General Discussion 
 Announcing the development of "Tron: Anti-Virus"

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
Tron Fanatic
User

on Tuesday, August, 22, 2006 1:53 PM
Ok, I just couldn't wait any longer to say anything. It is my pleasure to announce what is most certainly my largest creative undertaking to date.

Click for 1024x768 wallpaper
Features:

Modern graphics, sound, animation, and gameplay utilizing ID Software's Doom 3 engine

A rich storyline with character development, cinematic cutscenes, and vocals, that picks up where the film left off. Inspired by the pseudo-religious elements of the film, Anti-Virus probes deeper into the spiritual and ethical themes of the Tron universe.

Traditional FPS/arcade-shooter-style combat pits you against whole swarms of enemies

Play as the legendary Tron in the classic ENCOM system

General Story Overview: Tron: Anti-Virus picks up where the first film left off. Although the reign of the MCP is over, problems still persist in the ENCOM system. Ever since he defeated the MCP, Tron has been having terrifying derrifying dreams and visions that have become increasingly worse, a fanatical rogue group of programs blindly loyal to the MCP remain at large, and bizarre creatures the likes of which have never been seen before have emerged.

This is just the announcement of the game's development, meaning that extremely little has been done so far except for the story and some preliminary testing of various game engines to determine which was best-suited for a Tron mod. I will start developing an FAQ soon, and also open the "job" market for any game developers on the grid who might be interested in becoming part of the T:AV team.

Though these aren't from the final game, these screenshots are from my initial design tests of Doom 3 for environments with a Tron-esque feel.

order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

'>

Hikaru.EXE
User

Re: Announcing the development of "Tron: Anti-Virus"

on Tuesday, August, 22, 2006 1:58 PM
Good work!!!! It looks really good!!! When do you think you'll release the mod?

Boingo_Buzzard
User

on Tuesday, August, 22, 2006 1:59 PM

Looks pretty sweet. Awesome job!!

abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Dakota Bob
User

on Tuesday, August, 22, 2006 2:16 PM
Now I've got a reason to re-install DOOM3!

NoExcuses
User

Re: Announcing the development of "Tron: Anti-Viru

on Tuesday, August, 22, 2006 3:48 PM
That's totally awesome! Wasn't there a 3D java version of that bottom screenshot somewhere on the site, too?

Anyway, I can't wait to see more!

Capt_Capacitor
User

on Tuesday, August, 22, 2006 6:23 PM
Looks good so far

Any Ideas for weapons or driving sequences(Tank, Lightcycle, Recognizer) yet?

All that is visible must grow beyond itself, and extend into the realm of the invisible
"and it glows like...TROOOOOON!!!!" - Tommy Talirico
"Nice, now you can have hours of fun playing with your thick glowing rod " - Me

Jademz
User

on Tuesday, August, 22, 2006 7:22 PM
Cool!

Traahn
User

on Tuesday, August, 22, 2006 10:33 PM
Cool! Someone was asking which game engine to use for a Tron fan video of some sort. Looks like Doom 3 would work well Good luck!abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

PrinceAuron
User

on Wednesday, August, 23, 2006 11:00 AM
This is going to be amazing!

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Wednesday, August, 23, 2006 11:47 AM

Chris, I didn't see this thread before we met last night. So I was always wondering exactly what the project was that you guys were talking about, and what it would be like.

Very cool! The Doom 3 engine seems to be very popular for modding. It's no surprise, I guess. The guys at id software have always been very community and mod friendly. If only a certain other company would see the light . . .

Good luck with this project. Maybe I could help you in some way. Though I'm not sure how. I'm not an artist, which is what I think you need the most. But I could try my hand at making maps anyway.

abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

Tron Fanatic
User

on Wednesday, August, 23, 2006 2:17 PM
Traahn Wrote:Cool! Someone was asking which game engine to use for a Tron fan video of some sort. Looks like Doom 3 would work well Good luck!

I didn't see that thread, unless you're talking about mine where I mentioned looking for the best game mod for the job of making this.

Hikaru.EXE Wrote:Good work!!!! It looks really good!!! When do you think you'll release the mod?

We're probably looking at a late 2007 release at best. It all depends on how quickly we gat things done and who ends up working for me. A lot of it is dependant upon the team members (the team hasn't been formed yet) and how fast they can churn things out, how much free time they have, etc.)

