Film Chat 
 An interesting idea...

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 2 Pages
Tron Fanatic
User

Re: An interesting idea...

on Thursday, May, 06, 2004 12:00 PM
oh, and another thought on hackers (my we are off topic) most computers do not react to a hacker in any other way other than normal. and so, I would think programs would react to a large worm popping up everywhere... though I suppose it's possible that the seeker only would pop up when it neede to change something.
I think that might only be partially true. Computers sometimes will respond differently to hackers, depending on the security measures. The MCP obviously didn't treat Flynn like just any other user even though he had the proper access - but then one could argue that the MCP was a "living machine" by normal scifi standards. There's a lot more going on in the program world than what we classify as normal computer function. The Programs are out having a good time when not needed, can do things that they weren't instructed, etc. So it seems possible that a hacker or virus presence would have an impact even though it might be transparent to us.

For example, if a common worm virus entered a system, Programs would most likely know that something was wrong. It would be instructing the emailers to do things that they know their User didn't authorize, but the worm could simply then choose to be a bit more forceful (threatening, torture?) to convince the programs to carry out its instructions. They'd like to eliminate the worm, but they don't have the capacity to do it, and neither does the system's Antivirus, until it recieves an upgrade enabling it to do so. Remember that Tron already wanted to take out the MCP, but he couldn't until Alan upgraded his code. This to us would seems just as if we updated our Antivirus and then it could deal with the latest infection.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

'>

FreedomForever
User

Re: An interesting idea...

on Sunday, June, 12, 2005 12:52 PM
This thread is way old, but......

A normal virus is not going to look like Thorne. I'm not sure exactly WHAT it would look like, but here are my ideas:

A virus might just look like a normal program, only different slightly. It would travel covertly via email and then enter a system and start running around derezzing random programs and objects. If any normal program comes into physical contact with this virus, that program will become infected. From there the infection proceeds like a disease in the human world, eventally derezzing the victim, and can be transmitted from a infected non-virus program to a healthy program. A virus is programmed to destroy data, so this might make sense.

Another type might also look like a digital shapeshifter, as some people said, disguising itself as a harmless program while covertly absorbing other programs to gain acess to restricted areas.

Tron Fanatic, your thing about "worm viruses" made sense. But if a non-virus program is sentient, viruses probably are as well.

TF again, your thing about "hive-mind" viruses reminded me of an idea I had for a fanfic where the characters had to fight a virus that operated sort of like Thorne, only it had no one central source, instead it had these "brood-leaders" who could have their own bodies, or use other programs as "hosts". The normal individuals of this virus are sort of like Zlots, ony it's a sort of hive-mind thing. What's really freaky is that they think they're doing the programs they infect a favor. They think our normal program guys are a bunch of deluded, pityable fools who honestly believe that their fragmented and unenlightened ways are correct.(Someone tell them to look in the mirror!) They seek their own messed up version of perfection. They honestly think they're the good guys. (to my fellow Tron fans who also like Star Trek: Can anyone say "Borg"?)

And yes, Thorne's minions and Thorne himself are CREEPY!

FirstPrevious Page: of 2 Pages
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Film Chat 
 An interesting idea...