyruss. Which had a great upbeat to it you know. But from the classica Bach area. I still like hearing it from the pipe organ. Still trying to see if I could find that version from the arcade would be nice.

Also one other one which was from teh arcade. Hang on was the game and the theme was race to the finish. But I don't know the author to it either. ANy ideas on that one.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

TheJediUnit
User

on Saturday, March, 22, 2003 9:19 AM
Okay willpeavy, I see what you're saying. I don't know the layout of the soundtrack, but I'd say the best musical moment was the escape of the solar sailer.

"Having is not as pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 Music of Wendy Carlos