NoExcuses Wrote:That's totally awesome! Wasn't there a 3D java version of that bottom screenshot somewhere on the site, too?

Yes, for the backdrop. Doom 3 uses the same image layout as the java applet for environments, and I was using the java app to make sure it was working properly, so I just decided to post it. It's not the same screenshot though, if you notice (it's kinda hard to see because it's all so bright), there's a walkable grid floor in the screenshot.

Capt_Capacitor Wrote:Looks good so far

Any Ideas for weapons or driving sequences(Tank, Lightcycle, Recognizer) yet?

Vehicles as far as I know are a very tricky thing in Doom 3. It would be awesome if I can get them into the game, but due to the mechanics it's one of the things I can't answer right now. Natively, Doom 3 support for vehicles is quite limited. The only way any moving device even gets controlled in the game currently is by pointing and clicking a kiosk screen using the mouse, so as you can imagine, this makes vehicular combat very difficult. From what I can tell, to make a driveable vehicle the way we would want it, would probably require more custom code written than all the other scripting in the mod put together.

That said, there may be a mod out there already that I can piggy-back off of, or if I get the right programmer, we can do it.

However, I definately want a tank sequence, and possibly a reco. Lightcycles will not be in the game though, except perhaps seen during cutscenes. I feel that Tron 2.0 has given us the best lightcycle experience we're ever likely to get, and they really don't serve a practical purpose in the storyline of the mod.

redrain85 Wrote:

Good luck with this project. Maybe I could help you in some way. Though I'm not sure how. I'm not an artist, which is what I think you need the most. But I could try my hand at making maps anyway.

If you can build maps, I can certainly use the help. There's a time where I definately could have done all the work for this myself, but games were a lot simpler then. I'm going to need my tendrils in a dozen places as it is to make this work, so any additional help would be great.

---------------------

Keep questions coming folks, whoever has any. I'm in the process of writing the FAQ for this.where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

'>

Prankster bit
User

on Wednesday, August, 23, 2006 2:46 PM

oh...my...god

and i was thinking to myself only yesterday that tron 2.0 should've been in the doom 3 engine.

tron finally gets what it deserves

A thought on vehicles: i have no knowledge of how the doom 3 engine works, but quake 4 had sections with drivable vehicles, so maybe you should head for that existing code?

also, although i lack all the necessary skills for creating this mod, i would like to help out. i've always wanted to try out voice acting. maybe when the time comes you would consider me for a character?

where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

words of wisdom from...

PranKsTeR BiT V2.0

Tori
User

on Wednesday, August, 23, 2006 3:03 PM
Cool...the only way I think I'd ever play Doom is if it had on it.

Well...uh...they count American McGee's Alice as a Doom Mod, but I don't...'cause it's more fun...and has a STORY!

==

Tron Fanatic
User

on Wednesday, August, 23, 2006 3:43 PM
Prankster bit Wrote:
A thought on vehicles: i have no knowledge of how the doom 3 engine works, but quake 4 had sections with drivable vehicles, so maybe you should head for that existing code?

also, although i lack all the necessary skills for creating this mod, i would like to help out. i've always wanted to try out voice acting. maybe when the time comes you would consider me for a character?

Is Quake 4 running on Doom 3? If so then I'd think it could be done.

And I think voice acting could be arranged

Tori Wrote:Cool...the only way I think I'd ever play Doom is if it had on it.

Well...uh...they count American McGee's Alice as a Doom Mod, but I don't...'cause it's more fun...and has a STORY!

Actually, I'd recommend Doom 3 if you're unhappy with FPS stories. Doom 3 is pretty good, at least a lot more interesting than its predecessors. Or if that's not good enough, try Prey. Playing Prey and then finally getting around to playing Doom 3 is what inspired me to pull this project back out from the mental broom-closet and start making it.

'>

NoExcuses
User

on Wednesday, August, 23, 2006 3:47 PM
Tron Fanatic Wrote:And I think voice acting could be arranged
Will there be any 14 year-old British programs that will need voicing?

Once again, this project looks absolutely excellent!abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Wednesday, August, 23, 2006 5:53 PM
Wow - those test images look really cool!

This does indeed sound like quite a big undertaking. I hope you are able to follow though with it. It will take some time, but try to stick with it. I would love to see how it turns out in the end!

EDIT: I just realized that if it is a mod of DOOM 3, I won't be able to play it. Doom 3 will likely not run well on my very old and slow computer, so I never bought it. Not a big Doom fan anyway (enjoyed the 1st, that's all). Regardless, I do hope you complete this project. It sounds really cool and your test images show a lot of promise! Man - I really need to upgrade my computer... not in the budget right now though.

Tron Fanatic
User

on Wednesday, August, 23, 2006 5:59 PM
TheReelTodd Wrote:Wow - those test images look really cool!

EDIT: I just realized that if it is a mod of DOOM 3, I won't be able to play it. Doom 3 will likely not run well on my very old and slow computer, so I never bought it.

What were you playing 2.0 on? Doom 3 runs better on my PC than Tron 2.0....

'>

Boingo_Buzzard
User

on Wednesday, August, 23, 2006 6:04 PM

I have Doom3 for my X-Box and was thinking of starting it today. Don't have it for my PC though. Doh.

where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Wednesday, August, 23, 2006 6:13 PM
Tron Fanatic Wrote:What were you playing 2.0 on? Doom 3 runs better on my PC than Tron 2.0....

My computer is a 5-year-old generic mix of parts.

1.3GHz processor
NVidia GeForce 2 with 32MB or RAM
512MB of DDR PC1600 RAM (the slow, crappy stuff)
FSB 100MHZ (DDR of 200MHZ, but doesn't act like it to me)

TRON 2.0 played ok at 800x600 with all glow effects on and turning off video sync. I'd say it played at a frame rate of about 20 to 30 frames per second with those settings. Light cycles had to be played with all effects turned off or else I couldn't move fast enough. So the game worked but was sluggish in terms of frame rate and response.

I've heard games like Doom 3 are all about pretty graphics that won't do so well on a slow computer like mine. It seemed to be a mediocre game with great graphics (or so I read from people's comments about it). TRON 2.0 was borderline for me in terms of how well it ran. I would have loved to play it at a better frame rate, but I didn't want to turn off all the pretty effects, so I just settled for a lower frame rate and got used to the sluggish responses (exception light cycles as I said).

I've heard of people playing TRON 2.0 on slower systems than mine, but not with effects on.

Tron Fanatic
User

on Wednesday, August, 23, 2006 6:47 PM
TheReelTodd Wrote:

TRON 2.0 played ok at 800x600 with all glow effects on and turning off video sync. I'd say it played at a frame rate of about 20 to 30 frames per second with those settings. Light cycles had to be played with all effects turned off or else I couldn't move fast enough. So the game worked but was sluggish in terms of frame rate and response.

I've heard games like Doom 3 are all about pretty graphics that won't do so well on a slow computer like mine. It seemed to be a mediocre game with great graphics (or so I read from people's comments about it). TRON 2.0 was borderline for me in terms of how well it ran. I would have loved to play it at a better frame rate, but I didn't want to turn off all the pretty effects, so I just settled for a lower frame rate and got used to the sluggish responses (exception light cycles as I said).

I've heard of people playing TRON 2.0 on slower systems than mine, but not with effects on.

Personally, I think you'd be ok running Doom 3. If your computer (and your degree of personal fussiness) can handle 2.0 with the glow turned on at 800x600 then Doom 3 should be no trouble at all for you. Doom 3 is actually a pretty fun game as well. The story isn't as richly done as something like Silent Hill, but a lot of work was still put into the plot. Characters talk to you, you can watch info-TV monitors, and you can read emails and audio logs. And the game definately ranks high on the genuine 'scary' chart. It must have made me jump 50 times and half the time I was downright paranoid. Everytime I heard a sound I was shining the flashlight all over the place trying to figure out what it was. I'd locate the pipe that was venting steam, my body loosened up with relief, and a moment later, some monster would jump at me from behind.

The graphics are definately disgustingly powerful though in what they can do. Even then though, my mod will probably run better than the basic Doom 3 game because in many cases, ultra-high polygon counts are not needed. In the Tron world, simple is often best in my opinion.

I'd say you plug in the Doom 3 demo and see what happens. You might be surprised. Those who like Doom 3 tend to compare it to Half Life with regard to story-driven content. Indeed, one of the biggest reasons I chose Doom 3 over the other popular game engines is because it natively has all the features I want to drive the story forward.

'>

Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion