Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
  Tron 2.0 
 Woo, I'm able to upgrade my PC, finally!

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
KiaPurity
User

on Saturday, May, 24, 2003 8:44 PM
Getting a nice and gorgeous PC case!

Reason: My current PC case is from 1998 and well... new mobo won't fit. :P

The mobo I'm getting is: MSI Mobo

Also, I was lucky enough to find a 80 gbs HD for 81 bucks! WOO-HOO! Plus, I currently have Nvidia Geforce2 on my PC. -_-; Not too happy about it, but I have very little choice if I want to play Tron 2.0. :/ Just until I get ATI R9700 Pro for my birthday... I hope.

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

Hale-XF11
User

Re: Woo, I'm able to upgrade my PC, finally!

on Saturday, May, 24, 2003 8:59 PM
That sounds great. I hope to get an upgrade in the near future so I'll take any suggestions for equipment necessary for a great gaming experience. I'm also wondering if anyone has a 5.1 or 6.1 surround sound setup and if Tron 2.0 will be in surround. I want to be submerged! That's something I look forward to the most besides the awesome graphics and glow effects.
EDIT: That brings up the question, What makes a great graphics card?

-------------------------------------+megalith music+-------------------------------------

tron_fanfare
User

on Saturday, May, 24, 2003 10:01 PM
Im not sure if tron 2.0 is gonna be in surround but probably since NOLF2 had surround and eax support. I have a 5.1 setup on my system and was impressed by nolf2, tron 2.0 should be even better

"How are ya gonna run the universe if you can't even answer a few unsolvable problems?" - Flynn in the real world

Compucore
User

on Saturday, May, 24, 2003 10:12 PM
I'm waiting to hear from another student that is getting rid of a server up over here. I've been pleading wiith her to bring it down from her place to the college that I am going to. so I can bring it home and start making the essential software updates to it. From what I was told dimention wise about the server its fairly big. So it might have 4 or more CPU's, large enough hard drive and enough memory to play the game Tron on it. The only thing that I do know if its a server. It won't have the Nvidia video card in there. I would have to get that kind of card seperately. Mind you I could always ask my parents or kid bro to get me that for my birthday.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Sunday, May, 25, 2003 1:04 AM

Hey Kia, that's a nice motherboard you're getting there! I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I have the same type of board, only from Asus. So far, my Athlon XP and board have given me impressive performance for the money.

Hale, if you're talking about TRUE 5.1 surround sound, then only Doom 3 will have it. No other game has 5.1 sound yet. has EAX2 support, so that probably means four channels only.

As for suggestions on what to get for an upgrade. Well, I'm partial to AMD based stuff because it performs well for less money. So here's what I'd recommend. (I have nothing against Intel, a P4 and Canterwood chipset board is a great pick, but expensive.)

- Almost any nForce2 chipset motherboard is the best choice right now, I prefer Asus myself. (Yeah, I know, funny how I like nVidia nForce2 but don't care for the GeForce line. )
- Don't buy any faster than an Athlon XP 2800+. The new Barton chips are currently a waste of money. They don't perform much better, at all.
- You may want to buy PC3200 DDR memory to future-proof yourself, but PC2700 would be cheaper. Besides, only the Athlon XP 3200+ (Barton) would take advantage of PC3200.
- You don't need to buy a Sound Blaster Audigy if you get an nForce board, because it has built-in sound that's really good. So you save some more money. (But you can still get an Audigy, if you want.)
- For a graphics card, it's kinda tough. I prefer ATI over nVidia, but I'm sure the 5900 FX Ultra will be fine. I'd go with a 9700 Pro or 9800 Pro if I could afford it, right now. If you're on a budget, you could get a Radeon 8500, 9100, 9500 Pro, or 9600 Pro. Stay away from the non-Pro versions, they're always much slower. Also stay away from the 9000 Pro and 9200, they actually suck. If I had to go with nVidia, I'd stick with a GeForce 4 Ti 4600.

Both video card brands will work fine with . Just because nVidia designed the glow effect, doesn't mean it only works on nVidia cards. The glow effect will work on any card that supports DirectX 8.1. (Just in case anyone is still confused about this.)

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

Compucore
User

on Sunday, May, 25, 2003 1:04 PM
For the bang for the buck I would have to agree with you. AMD does do some really nice things with their CPU for the Money. I have used so far. the INtel, AMD and on occassion the Cyrix and VIA cpus. Depending on what your doing application wise. It'll vary you know. AMD has impressed me in the past as a nice alternative to the Intel. Via C3 CPU's I haven't tried out yet. Even though you can pick them up at some local vendors.order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

KiaPurity
User

on Friday, June, 06, 2003 7:48 PM
HOORAY. My PC is being built right now by my fiance.

He's so helpful/genius. ^^;
Just working on getting some things off of the small 9 gbs hd and fixing things around.

