Other Sectors 
 PC Build Next Year!

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 4 PagesNextLast
Scuzzy
User

Re: PC Build Next Year!

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2003 4:13 PM
I would say that you're safe with your system. As always be sure that you have the latest video card drivers.

The code for is very good and with your CPU, memory and Video card you should do well.

On a related note, if you have any performance issues with the game I would recommend starting out by turning off the Glow. While very groovy I understand that the effect is done by drawing the screen twice. If you turn this off I am assuming that, being drawn only once, the game will improve.

Also, is anyone with ATI cards noticing that in areas with a lot of glow (the Internet level, for instance) the effect seems foggy since a lot of the glow seems to overlap? I find myself turning off the glow just because of that.

CPU: P4 2.0 GHz
MEM: 512 MB
VID: ATI 9700 Pro

Come on, you scuzzy data, be in there.

MutoidMan
User

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2003 5:59 PM
Qix77 Wrote:I have an AMD Althlon 1.2ghz and I'm wanted to overclock it a bit but I'm a little worried about destroying the processor since it is the only computer I have at the time (outside of a 233mhz computer that I no longer use).

Is it easy to damage a processor by slightly overclocking it? And what type of cooling solution should I use?

I'm certainly no expert at overclocking, but I know where to send you so you can read up on safely overclocking your Athlon.

AMDZone
AnandTech
Overclockers Club
OC Addiction

You should be able to find articles on how to OC. Also, search the sites' forums and post questions.

I figure AMDZone should be the only place you'll need to go, but you may want to check out the other sites anyway.

Good luck!

abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

"We are, after all, not God." - Cmdr. J. J. Adams
"C is for cookie. That's good enough for me." - Cookie Monster
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man." - Huey Lewis & the News

Most recent PC game collection update: 04/12/2012. Check it out!

KiaPurity
User

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2003 7:07 PM
unfortunately, I don't get that issue, Scuzzy. :P

Because of this stupid Nvidia card that my fiance made me get. *kicks her PC* I'd have been happier with an ATI card. So far, it hasn't given me problems... YET.

On a new note, I have a very odd issue with playing UT2k3. Can't play it for longer than around 30 minutes or the computer will suddenly reboot. I think there's something fudged in between my PC and UT2k3. People assumed that it was a cooling issue. Not so, the basement is so cold to the point that my computer only feels luke-warm. ...well, semi-luke warm. It's not giving out much heat.

Irony: My brother can play UT2k3 on the other PC that's running Windows 98 SE with Geforce 2 card, and speed is at least 500 mhz. Yet my obviously superior computer has problems. :P

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

Scuzzy
User

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2003 7:23 PM
Just in case you don't know, there is a new virus out that is exploiting your RPC service under Windows 2000 and XP. You need to patch your system to fix it.

Here's the bulletin: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...in/MS03-026.asp

Please patch those systems. People are getting hit hard and fast with this one. Unless you have patched, you ARE vulnerable, and you WILL be hit with this one.

Windows 2000 Patch: http://download.microsoft.com/downl...980-x86-ENU.exe

Windows XP Patch: http://download.microsoft.com/downl...980-x86-ENU.exe

KiaPurity
User

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2003 7:29 PM
Already patched. I can't seem to attract the worst viruses anyway. Heh.

MutoidMan
User

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2003 7:38 PM
KiaPurity Wrote:unfortunately, I don't get that issue, Scuzzy. :P

Because of this stupid Nvidia card that my fiance made me get. *kicks her PC* I'd have been happier with an ATI card. So far, it hasn't given me problems... YET.

On a new note, I have a very odd issue with playing UT2k3. Can't play it for longer than around 30 minutes or the computer will suddenly reboot. I think there's something fudged in between my PC and UT2k3. People assumed that it was a cooling issue. Not so, the basement is so cold to the point that my computer only feels luke-warm. ...well, semi-luke warm. It's not giving out much heat.

Irony: My brother can play UT2k3 on the other PC that's running Windows 98 SE with Geforce 2 card, and speed is at least 500 mhz. Yet my obviously superior computer has problems. :P

There aren't any cards in the 1st PCI slot (the PCI slot closest to the AGP slot), are there? If so, that's your problem right there. Move that card to another slot and you should be fine.

"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man." - Huey Lewis & the News

Scuzzy
User

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2003 8:22 PM
Nope, I already have PCI1 open. I stagger the cards.

MutoidMan
User

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2003 10:00 PM
Scuzzy Wrote:Nope, I already have PCI1 open. I stagger the cards.

I'm sorry If I didn't make myself clear; I was addressing KiaPurity's PC problems... unless you are the fiance that made her get that "stupid Nvidia card"! order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

Scuzzy
User

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2003 10:06 PM
Oh. I didn't read the original quote. Nevermind.

Qix77
User

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2003 11:48 PM
Ok... Thanks for the input everyone... and thanks for the links, Mutoidman.

I'm just kicking around the idea for the moment. I've never done it myself do to the fear of processor damage, but I still might give it a shot just for kicks....

Thanks again...

KiaPurity
User

on Thursday, August, 14, 2003 12:26 AM
blast it, it's been a while. I'll have to look at the back.

Scuzzy
User

on Thursday, August, 14, 2003 12:30 AM
Qix77 Wrote:Ok... Thanks for the input everyone... and thanks for the links, Mutoidman.

I'm just kicking around the idea for the moment. I've never done it myself do to the fear of processor damage, but I still might give it a shot just for kicks....

Thanks again...

Unless you have the $$$ for a new CPU, don't. on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

Scuzzy
User

on Thursday, August, 14, 2003 12:31 AM
BTW, I turned off all the cool fx for the game and it still looks pretty sweet. I don't think anyone should worry too much if they can't get all the eye-candy in. It's still a lush beauty of a game. where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

KiaPurity
User

on Thursday, August, 14, 2003 12:54 AM
Nope. Not in that slot. It puzzles me though. UT and Tron 2.0 demos play great on my computer, but it just freaks out with UT2k3where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

Qix77
User

on Thursday, August, 14, 2003 1:01 AM
Scuzzy,

Well... $$$ is hard for me to come by these days... I have those nasty bills.... I might pull an "Office Space" and just say, ".... I was thinking about it and I decided I'm not going to pay bills anymore.." lol.... I love that movie...

But since I'm going to build a new system next year anyways, I'll take your advice and wait..

Kia,

UT2k3 is a monster when it comes to running it on a computer... Mine runs ok but I know I'll really enjoy it when I build me a newer computer..

Oh... UT2k4 (which is more of a very large upgrade to UT2k3) is suppose to be out by Oct. last I heard.

I'm wanting to make Tron levels for UT2kx but since the demo is out, I spend more time playing than doing anything else.... Oh well...

MutoidMan
User

on Thursday, August, 14, 2003 1:29 AM
KiaPurity Wrote:Nope. Not in that slot. It puzzles me though. UT and Tron 2.0 demos play great on my computer, but it just freaks out with UT2k3

Nothing in that slot?

Hmmm... OK, let's run through the basics:

Do you have DirectX 9.0b?

Have you updated to the latest 45.23 Detonator XP drivers for your nVidia card?

Do you have the latest sound card (or onboard sound) drivers?

Have you updated UT2K3 with the latest patch - Retail 2225?

KiaPurity
User

on Thursday, August, 14, 2003 1:40 AM
yes to all but the beta thing. I'm not sure if I want to go beta. ._. From what I was told, it's very suicidal to use beta drivers.

MutoidMan
User

on Thursday, August, 14, 2003 2:32 AM
Which is beta?

KiaPurity
User

on Thursday, August, 14, 2003 7:00 AM
"Do you have DirectX 9.0b?"

I assume the b in that is Beta?

Scuzzy
User

on Thursday, August, 14, 2003 9:19 AM
'b' as in a small update. It's gone like this:

9.0a
9.0b

Next will be 9.1.

FirstPrevious Page: of 4 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums