TRON and Discs of TRON Arcade 
 Top 200 Games - EGM

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
DaveTRON
User

Top 200 Games - EGM

on Friday, February, 03, 2006 11:30 AM
The special 200th edition of Electronic Gaming Monthly (Feb. 2006 issue) has a list of the All Time Top 200 video games across all platforms.

TRON Arcade made the list at number 43. No mention of any other TRON games.

By comparison, the top 10 games were:

10. Pong - Arcade - 1972
09. Grand Theft Auto III - PS2 - 2001
08. The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time - N64 - 1998
07. Space Invaders - Arcade - 1978
06. Super Mario 64 - N64 - 1996
05. The Legend of Zelda - NEW - 1987
04. Tetris - Multiplatform - 1988
03. Street Fighter II - Arcade - 1991
02. Pac Man - Arcade - 1980
01. Super Mario Brothers - NES - 1985

So what do you all think of this list?

Other than 8 and 9, I agree with the top 10. I love that so many arcade games got their props over the new games. An excellent overall listing.where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

DaveTRON

Boingo_Buzzard
User

Re: Top 200 Games - EGM

on Friday, February, 03, 2006 12:48 PM

Depends on what they are judging against. Innovation at the time the game was released? The impact of the game on the gaming industry as a whole? Sales?

I don't agree with that list at all, for several reasons, but it also depends on the criteria on which it was constructed. To not have FF7 in the top 10 is unbelievable.

EDIT: 4 out of 10 games in that list are NES console games? This is the list of ALL TIME best games? Hrmm... something seems a bit fishy to me.

DaveTRON
User

on Friday, February, 03, 2006 1:12 PM
I would not personally rank FF7 as a top game, but I can see where it would be by others.

Here are the placings for that series on the list.

133. Final Fantasy X - PS2 - 2001
036. Final Fantasy III - Super NES - 1994
029. Final Fantasy II - Super NES - 1991
027. Final Fantasy VII - PlayStation - 1997

After reviewing the list, I would say you are right. Nintendo is heavily represented on that list. Genesis games are in short supply, as are most of the other platforms. Perhaps not the greatest 200 after all, unless you work for Nintendo.

DaveTRON

Boingo_Buzzard
User

on Friday, February, 03, 2006 1:19 PM
DaveTRON Wrote:I would not personally rank FF7 as a top game

Wha??! B..b..bbllbll.... *splutter* *spit!!!!!* *foam*

where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

DaveTRON
User

on Friday, February, 03, 2006 2:16 PM
Boingo_Buzzard Wrote:
DaveTRON Wrote:I would not personally rank FF7 as a top game

Wha??! B..b..bbllbll.... *splutter* *spit!!!!!* *foam*

I just didn't like it. Sorry.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

DaveTRON

Flynns
User

on Friday, February, 03, 2006 3:36 PM
Interesting list... If popularity is based on how much the video game has impacted the culture ((be it gaming culture or otherwise)) weighing in "fun factor" as another measurement , then the order should be different in my opinion.

10. Pong - Father of video games. Albeit not in every household, it started video game entertainment just about. If it's based on innovation, then it should be more near #1.

Super Mario Bro #1? It was indeed very popular and the NES paved way to the 16bit to come and eventually the explosion of home entertainment with the newst consoles. So if it's innovation of the industry is the weighting factor, #1 I don't agree but close.

PacMan should be #1 due to it's innovation, sheer logevity, how much $$ it brought it, and how much it appealed to cross genders.

Other considerations I don't see here at Karate Champ which, I believe, paved it's way to fighting games like Street Fighter II.

Zelda I agree with because it facilitated RPG gaming BUT Ultima is not mentioned which, I think, played a GIANT role in gaming indsutry especially with today's MMORPG's.

Tetris I agree with: Look at the limitless puzzle games that spawned as a result.

I don't like seeing the new N64 Super mario and Legend of Zeldas. It makes me think EGM might be brown nosign Nintendo. Who am I to judge but I don't remember these N64 titles being original innovators that touched gamers globally.

GTA? Fun game but based on concepts of different genres. I think something else could have fit there...

Like Galaga

Fred
where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

DaveTRON
User

on Friday, February, 03, 2006 4:03 PM
Karate Champ - Arcade - 1984 placed 105 on the list.

Ultima is not represented anywhere on the list.

PC games are not represented at all on this list unless they accidentally fall into the 'Multiplatform' designation.

I'd like to see this list with all gaming genres included.

DaveTRON

Boingo_Buzzard
User

on Friday, February, 03, 2006 5:01 PM
DaveTRON Wrote:PC games are not represented at all on this list unless they accidentally fall into the 'Multiplatform' designation.

So "Doom" didn't make the list at all?

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Friday, February, 03, 2006 5:06 PM

I hate these "best games of all time" lists. They should NOT lump the games from various formats together. They're just being lazy. Top lists should be done for each format, so that the best games from each get representation.

There should be a "top 100" Arcade list, PC list, 2600 list, Intellivision list, Colecovision list, NES list, Genesis list, SNES list, N64 list, Dreamcast list, PS1 list, PS2 list, Gamecube list, Xbox list, etc.

But that would mean a lot more work, so that's why they don't do it that way.

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

Boingo_Buzzard
User

on Friday, February, 03, 2006 5:14 PM
redrain85 Wrote:
There should be a "top 100" Arcade list, PC list, 2600 list, Intellivision list, Colecovision list, NES list, Genesis list, SNES list, N64 list, Dreamcast list, PS1 list, PS2 list, Gamecube list, Xbox list, etc.

Yeah... the other problem with lists is they're like opinions.....everyone with one smells.

Qix77
User

on Friday, February, 03, 2006 6:20 PM
I guess I'll do my current top 20 countdown... I say current because it's always changing..

20. Journeyman Project (PC)
19. Relentless a.k.a. Little Big Adventure (PC)
18. Bionic Commando (Nes)
17. Yar's Revenge (Atari 2600)
16. Ultima III (Commodore 64)
15. Archon (Commodore 64)
14. Hybris which ties with Battle Squadren (both for Amiga)
13. Gyruss (Arcade)
12. GTA: Vice City (PC)
13. King of Fighters 98 (Arcade/Neo-Geo)
12. Another World (Amiga)
11. GTA: SanAndreas (PC)
10. Unreal (PC)
9. Tetris (Commodore 64)
8. Tron (Arcade)
7. Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade)
6. Ghouls'n'Ghosts (Arcade/Sega Genesis)
5. Revenge of Shinobi (Sega Genesis)
4. Half-Life 2 (PC)
3. Tron 2.0 (PC)
2. Dragon's Lair (Arcade)
1. Unreal Tournament 2004 (PC)

This is just a rough top 20... If I gave it more time, the list would most likely be different than what it is... But I know that my top 5 stands on it's own two feet... or on it's own... uhh... or... whatever... You get the idea... order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Friday, February, 03, 2006 6:44 PM

How about a Top 5?

5. Jedi Knight (PC)
4. Half-Life (PC)
3. Tron 2.0 (PC)
2. Deus Ex (PC)
1. System Shock 2 (PC)

The top three are literally neck-and-neck for me. Hell, they're all great, and it was really tough to rank one above another.

order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

Qix77
User

on Friday, February, 03, 2006 8:22 PM
redrain85 Wrote:

1. System Shock 2 (PC)

I forgot about System Shock 2 and the Theif games. A really good call.

What I love so much about SS2 is the A.I. virus. She is sort of Tronish. I always figured that if they make an OS that had A.I. tech and a polygon character you can look at and interact with, I would love to put her as my A.I. .... voice and all...

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Friday, February, 03, 2006 8:38 PM

Duke Nukem 3D almost made it into the Top 5 for me. That was a really fun game as well.

Qix77 Wrote:I forgot about System Shock 2 and the Theif games. A really good call.

What I love so much about SS2 is the A.I. virus. She is sort of Tronish. I always figured that if they make an OS that had A.I. tech and a polygon character you can look at and interact with, I would love to put her as my A.I. .... voice and all...
I still need to check out the Thief games. People are praising them to the sky and they were also made by Looking Glass like SS2 was, so I know they must be good.

I've been very tempted to make a Tron 2.0 mission with elements of SS2 in it. Sort of a blending of the two. I'd like to make a "scary" Tron mission, if you can imagine that. LOL. But it would be a lot of work. Maybe later this year I'll try it.

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Friday, February, 03, 2006 9:29 PM
10. Pong - Arcade - 1972

Pong was great. Such a simple game, and so exciting to be able to play an interactive video game. It cemented video games in to pop culture and made people long for more. As far as number 10 among the all time best? Yeah - I guess it deserves to be in the list.

09. Grand Theft Auto III - PS2 - 2001

I've never played this game. Been curious about it because of all the negative press, which I think is stupid. I mean, it's a game - a fictional, interactive, NOT REAL experience. The press and politicians need to chill. But I've never really cared for games like this. Though I'm sure it's packed full of video goodness, it just does not interest me at all. I don't fully get why games like this are so popular, but whatever. Different strokes.

08. The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time - N64 - 1998

Hands down - this is the most amazing gaming experience I've ever had, period. Never before have I been so drawn in to the experience of a game. And never again, has any other game even come close to the amazing experience that this game was to me. It was truly like a fantastic journey I got to take in a fictional world of wonder. I keep wondering if I'll ever feel this captivated by a gaming experience again. Every couple of years, I find myself playing through it again. This is absolute number 1 in my book.

07. Space Invaders - Arcade - 1978

Space Invaders ROCKED! I poured many quarters in to this gem back in the day. It was really the first ever arcade video game I got to play. The experience was amazement and wonder at this computer generated game. That's how I looked at it back then - it was just so cool. I was very intrigued by the technology that made this possible and loved playing it a lot. Mostly played the two-player table-top version at the local roller-skating rink. Ahh - the good old days. Yep - definitely a good spot on the listing.

06. Super Mario 64 - N64 - 1996

I never had this for my N64. Only a few years ago, did I first play it on an emulator. The emulator did a decent job with it, but I couldn't really get in to it much. Mostly because of the quirky controls of playing it on a keyboard. I would have loved to experience this on my N64 - perhaps some day I'll buy it and hit it the right way.

05. The Legend of Zelda - NEW - 1987

I tried to get in to this game. I tried many times. It just never captivated me. Everyone seemed to love this game so much, talking about it like the holy grail of all games. What was wrong with me? Perhaps I just couldn't dig an adventure game like this that was so graphically... well, flat and uninteresting to me. I know - this game is not about the graphics. But whatever it was, this game failed to interest me. And this is probably the only game I ever really tried to force myself to get in to. But I could not. I'm glad it existed though - it lead to my favorite game of all time as mentioned above.

04. Tetris - Multiplatform - 1988

This is a fun and somewhat addicting game. But I can't see it in the top 10. As addicting as it is, it also becomes old and boring just as quick... or at least did to me. I can't play more than 3 or 4 games back to back before I'm just tired of it and don't want to touch it again for months.

03. Street Fighter II - Arcade - 1991

This was probably one of the most addicting fighting games I've ever played to this date! I played it on my SNES mostly, only playing it in the arcade a couple of times. But the SNES version was pretty dead-on in terms of game play... or so I thought. I loved it and played it in to the wee hours of the morning many times in my early 20'abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

DaveTRON
User

on Friday, February, 03, 2006 9:43 PM
I am looking for the entire 200 in text form, so I don't have to type it myself.

If I find it I will post it for everyone to rip apart.

DaveTRON

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Friday, February, 03, 2006 10:15 PM
DaveTRON Wrote:I am looking for the entire 200 in text form, so I don't have to type it myself.

If I find it I will post it for everyone to rip apart.

If it exists in graphic form only, perhaps try OCRing it?

Of course, you'd need to probably enlarge it (to a 300dpi equivalent) and convert it to a 1-bit B&W format first, but it might work.

Just a thought.
on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

Qix77
User

on Friday, February, 03, 2006 11:37 PM
redrain85 Wrote:

Duke Nukem 3D almost made it into the Top 5 for me. That was a really fun game as well.

Qix77 Wrote:I forgot about System Shock 2 and the Theif games. A really good call.

I still need to check out the Thief games. People are praising them to the sky and they were also made by Looking Glass like SS2 was, so I know they must be good.

I've been very tempted to make a Tron 2.0 mission with elements of SS2 in it. Sort of a blending of the two. I'd like to make a "scary" Tron mission, if you can imagine that. LOL. But it would be a lot of work. Maybe later this year I'll try it.

You've got to play Thief... But... I suggest you skip Thief II because it's a little off from what the whole exp. is all about. Well... that's how I see it...

The last thief game was Deadly Shadows... I believe it was the best... a real good upgrade from the old games... the way it should be...

Traahn
User

on Saturday, February, 04, 2006 12:07 AM
*Boooooo* *Hissss* I don't like this list. And GTA in the Top 10? I hate GTA. It's so boring. I don't get the fascination with it...

I can see the Pong, Space Invaders and PacMan 'classics' being in there, but nothing else. I'm sorry to burst your Zelda bubble, TheReelTodd, but that game annoyed the heck out of me. I wasn't at all impressed by it. Not graphics-wise; not gameplay-wise; not story-wise. I was severely let down as it was my first and only experience with Zelda. I had some high expectations of it as I read previews of it for the year or two prior to its release; and got the gold cartridge on the first day it came out. But that's awesome you were so moved by it. Hold on to those Zelda memories! I'm sure there are plenty of games that I liked that you'd absolutely despise, too. So we're even abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, February, 07, 2006 7:03 PM
Traahn Wrote:I'm sorry to burst your Zelda bubble, TheReelTodd, but that game annoyed the heck out of me. I wasn't at all impressed by it. Not graphics-wise; not gameplay-wise; not story-wise. I was severely let down as it was my first and only experience with Zelda.

Traahn Wrote:I had some high expectations of it as I read previews of it for the year or two prior to its release; and got the gold cartridge on the first day it came out.

Oh man - talk about different strokes.

Funny thing is I never had any interest in Zelda games before. I tried to get in to them, but I never could. And then this game seemed to be getting a lot of buzz on the internet. I read about it as it was in the later months of development. It looked and sounded (from the write-ups) very cool. I remember wanting it very bad, and being worried that I wouldn't get it, never having gotten far in a Zelda game before (like never getting past a half hour of play without getting bored out of my mind and not touching it again).

Again, I was completely blown away by this game... I hate the term "game" for games like this. For me, it was more like an artificial adventure experience, or something like that. These things really are not games (games of this genre) - games are like Pac Man and Tetris and Galaga.

There is a new Zelda game on the way. I'm hoping it will be another great experience for me, but oddly enough, I'm actually expecting a let down. Not sure why.

Traahn Wrote:But that's awesome you were so moved by it. Hold on to those Zelda memories! I'm sure there are plenty of games that I liked that you'd absolutely despise, too. So we're even

Oh well. Like I said - different strokes.

One man's pure-gold adventure experience is another mans heap of crap, right?

So long as you never bad-mouth TRON - you'd good in my book!

Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON and Discs of TRON Arcade 
 Top 200 Games - EGM