Film Chat 
 The PimpDragon's Review of "I, ROBOT"

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
The PimpDragon
User

on Friday, July, 16, 2004 9:55 PM
First off, one thing you should know about me is I am a TRUE SCI-FI GEEK!!! If a film even looks remotely sci-fi, I'm there.

So, when I saw that Alex Proyas, director of Dark City, (which is, in my humble opinion, one of the best sci-fi films since Blade Runner and Tron), was tackling the world of I, Robot, I was IMMEDIATELY a paying customer.

Proyas, who started in Hollywood with the stylish comic adaptation of James O'Barr's The Crow, really made a name for himself as a filmmaker with Dark City - the film Roger Ebert himself proclaimed the Best Film of 1998. He showed that he could work with unique concepts and visual effects and still handle nuances of performance and characterization.

So, how does his Junior effort, I, Robot do?

Well, I am totally sold on it.

This may be my favorite film of the summer, next only to Spidey 2 and Dawn of the Dead. This film - like those two - really delivered the goods to me in the form of good characters, excellent effects and strong pacing.

But I will be the first to say it should not have been called "I, Robot". It really has little to do with Asimov's sci-fi classic, with the exception of names of characters and the 3 laws.

But anyways, on to the film.

Detective Del Spooner (Will Smith) could easily be labeled a robophobe, but in Chicago 2039, that's a bad thing to be. Robots are EVERYWHERE. They're our garbage men, they walk our dogs, they live in our homes with us as personal servants.

But can they be trusted?

Spooner has never trusted them, and with the past he has, you understand how he'd have trouble dealing with them. I won't ruin the story, but I'll say that a major event in his life occurs and the outcome is not how he would have chosen it to be, but rather how a robot chose for it to be.

On the eve of what will be a new dawn in robotics - the release of the NS-5 (the ultimate robot) - a tragedy occurs within NSR. NSR is the company that will change the face of the planet by bringing 1 robot to every 5 humans on the market. However, this historic event is marred by the odd suicide of the creater of the NS-5, Dr. Alfred Lanning (James Cromwell). Lanning leaves a hologram specifically asking for Spooner, with who you'll later discover, he has a history with. Again, I won't go into it, but you will see why he picked Spooner of all people to share his secrets with.

Spooner finds the doctor's greatest creation - Sonny - hiding out in the room where Lanning jumped out of a window. But Spooner doesn't believe Lanning's death was a suicide. Rather, he believes Lanning to be the victim of a homocide - the first homocide committed by a robot - SONNY.

We find that Sonny is not like other NS-5s. He has intelligence that is of his own, an A.I. if you will. Sonny thinks. Sonny dreams. Sonny is, in his own words, UNIQUE. And Lanning programmed him with secrets regarding the future of robotics, their sentience and who his murderer truly was.

From here, the film becomes an interesting view of a future where not everything, nor everyone, is what they seem. Spooner is the one man who sees what's going on, while the rest of the world will not be convinced that a robot - any robot - could commit any crime, let alone murder.

But the film is much more than the sum of its parts. Yes, there are some typical summer action movie cliches, but overall this is a fun and inventive film. The look of the film is stunning, and the robots are just amazing! The joints and servos and other mechanisms are moving constantly and doing different things in their arms, shoulders, necks, and internally. They really are wonders of special effects.

The character of Sonny really becomes my favorite character in the film, and that's no slight on Will Smith. He actually delivers a deeper role here than I expected to get from him and still seems to get his sense of humor in without overkill, ala Independence Day.

But Sonny offers many philosophical ideas. Can an intelligence, a

Sketch
Sector Admin

Re: The PimpDragon's Review of "I, ROBOT"

on Friday, July, 16, 2004 10:36 PM
I just got back from seeing it and loved every single second of the film. Once it comes out on DVD I am buying it for sure. I love robots.

*glaces over at his ever growing robot collection and grins*

I loved the design of the NS-5s and how well the robots interacted with people and their surroundings. The special effects team did such a great job creating a believeable robot both in design and form.

I Robot action figures would be sweet.

They could do a talking Sonny with an interchangable battle damage arm and docking chair. With a transparent body mold over a regualr colored body frame toy makers could duplicate the look of the robots. The regular NS-5s could have a red light up feature built in and could have removable arms, legs, and head so you could take them apart like ultimate battle damage. Heck they could even have action figures of the older style robots seen in the movie.

Ah, I'm dreaming... order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

The Tweaker
User

My Review of "I, ROBOT"

on Sunday, July, 25, 2004 1:06 PM
I went to I, Robot expecting to see another high-budget technophobic "robots are scary" movie, and was pleasantly surprised. The movie actually shares its basic plot with an Asimov short story by the name of "...That Thou Art Mindful Of Him". And seeing Dr. Susan Calvin was a hoot, of course, though she seemed a little too effeminate by the end of the movie-- I liked the cold-as-steel don't-even-think-about-it Susan Calvin better. The movie is about robots, but its message is certainly not the "robots are scary and by extension evil" crap we've seen in so many other places. I was intrigued by this film's advertising campaign: They use people's ingrained technophobic "Frankenstein complex" to get them to come and see the film, then they show them a film that, on second look, is much deeper than that.

Watching the robots fight was awesome. Like deadly ballet. I especially liked the shot where Sonny tosses this mission-critical canister up in the air, terminates a robot in bullet-time, catches the canister, and goes. Wow.

Go see this movie! If you liked Tron, chances are you'll like this!