I'll mostly likely keep my old pc box so I can rebuild it as a linux box someday.order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

KiaPurity
User

on Saturday, June, 07, 2003 10:04 PM
*bangs her head on the desk*

My new PC is functional, but the drawback is that the Nvidia Geforce 2 card is fried. Whether the PC fried it or the card decided to be sucidial... so I have my ATI Rage Fury Pro card back in it.
...and the PC is fine. Even though the mobo has a nvidia chip on it. *eyes*
Schizo computer.

So, I only need to get two new things for it now.
A cd-rom/dvd-rom because my current one has a faceplate and well, without the faceplate, I can't use it.
...and a new video card. Best Buy is out of ATI R9700 Pro. waah!

tron_fanfare
User

on Saturday, June, 07, 2003 11:26 PM
Are you sure the card id fried? mabey the voltage settings are out of whack or if your mobo supports agp 8x it might not have detected a 4x card correctly. Sorry if im just shooting blaks but id like to help if i can...let me know

order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

"How are ya gonna run the universe if you can't even answer a few unsolvable problems?" - Flynn in the real world

Nikster
User

on Saturday, June, 07, 2003 11:33 PM
KiaPurity Wrote:*bangs her head on the desk*

Schizo computer.

I feel your pain

*kicks iMac*

"The flippity on the google loads the Flynn to the disc battles the guy bad. Day wins. Said nuff!" - DaveTRON

Jack Thompson is to attorneys what Fred Phelps is to organized religion - Me

KiaPurity
User

on Sunday, June, 08, 2003 12:20 AM
Yes. my fiance said that it was fried because we could smell it.

My previous computer was a schizo too. ...only that I got upgraded to a faster schizo that likes to freeze randomly if I use IE. (This is with Windows 98 SE. the previous one was just Windows 98.)

Compucore
User

on Sunday, June, 08, 2003 12:49 AM
Kia can I make a small suggestion for you. This is just my opionon on it. I would upgrade from 98 SE to at least windows 2000 pro or to XP depeneding if you like XP or not. Have you and your boyfriend tried doing live updates from Microsoft for 98SE. Its an icon that is on the start button. You may have to patch 98SE a little bit. Try the updates first before going for an upgrade top the first one that I have suggested.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

KiaPurity
User

on Sunday, June, 08, 2003 8:01 PM
Already did that.
PROBLEM IS STILL THERE. AUUUUUUUUUUGH.

I'm not that deseperate to call it quits and go to an unholy evil OS that can bite me.

*grumbles about Microsoft being stupid*

KiaPurity
User

on Monday, June, 09, 2003 4:08 AM
Update: Windows XP is installed. Problems are bye-bye.

Now, I'm going to pray that I get the librarian job so I can pay for the new computer parts. @_@abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Nikster
User

on Tuesday, June, 10, 2003 3:45 AM
Good luck with the job, Kia

"The flippity on the google loads the Flynn to the disc battles the guy bad. Day wins. Said nuff!" - DaveTRON

Jack Thompson is to attorneys what Fred Phelps is to organized religion - Me

KiaPurity
User

on Wednesday, June, 11, 2003 2:29 AM
*groans*

I bought a Geforce 4 card no thanks to my fiance who recommended it.
Also bought a new cd-rom/dvd-rom drive.abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

MutoidMan
User

on Wednesday, June, 11, 2003 10:48 AM
Kia, your GF2 probably fried because it was a 3.3V AGP 2X card and your mobo probably comes equiped with a universal 0.8/1.5 V AGP 3.0 connector supporting 1x, 4x, and 8x AGP cards. I'm not sure, but nForce2-based mobos such as yours may also not support AGP 1X. Support for AGP -- 2X or otherwise -- @ 3.3V is gone. This is someting people need to be very aware of if they are thinking of pairing a new mobo and an existing 3D accelerator card. You're very lucky you didn't burn out the mobo.

BTW, good luck w/the job.

"We are, after all, not God." - Cmdr. J. J. Adams
"C is for cookie. That's good enough for me." - Cookie Monster
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man." - Huey Lewis & the News

Most recent PC game collection update: 04/12/2012. Check it out!

KiaPurity
User

on Wednesday, June, 11, 2003 12:58 PM
Thanks and actually the G2 card isn't fried.

...turns out that "the smoke" was the heatsink paste. *falls over* So much for having thought the G2 fried, but at least I was able to get back to Rage Fury pro. :P

...soon to be swapped for another Nvidia card. >_abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

Sketch
Sector Admin

on Wednesday, June, 11, 2003 1:41 PM
I hope you get the job Kia. May luck be on your side program.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

KiaPurity
User

on Thursday, June, 12, 2003 3:38 PM
They emailed me back with the interview times. Woo.

Oh yeah, got a new floppy drive in my computer because the other one won't work without its own. ._.; The old computer is going to my brother. (I feel really bad because my parents promised him a new computer and he's getting my old one instead... they don't have the money right now. ><)

Blarg, the cd-rom/dvd-rom drive and the video card won't be arriving until monday. x_X

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  Tron 2.0