General Discussion 
 Constructing a TRON circuitry suit...

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Monday, December, 29, 2003 8:02 PM
I am going to attempt constructing a TRON circuitry suit. The look I'm going for is more of the original TRON film look, but not exactly any specific character. My circuit suit will be unique, as all programs are unique. I will take some liberties as well.

I'm not exactly sure how to go about this. I've been scanning through hockey accessories on www.dickssportinggoods.com. The costumes in the movie TRON seem similar to the padding that's worn under a hockey uniform. I think this is my best bet in creating a similar TRON look, or at least a good starting place.

You can see some of the selections I'm pondering here. (100KB)

I am wondering, when these things are all detailed with glowing trim and circuitry, will they just look like odd, glowing hockey padding & helmet, or will it look like a cool TRON circuitry suit?

I'd hate to go spending all this money and time on something that is laughable when completed.

If I go with the padding, how should I go about the forearm pieces? I cannot find padding similar to the forearm pieces worn by TRON and RAM. Any good ideas on these? I'm kind of against just modifying shin guards for my forearms.

As for the tights, I am thinking of investing in some kind of skin tight sporting wear, a shirt and pants. I just need to be sure I can add detailing to them that won't rub off too easily AND maintain a consistent color with the padding and helmet.

Everything will need to be painted over and detailed. Painting them over (the background color) shouldn't be too hard... just need to find the right paint and make sure it's non-gloss, non-shine, and won't peel when the parts move... if such a paint exists.

The detailing will be the tough part. I can see this taking weeks to finish... perhaps months given how little spare time I have. I really should have gotten started on this project sooner - I had hoped to use the circuitry suit in January.

Ok, if I go with the hockey padding - what about the feet?

I have an old pair of moon boots... jeez, does anybody even remember moon boots? I'd really hate to paint them up, but then again, they've been just sitting in a box for 20+ years now.

If not moon boots, what kind of footwear would look right?

Ok, I can use some advice if anyone has some. I'm very serious about this - it HAS to look good, not laughable. When I'm done, I hope to have something that looks like it might have made it in the film, not just something that looks like a fun Halloween costume This will NOT be worn to any Halloween like functions.

Tips? Pointers?

Darksaber7
User

Re: Constructing a TRON circuitry suit...

on Monday, December, 29, 2003 8:50 PM
Sounds like a cool project!

Here's my 2 cents worth:

If you should decide to go with chest armor, motor cross chest protectors would do a good job (I think). In the pic below, Ram looks just like he is wearing them.

You can get them in cloth w/ plastic armor or all plastic. The all plastic would be easy to paint or glue stuff to. There are many types and colors in all price ranges. You might even find a cheap used pair that aren't too beat up. (mine are real beat up! ) Most also have shoulder and upper arm armor. I think it would be easier than trying to alter a shirt to look right.

Just a thought...

Don't you wish your corruption was hot like me?

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Monday, December, 29, 2003 9:26 PM
Thanks for the tip, Darksaber7!

I just looked up some Motocross Chest Protectors - they look closer to TRON gear than the hockey pads!

These things are pretty cool looking - I'm so glad you mentioned them. They're more expensive, but closer to the desired look.

There's a guy at work who does stunt dirt bike trials - I'll have to see where he gets his gear, he might know of some good deals. I think this is the kind of stuff he wears when he does shows.

Yes - good stuff. I'm already leaning much more toward the Motocross Chest Protectors. They even have cool designs that would make the circuitry detailing easier as I could work around the designs and shapes already in the plating.

**does some more searching **

Oooo - what's this? "Pressure suits"? For $200.00, I can have a cool full upper-body armor thing to detail.

It would be very simple and easy to get in and out of this... though I'd be taking even more liberties in the look of it all.

Or maybe something more like this

Hmmm, much to think about.
abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

Compucore
User

on Monday, December, 29, 2003 9:36 PM
THe second to last looks good. But in black doesn't look too good. If it was in white where you could put in the reflective or other stuff that would make it glow when your going under the blue lighting there. Then it would look excellent. Or Leave it as it is and just put in the white tape that would reflect the blue colour from the lamp itself. But thats just my little 2 cents worth.

where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Darksaber7
User

on Monday, December, 29, 2003 9:41 PM
Yes...

With a clear/black color, you could get a nice "metallic" look under the circuitry (liberties!).

Another thing to look at are the knee/shin guards MXers wear under their gear. Hard plastic, held on with velcro straps, usually an easy to paint plain black. Most of them would be hidden by any high boot, but the "floating knee guard" might be a nice effect. There are ones for about $20. (I decided to invest in these after my bike attacked me for no reason one day...)

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Monday, December, 29, 2003 9:50 PM
The original color of the gear is not too important. I'm probably going to have to completely repaint them with a non-glossy and durable paint. I already have the color scheme picked out.

Anyway I'm finding all sorts of cool chest protective gear on the net. I'm going to have to hook up with that guy at work who does bike trials and see if he can tip me off to a good local place that won't cost a bundle... though for TRON, I'd pay a bit more. I mean, hey - it's TRON

And I am looking in to the knee and shin guards. I think I'm going to have to just take a stroll through a store and see what strikes my eye.

Keep ideas coming - this is good stuff! Far better than my original thought of hockey padding.

Darksaber7
User

on Monday, December, 29, 2003 10:00 PM
The nice thing would be that you don't need the gear for actual protection. So you could get the cheaper stuff and paint it, cut it or whatever you need!

where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

Compucore
User

on Monday, December, 29, 2003 11:01 PM
And we cannot forget that all elusive disk too there. THe other thing that comes to mind is either those gloves that the guards wear or the armor that Flynn, Yori and the others wore in the film. Got to choose a lot of things for your costume there.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, December, 30, 2003 10:31 AM
Yeah - the gear doesn't need to offer an ounce of protection... except from stray flying discs I'm hoping I can go for a cool, yet cheaper version of whatever style I think suits it best since protection is really not an issue.

I hope I don't have to modify it too much. My main concern is getting it properly detailed - that's probably the key to making it look like it's right out of the world of TRON.

And I won't forget my disc! A TRON suit without a data disc is like an egg without salt! I've actually been pondering how to make it attach to the back. I want to be able to attach it and detach it without any major hassles. I'll have to see what I end up with before I can properly address that issue.

Sketch
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, December, 30, 2003 10:50 AM
Here's an idea for getting the disc to attach to the back.
Attach a good magnet to the back of the suit under the cloth or padded vest. Then attach a flat thin piece of metal on the underside of the disc. Need something that will really keep the metal attached to the disc cause you don't want the metal to accidentally get pulled off. The disc will then stick to the back of the suit where the magnet is. If the metal dosen't stick good enough, then you can always put a magnet on the disc, BUT than might make both magnets stick too well together, thus fusing the disc to your back.

That's just an idea I've had for a while.

Velcro might work, but it wears out, and it might not be able to hold the disc if it's too heavy. Plus you'd have to press the disc to your back to get it to stick right and the velcro might come off if your not careful.where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, December, 30, 2003 12:19 PM
Thanks for the Disc attaching tips, Sketch!

The magnet idea - I never would have thought of that. Heck, I'm not sure I would have thought of velcro either. I was thinking of some kind of snap like device, but I had no idea how to do the snap thing.

I'm going to investigate the magnet and velcro methods. One of those should do the trick.

I spoke with the guy who does the trials and stunk off-road motor biking. He gave me the name of a place not too far from me. Their prices aren't great (bummer), but he gets some discounts there, so he might be able to help me out in that department if I asked politely. I didn't really want to spend several hundred on this thing... but I'm serious enough about it to do so if I need. I need to go there and check this stuff out.

You know - I actually had trouble sleeping last night because of this project. I got all excited about it just before trying to sleep and it kept me awake.

I've been pondering the TRON suit for a long time now. Now I'm getting serious about it and can see it happening in my mind. Still, the motorcross gear is only step one.

Sketch
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, December, 30, 2003 1:12 PM
Do you already have a helmet? The type that they used in the film are Cooper brand.

Tron wears a COOPER SK2000
Sark's warriors wear a COOPER SK600

You can find them on ebay. They are a very nice, cause they are actually 2 pieces which can be adjusted to fit just about any size head. It dosen't matter if they have a mask or extra ear pices on them, cause you can easily remove that with a screwdriver.

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, December, 30, 2003 1:16 PM
I had no idea what kind of helmet they wore. I thought they were studio modified hockey helmets.

I did a couple of quick searches on the COOPER SK2000, but just found other people looking for them and some "Acceptable equipment" lists.

Man - do they even still make those? I was going to get a helmet similar to one of the two in my original posting (see the link).

I'm going to research this Cooper helmet - if I can get that much closer to the TRON look, I'll be very happy!

Thanks for the tip!

Sketch
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, December, 30, 2003 1:37 PM
They just took the hockey helmets and modified them for the film is all. The Tron helmet they added a back piece to cover the neck. I've already forgot what material Lisberger said they used. Do you remember what material he said it was Dave?

They don't make those helmets anymore, but you can find unused new ones on the net if you look hard enough. Mine is new and still has all the original certification stickers on it. Mine is a SK2000 L (Large). I have 2 actually since the first one has so many scratches on it.

But check out Ebay. Your bound to find a few over there.where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, December, 30, 2003 1:40 PM
Yeah - it's that back of the helmet piece that really makes the TRON helmets different from regular helmets.

I was just reviewing the TRON production photos I printed out to assist me when I shop. The helmets all have that lower back part, which makes them less "hockey" looking.

It's gonna take a some figuring to get that part right.
order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

Darksaber7
User

on Tuesday, December, 30, 2003 6:46 PM
You can get generic foam that would make the back part of the helmet. The shop I work at has it lying around in 1" to 4" thick peices.

It might be difficult to shape, paint, etc... I don't know. I'll get a peice tomorrow, do some tests and let you know. It might be usefull for any area you needed to "fill in". We just use it for padding on things we have to ship UPS.

Also, back to the MX gear, be sure to check some online places. You might have already, but you can almost always get a better deal online than in any store. (Some of my friends have quit riding recently. I'll also ask if they want to ditch their gear. But depending on your location, it might cost as much to ship them as buy them!)

Jeez... Now I'm getting excited about this. Hmmm. I could always put off a few other projects...

Compucore
User

on Tuesday, December, 30, 2003 7:50 PM
Would a similar disk like this one that I have here would help you out??

http://www26.brinkster.com/compucore/Trondisk.jpg

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, December, 30, 2003 9:23 PM
Holy cow, Compucore! Look at the size of that disc photo... in all it's 300dpi glory!

Actually, a plain, smooth disc like that should make for a good data disc, when properly detailed. I haven't even looked in to the disc thing yet... I'm very frustrated with the body armor part lately.

I've been all over the net looking at Motocross gear. I haven't really found anything highly close to what was used in TRON. I'm using RAM and Warrior production stills as reference in my search.

I actually was going to venture out earlier today and check some chest protectors out in person today, but I got side tracked.

On the net, this is probably what I've found that's closest to what I'm looking for right now... and I'm not even that sold on this.

http://www.motorhelmets.com/pics-general/fox-bodyarmor-roost204.jpg

I've checked ebay for chest protection gear, but their selection is limited in that area. I was all over the site www.motorhelmets.com (where the above link is from) and I can't even find something I'm very happy with there either.

The gear is so different that what they used to make it like back 20 years ago.

Darksaber7 - It would be cool if you checked out that foam at your job. See if it's workable or just foamy. I was going to check some local craft shops for a foam like substance to construct the forearm parts with... not that I know how to construct those, but I'll have to figure something out.

Man, this project is getting more difficult BEFORE I even get all the parts to detail.

Perhaps I just need to browse that Motocross store and see if anything there strikes a TRON resemblance... assuming they have a better selection than the websites I've been on.

I've gotten some great feedback already - I'm sure there'll be more tips to keep me in the right direction

I really appreciate all the input I'm getting on this.

I know it's some time off, but I can't wait to see my TRON gear, glowing with brilliant energy! Jeez, I suppose I'll need tons of batteries for that

**takes a moment to double back on earlier postings **

Haaaaaa! Wouldn't you know it! I've found the SAME chest protector on TWO sites and liked it enough both times to consider it an option! I have to keep better track of these things!

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Wednesday, December, 31, 2003 4:10 PM
I just got back from a local Motocross dealer. I checked out the chest protectors they had in stock. They looked very similar to what I found on the net so far.

I expected that seeing them in person might make it easier to pick one out... but it in fact it confused me more! I feel like I have less of a grasp on the chest and shoulder elements than I did before I went there!

I showed the manager production photos of RAM, TRON, Flynn and a warrior. I told him what I was setting out to do. Amazingly, he was familiar with the movie and even said he saw it a few times, though I didn't get the impression he was much of a fan of it or anything. You'd be surprised how many people I ask "have you seen TRON" just to get a confused look and a "huh?" back. Anyway, the manager and another guy on duty looked at the photos and rattled off a few old-style items they recalled - items that were no longer made.

Ok, I'm really stuck now. Scouring the net has revealed little that I find really suitable for this part of the costume. Going and checking them out in person didn't help much at all. In fact, seeing them in person also revealed that pretty much all of these chest protectors have dozens of little holes in them... that I'll need to figure out fill in.

I am wondering if I'm in over my head here. I can do a lot of cool stuff with imagery, video, visual FX, image manipulation, etc, but I'm not really that handy with making things like this. It seems I'll have to do much more than just paint and detail these pieces. Filling in holes... I'm not even sure what kind of substance to use for that - something that would be durable enough.

The other night, I was so excited about this project, I had trouble sleeping.

Today, I'm thinking I'd have better luck finding myself a laser facility and just try digitizing myself for real - it would be a lot easier

I'm thinking over more options for this. I want a TRON suit... I will have a TRON suit.

I might check out some local shops - perhaps someone might be able to fabricate the body-armor parts I'd need for a reasonable fee. Even if I had already settled on the chest and shoulder pieces, I'd need to find a way to make the forearm parts - not sure how to do that (not well, anyway). So maybe I'll need to seek some help from a skilled craftsperson, or costume designer.

For now, I'm off to check out some more stuff on the net. Perhaps I'll find something I can use, or find other options.
where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

kmon
User

on Wednesday, December, 31, 2003 6:28 PM
There are lots of way of contruscting this. You need to ask your self how 'real' you want it to look, or feel. First, I'd use glow wire, fairly cheap and really cool stuff, you can even get kits that can change color and most have dimmers to adjust the brightness. As for the suit itself, lots of options. The motocross idea would be great if you could find the 'perfect' suit. As you've found out, much easier said then done. If I were to do it, I'd hand sew the suit and reinforce with hard foam, and make the outside 'armour' out of fiberglass. If you put the proper time into it, you could get a VERY cool looking suite. If you have tons and tons of time, you might even consider using the super bright leds to light up the rest of the suit and complete the glow effect. Good luck to you, and if you need any help with fiberglassing email me and I'll see if i can help.

As a side note, carbon fibre would work as well, but is much more expensive. Your choice...though a carbon fibre tron suit is kindof fun to say

^^ Full tower gamer ^^

Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion