ROMs for the uninformed

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
Melkor
User

ROMs for the uninformed

on Sunday, July, 13, 2003 3:20 PM
Hi folks,

I would love to play some of the old Arcaden Atari 2600, Intellivision, and or other classic console Tron games.

I believe ROMs are illegal unless you own the actuall console game or Arcade system. Am I right here ?

If they are legal, where can one go about getting these roms and rom players ?

User_Program
User

Re: ROMs for the uninformed

on Sunday, July, 13, 2003 4:40 PM
Greetings program, Melkor
Here's what your looking for. Now about the legal issues its lengthy But I realy don't think you could get in that much trouble if you are just playing the games and not selling them. There are other sites but this is one I've used and it will point you in the right direction.
Have Fun! (click the little Tron 2.0 icon)

XenoTron
User

on Sunday, July, 13, 2003 10:18 PM
roms being illegal is like mp3s being illegal, same basic rules as far as i'm concerned. Try zophar.net or just search google for any certain rom you're looking for. btw, irc has a ton of places for roms if you know how to use it. also, what you called 'rom players' are called 'emulators' or 'emus' for short, that's what you'll need to play the roms.

curtishart
User

on Sunday, July, 13, 2003 10:21 PM
User_Program Wrote:Greetings program, Melkor
Here's what your looking for. Now about the legal issues its lengthy But I realy don't think you could get in that much trouble if you are just playing the games and not selling them. There are other sites but this is one I've used and it will point you in the right direction.
Have Fun! (click the little Tron 2.0 icon)

It's not lengthy, it's just an answer we don't like seeing: It's illegal to own. As for the "allowed a copy as a backup" stuff...that's a bit of murky waters.

The only company I know that is actively persuing illegal downloads of roms (They even state a "backup" copy is illegal) is Nintendo.

Now, is it illegal? Pretty much, yes.

Are the ROM ninjas going to come crashig through your windows late at night because you own a copy of a game created 20+ years ago? Probably not.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

Smeghead
User

on Sunday, July, 13, 2003 10:40 PM
Its only illegal if you get caught

Anyone want Pirates of the Carribean on divx?

- End of line -

MasterControlProgram
User

on Sunday, July, 13, 2003 11:54 PM

Roms are awesome.. i have tons..

And Porates of the Carribean is a good moive saw it last night... i liked it..

End of Line....

"I want Him the Games Until he DIES playing!"-MCP

Click here to Make Money reading e mails. Sign up is FREE

Nikster
User

on Monday, July, 14, 2003 12:11 AM
I used to have an emulator that made my PC think it was an Apple II...pretty kewl stuff

order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

"The flippity on the google loads the Flynn to the disc battles the guy bad. Day wins. Said nuff!" - DaveTRON

Jack Thompson is to attorneys what Fred Phelps is to organized religion - Me

Qix77
User

on Monday, July, 14, 2003 12:12 AM
From what I understand, Atari 2600 and intellivision roms no longer are attached to the law due to being out of print or something else.

Don't take my word for it because I may be wrong.

Anywayz, just do a little investagation in the emulation world and you'll be surprised.

and welcome to www.tron-sector.comorder abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

DaveTRON
User

on Monday, July, 14, 2003 1:39 AM
How smart is it to post an offer for Pirates of the Carribean on DVD, obviously illegal, on a board actively monitored by Disney people? I think the term you are searching for is "Not Very".

DaveTRON

Qix77
User

on Monday, July, 14, 2003 1:52 AM
DaveTRON Wrote:How smart is it to post an offer for Pirates of the Carribean on DVD, obviously illegal, on a board actively monitored by Disney people? I think the term you are searching for is "Not Very".

When did that happen???? Doesn't anyone understand that warez destroys????

I once heard the same thing when Attack of the Clones was released.....

Nikster
User

on Monday, July, 14, 2003 2:18 AM
DaveTRON Wrote:How smart is it to post an offer for Pirates of the Carribean on DVD, obviously illegal, on a board actively monitored by Disney people? I think the term you are searching for is "Not Very".

Hehe......I have another term for ya...

BUSTED!!!

"The flippity on the google loads the Flynn to the disc battles the guy bad. Day wins. Said nuff!" - DaveTRON

Nikster
User

on Monday, July, 14, 2003 2:24 AM
Qix77 Wrote:

When did that happen???? Doesn't anyone understand that warez destroys????

I once heard the same thing when Attack of the Clones was released.....

And people wonder why movie tickets (and computer games) are so expensive????????????????????

*sigh*
order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

KiaPurity
User

on Monday, July, 14, 2003 2:45 AM
Well, it's only illegal if you get *new* roms of games. Or roms of games that are still selling today.

Although, it's not illegal to hunt down, say, Gorf? I have NEVER seen it in arcades anywhere. I didn't even know that it was an arcade game at all.

I don't mind playing the new roms because it gives me a sample of what I want to see. If I like it, I'll get rid of the rom and buy the game. If I don't like it, I'll get rid of the rom. That way, the game makers win.

But the only roms I can think of are for mostly nintendo games, arcade games, and consoles that had cartidges. I don't know if it's even possible to turn a cd game into a rom, so I don't even go there. Although, I have a PSX emulator on my pc if I'm stuck on a spot on my PSX or PS2 and can't get out of it, so I try my pc. (I don't know why, but I have a much easier time with my keyboard than with a controller... then again, PS2 was my *first* real console that I bought. PSX and Atari 2600 were hand-me-downs.)abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

Qix77
User

on Monday, July, 14, 2003 4:21 AM
I should have read the thread more closely and I skiped the dvd protions...

If anyone is into warez.... reguardless if it's games, movies, apps... etc.... Just stop.

Only download what you know is fair. Otherwise you are putting others out of business. This means no upgrades, sequals, or development in newer ideas...

Don't be a theif..... and if you find potential theives, report them to the SPA....

Don't be a theif.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

Qix77
User

on Monday, July, 14, 2003 4:26 AM
KiaPurity Wrote:Well, it's only illegal if you get *new* roms of games. Or roms of games that are still selling today.

Although, it's not illegal to hunt down, say, Gorf?

I'm not sure about arcade games, but I do know that most home systems (before 1990) are fine outside of nintendo and I think, sega.

Other than that, I have been to many sites where roms are legal..... such as, coleco vision, intellivision, vectortek, commodore, etc...

KiaPurity
User

on Monday, July, 14, 2003 5:30 AM
Arcade games are just super-tricky because you don't know which ones that are still selling.

However, I know that Mrs. Pac and Galazia (Galaxia?) are still selling because I play the latter quite alot whenever I can.

It's really difficult to keep track of arcade machines that are still making money.

curtishart
User

on Monday, July, 14, 2003 9:31 AM
Qix77 Wrote:From what I understand, Atari 2600 and intellivision roms no longer are attached to the law due to being out of print or something else.

Don't take my word for it because I may be wrong.

Anywayz, just do a little investagation in the emulation world and you'll be surprised.

and welcome to www.tron-sector.com

Nope, copyrights are held for a minimum of 70 years before it expires.

That means we'd have to wait until at least 2047 before we can play Atari's Combat. There are many, Many, MANY threads trying to rationalize why it's okay to own these (Out of print, preservation, better than today's games, etc, etc...) but in the end, it's illegal.

Personally, I don't care what people do about this, whether they d/l or not - BUT I'm real strong on making sure people understand what exactly they're doing and don't want them to think it's okay or legal.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

DaveTRON
User

on Monday, July, 14, 2003 2:58 PM
I love the concept of "It's only illegal if you get caught".

I would love to be free to say what I really think of this attitiude.order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

DaveTRON

KiaPurity
User

on Monday, July, 14, 2003 6:30 PM
Really? 70 years? O_o

That I didn't know. I would have thought that it'd be 20-30 years?

Ah well, I need to grab the activision classic game for PSX one of these days because... WOO, PITFALL HARRY!order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

Sketch
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, July, 15, 2003 1:14 AM
Yeah this is one of those grey areas in gaming. I have an emulator I admit, but I do collect older games.
*looks over shoulder at Intellivision, System Changer, and SNES sitting on shelf.*

I will say that it does create an interest in buying the origninal game or consle. The main reason I got my system changer for my intellivision was so I could get some atari games. I still haven't played an actual Atari 2600 in real life. If I ever run into one I will get it to go beside my Intv.

But I do agree on why it's bad for companies as well. There are always going to be people out there that abuse a thing such as that.

User knows I want to have an actual Tron machine. Until I can actaully get one the emulated version will have to quinch that thirst.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 ROMs for the uninformed