Tweaker.exe

IsoLine
User

on Sunday, July, 25, 2004 8:57 PM
I wasn't that enthusiastic about it, so I am avoiding it. First off, I absolutely cannot stand Wil Smith. The last time I feel he genuinely "acted" for a role was in "Six Degrees of Separation" if you ask me and to me that matters. I find his personality showing up in all his characters and to me its rather annoying. His wife is 100 times a better actor than him and she doesn't get alot of roles that require her to "stretch" either but I can sense her attempt to become the roles she gets. It may sound snobbish of me, but I come from that world so people that show they can act really show me they respect the art and that to me is key no matter what medium you are acting in.

Secondly though I like Proyas, the film shares too many similarities to the Adam Link stories of which there was indeed an episode entitled "I, Robot" and was essentially about a robot that is put on trial for being the prime suspect in the murder of his creator. I believe the Adam Link stories were written by the Binder brothers in the late 50's and they did both an old and new Outer Limits version to boot. Oddly enough, I am not the slightest bit upset over the inconsistancies in this movie to Asimov's work. Asimov was indeed a great writer, but to me he seemed like a preacher. Evinced that robots were man's destiny and that we needed a kinship with them. That we needed to be a "god" and master of something that was genuinely our equal. Though I respect him, I don't share his personification of machines. Its a bit too sentimental and somewhat fetishistic to me. Japanese culture also tends to share this facination. Not very flattering to me at all.

Thirdly, though the effects looked really great, I guess I am getting jaded in my old age. Computer generated robots of that quality are really not a big "wow" factor for me. I think I was more impressed with the robots in Bjork's "All is Full Of Love" video, which look like they inspired the robots in this film to an extent. This coupled with Smith were not enough to compel me to see the film.

Though I am not a big fan of Matt Damon, I thought he was dynamite in "Bourne Supremacy". Defineately worth checking out if you like suspense and intrigue. That and I can't wait for the "Manchurian Candidate" and "The Village".

"Word to the Motherboard!" - IsoLine

Traahn
User

on Saturday, August, 14, 2004 6:41 PM
I really enjoyed I, Robot. Since I didn't know all the Asimov past history, etc., the elements of the story were new to me. I usually find Wil Smith's movies quite entertaining and I'm not annoyed by his acting at all.

I hated "The Village." Anti-climactic and boring. Ever since the Sixth Sense, Shyamalan's movies have gone down hill in my book.

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

harpo989
User

on Saturday, August, 14, 2004 7:50 PM
I won't comment on The Village, seeing as I haven't seen it yet...

I really enjoyed I, Robot. like some others, I hadn't read the original collection, but I really liked the story anyway. I don't know why, but it reminded me of Ray Bradbury... (sans all the robots being blown up) -go figure. I thought Will Smith did a great job in this movie, and yes, I have liked his previous films, I just thought he did a great job *without* ing jokes the hole time.

------------
Harpo989: The original fConer. (Now with (0rr[up73d fruit flavoring!)

Traahn
User

on Saturday, August, 14, 2004 10:19 PM
I agree. Sorry for the comment on The Village. Hopefully it doesn't ruin anything for you or anyone, but hey -- I didn't give too much info out. And I know plenty of people who actually liked The Village. It just didn't do it for me, personally. I was getting distracted by someone behind me the whole time, so maybe the distraction made me lose focus of the film. Could very well be...

IsoLine
User

on Saturday, August, 14, 2004 11:23 PM
Traahn Wrote:I agree. Sorry for the comment on The Village. Hopefully it doesn't ruin anything for you or anyone, but hey -- I didn't give too much info out. And I know plenty of people who actually liked The Village. It just didn't do it for me, personally. I was getting distracted by someone behind me the whole time, so maybe the distraction made me lose focus of the film. Could very well be...

I wasn't too disapointed with the Village. What bothers me as that the idea was blaringly un-original, it did have alot of similarities with "Running Out of Time" by Haddix which I read long ago and kept being reminded of as I watched the film.

Traahn
User

on Sunday, August, 15, 2004 1:03 AM
Was 'The Village' supposed to be a remake of that story? Or was it a blatant rip-off?

IsoLine
User

on Monday, August, 16, 2004 3:58 AM
Traahn Wrote:Was 'The Village' supposed to be a remake of that story? Or was it a blatant rip-off?

No actually, M. Night supposedly created the story and screenplay for the Village all on his own. Which makes the allegations even more shocking if you ask me.

Traahn
User

on Monday, August, 16, 2004 2:13 PM
There have been so many stories and movies made over the years, I could imagine it'd be quite difficult to make a story that's completely, 100% original... even if you think it's completely on your own. Seems like so many stories have been told throughout the years.on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

IsoLine
User

on Monday, August, 16, 2004 9:09 PM
Traahn Wrote:There have been so many stories and movies made over the years, I could imagine it'd be quite difficult to make a story that's completely, 100% original... even if you think it's completely on your own. Seems like so many stories have been told throughout the years.

Agreed. Just the other day I was challenging someones notion of "Dark City" being 100% original from the mind of Proyas. He was rather shocked when I pointed out that alot of the concept from the movie matched Phillip K. Dick's short story "Adjustment Team". So I totally know what you are talking about. I still get kinda surprised when I hear or find too many similarities in supposedly disparate works. I guess thats the 10% of me that is still stuck in my media law class from ages ago.

The PimpDragon
User

on Saturday, September, 04, 2004 9:38 AM
Dark City is such a great film!

I'm glad to see others mention it and I get so excited to talk about that film!

Next to Tron and Blade Runner, Dark City may be my favorite sci-fi film! I love the look of the film, the tuning, the city itself, the characters and the story.

I always tell people who jumped on The Matrix bandwagon (love the first film, refuse to admit that the terrible sequels exist), that I liked it better the first time, when it was Dark City, The Terminator and Dune, with just a hint of Johnny Mneumonic!

Who else loves Dark City and/or Blade Runner? I know I can't be alone in this!

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Film Chat