General Discussion 
 Tron Disks

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Speeder
User

Tron Disks

on Tuesday, June, 03, 2003 10:57 AM
While watching Tron (again) I suddenly thought of the connection of Tron disks and CD's! Because Tron disks hold information and so do CD's but this was before CD's were invented!!!

Rincewind thought about this and then, with an air of finality, started to take off his last sock.
"No half-bricks," he said to no-one in particular. "Have to use sand?"
"You're going to attack them with a sockful of sand?"
"No, I'm going to run away from them. The sockful of sand is for when they follow.

Sourcery by Terry Pratchett

Compucore
User

Re: Tron Disks

on Tuesday, June, 03, 2003 11:02 AM
Could be. Come to think of it. Cd's do hold more than the old 5.25 and 3.5 inch diskette. Even the DVD hold more than the current cd's that are available that being usedon regular cd's that are being used on the computer these days.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

KiaPurity
User

on Tuesday, June, 03, 2003 12:15 PM
Heheh. ^^; Technology works in mysterious ways. :B
Who knew we could have firewalls? Internet? and such. ^^;where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

Sketch
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, June, 03, 2003 12:27 PM
Yeah it's really neat isn't it? Lisberger said one of the symbolic things to him the discs represent is the full cycle "circle" of life. It's neat how today those discs can be connected with CD technology.(O)where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

foilism
User

on Tuesday, June, 03, 2003 1:15 PM
Yeah, I was listening to the comentary of tron [nerd] and Eleenshaw started taking about the relation between the tron disks and modern day computor disks, but that was for the lazerdisk -- so i think he was talking about floppies - still disks tho.

And he said about how the people and companies working on tron predicted the future of computers in ways, like the internet and disks. I like this cool idea.

Speeder
User

on Tuesday, June, 03, 2003 1:17 PM
Foilism I love your new avatar, it's really cool!!order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

Rincewind thought about this and then, with an air of finality, started to take off his last sock.
"No, I'm going to run away from them. The sockful of sand is for when they follow.

foilism
User

on Tuesday, June, 03, 2003 1:18 PM
ooooooooo, sketch made it

Scuzzy
User

on Tuesday, June, 03, 2003 1:36 PM
What, am I the only one who thought of hard disk platters? :Pwhere to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

Come on, you scuzzy data, be in there.

HUDD
User

YOU'RE WRONG SPEEDER

on Tuesday, June, 03, 2003 3:49 PM
CDs (or compact disks) were actually first created in 1979, in a joint venture between Sony and Philips. If I understand correctly this is several years before Tron was created.

If you don't believe me, refer to the "Picture History of Great Inventions" by Gilian Clements. (top that mr. man)

what is our main purpose?
- don't ask me!

Nikster
User

on Wednesday, June, 04, 2003 12:40 PM
Scuzzy Wrote:What, am I the only one who thought of hard disk platters? :P

Yup

"The flippity on the google loads the Flynn to the disc battles the guy bad. Day wins. Said nuff!" - DaveTRON

Jack Thompson is to attorneys what Fred Phelps is to organized religion - Me

Falty
User

What the tron disk meant to me

on Sunday, June, 08, 2003 11:21 PM
No Scuzzy, you aren't the only one that thought about hard disk platters. I too thought that was what the "Disc" was s`posed to be. on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

Trace
User

on Monday, June, 09, 2003 1:17 AM
BTW, welcome to the Sector, Falty order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

curtishart
User

on Monday, June, 09, 2003 9:15 AM
I didn't think of the hard disk platters, but I did think it was a reference to the "floppy platter" in 5 1/4" disks.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

MutoidMan
User

on Tuesday, June, 10, 2003 11:38 AM
I thought it was a reference to the dominance of disk-shaped data storage media in general. I don't think the Data Disc (note the 'disc' spelling is generally used instead of 'disk' when referring to data storage media) referred to any specific media such as magnetic tape (which is stored on disc-shaped reels), HDD and floppy platters or even optical media. Instead, it was more a logical extension or expression of the fact that at the time (and still today) just about all media for storing data was disc-shaped (even the little donut-shaped magnets that made up the memory cores of old mainframes.) Punch cards excepted of course.

Also about the discs, or rather what they contain and what their contents represent: I think of the old, ever-true axiom "Knowledge Is Power". The discs store a program's knowledge/data/instructions/information and the program can use that disc's contents to its advantage. Best example: When the information needed to shut down the MCP's illegal activities was downloaded into TRON's Data Disc. That knowledge was indeed power. This is probably also why TRON was so good at fighting with the Data Discs. He was written to watchdog other programs and shut them down if any illegal activity was taking place. He was made to shut other programs down! His programming (the information in his disc) made him what he was.

"We are, after all, not God." - Cmdr. J. J. Adams
"C is for cookie. That's good enough for me." - Cookie Monster
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man." - Huey Lewis & the News

Most recent PC game collection update: 04/12/2012. Check it out!

Speeder
User

on Tuesday, June, 10, 2003 1:15 PM
Yep, I agree with you there!!!!order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 Tron Disks