So it looks like the TRON 2.0 multiplayer get together will start at 8PM Eastern Time
) tomorrow. (Saturday, June 21.
) If for any reason there's a change in plans, I'll let you know here.
During the event, Parallax Abstraction will be recording all the multiplayer matches, which will be featured in video(s) that are part of a retrospective series of TRON 2.0 he's been doing on his YouTube channel at:
PXA has played TRON 2.0 multiplayer before, and bought the game at launch. His favorite game type is Light Cycles, so we'll probably be starting with that. But he's agreed to cover all the game types, so Disc Arena and Derez modes should also be covered.
To make it easier for him to record everything, I've changed up the way I normally run the servers. Instead of 6 servers, there are only 3 this weekend. Normally, I keep the Retail and Custom maps on separate servers for each game type. (LC/Retail, LC/Custom, DA/Retail, DA/Custom, DM/Retail, DM/Custom.) I normally do it that way so people without Custom fan-made maps can still play on the Retail servers, and won't get kicked off when a map loads that they don't have.
This time, the Retail and Custom maps will be mixed together. So, to keep from being kicked off, you'll need to download the Complete Map Pack with all the custom fan-made maps.
Here's how to prepare for the event, and get everything you need up and running, in order to play.
1. Install TRON 2.0 if you haven't already.
2. Install the Unofficial Patch.
3. Watch this video, and set the game to run with Administrator privileges, the way it shows how to, on Windows Vista/7/8.
4. Run the game. If you just installed TRON 2.0, this is also a test to see that it's working correctly. You can play a bit of the game if you want to test it. But if you didn't just install the game, you can quit the game right away from the main menu.
5. Install the Killer App Mod, because we'll be using it.
6. Install the Complete Map Pack, with all the fan-made maps.
7. Run the game again. Don't use the Mod Manager. Use the original Tron 2.0 icon to run the game's own launcher. This is to test if the Killer App Mod is working correctly. You'll know right away if it's working, because there are changes to the main menu. This is also necessary to get the game to recognize that the new maps are installed. Quit the game.
If you have any problems with the mod, you can find help here:
8. Install the Multiplayer Fix:
All the downloads have 2 links. Mirror 1 and Mirror 2 both have the same file for each download. There are two Mirrors so that one of them acts as a backup if the other download isn't working at that moment.
When you install the Fix and it asks if you want to automatically configure Qtracker, say Yes. This process will take at least a couple of minutes on a modern computer, so please be patient. The installer has not crashed, it just takes a while.
There's also a video that shows how to install and use the Fix:
After all that, you should be set. I realize that's a lot of steps to go through, to get it all working. This is something that's being addressed in v1.2 of the Killer App Mod. A lot of the additional add-ons and extra steps will be handled automatically in the next version of the mod.
So once everything is installed and working, the easiest way to find and join the servers is to click the icon on your desktop (or in the Start menu) called "TRON 2.0 Server List by tron-servers.net". This will open your web browser and take you to a page that lists TRON 2.0 servers.
Now, you just click on the LDSO server that you want to join. Your browser will probably ask your permission to allow Qtracker to run. Once you give permission: Qtracker will load, then launch TRON 2.0 and connect to that server.
You guys might want to already do all this stuff tonight, or tomorrow afternoon, in case you run into any trouble getting things to work. So that you can ask for help before the event starts.
See you all on the Grid!