Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 If you shut off the power to a computer with a user inside, would the user die?

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
cirlin
User

RE: If you shut off the power to a computer with a user inside, would the user die?

on Thursday, December, 30, 2010 3:43 PM
Tron Unit Wrote:I think you are confusing matter and molecules. The science works in tandem with the laws of physics. Einstein's law says that matter can be converted to energy. The atoms are converted to energy that is suspended in the laser, the atomic "information" is stored into the memory of the computer as a model so that it knows how to reassemble that energy back into physical matter. What is stored in the laser exists as pure energy NOT physical matter because it has been converted at that point into energy by the laser. E=MC2.

I'm not confusing matter and molecules. Molecules are matter. The 'spectrum' of matter goes (in a very basic sense) from quarks, to hadrons (protons and neutrons), to atoms, to molecules, an so on until you get a person, or a desk, or a glass of water.
I mention molecules as the size a digitized person is broken down to because the writers mention carbon in their explanation. I suppose a person could be broken down to smaller pieces, like their atoms perhaps, but they still have to be broken down into something.

If they are converted to 'energy' as you are saying, what kind of energy do you mean? Einstein's equation does mean that matter and energy are two sides of the same coin, but look at how that works out in real life. The closest, most pure, conversion of matter to energy that we can achieve at this point is a nuclear bomb. These are fission devices that basically split atoms, changing them from matter to energy. But the type of energy that results is huge amounts of radiation in the form of kinetic energy (the blast), thermal energy (the heat), and high energy electromagnetic waves (ultraviolet, x-rays, and even gamma-rays).

I'm not sure how one would record all that and be able to get a person out of it again. order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

ChessMess
User

RE: If you shut off the power to a computer with a user inside, would the user die?

on Thursday, December, 30, 2010 3:45 PM
I agree, Tron 2.0 was superb!

I even spoke with Lisberger about it and told him that I wish Tron 2.0 had been a movie instead of a game (this was before Legacy) and he totally agreed.where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

cirlin
User

on Thursday, December, 30, 2010 3:51 PM
ChessMess Wrote:I agree, Tron 2.0 was superb!

I even spoke with Lisberger about it and told him that I wish Tron 2.0 had been a movie instead of a game (this was before Legacy) and he totally agreed.

Hmmm...I could certainly enjoyed Tron 2.0 as a movie...but I don't think I'd want to give up the game. It's too good. where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

ChessMess
User

on Thursday, December, 30, 2010 4:02 PM
Simply put, your a fool to not play Tron 2.0 because of the graphics. But to each his own.

lurkinghorror
User

on Thursday, December, 30, 2010 4:14 PM
The visuals of 2.0 are amazing. The gameplay is fantastic. The story felt a bit empty to me.

But from what I've seen, Legacy has quite a bit in common with 2.0 in terms of structure. It also seems to closely echo the underlying theme of Ghost in the Machine.

That said: If you're going to do a sequel to Tron, there are a limited number of directions one can go in while retaining the flavor of the original and not covering the same ground that has been explored by any number of the many things inspired by the original film.

cirlin
User

on Thursday, December, 30, 2010 4:17 PM
But that is how it is done. That's how the transporter works on Star Trek which is basically the same thing. Grab the Star Trek Technical Manual which gives a more elaborate explanation how matter is converted to energy by an "energized" beam. Scotty was even trapped in the transporters buffers for like 80 years before he was re-materialized on Next Gen.

That may be how it is done in Star Trek, but given the information the writers have given us, it seems that they imagined a very different process. If you want to ignore that, fine, that's up to you. But that's why I mentioned apples and oranges earlier. I'm going by what the writers have stated, if you are imagining a totally different system, then there is no way to reach a consensus.

Anyway, I'm not sure why you feel better using one incredibly implausible explanation (Heisenberg compensators? Really?) versus another (Stored in a laser beam?).where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

typicaltronname
User

on Thursday, December, 30, 2010 4:55 PM
I would love to play tron 2.0, but I can't find a Demo of it anywhere, to see if I would actually like the game.

"Reveal your creation date or I will disassemble your code one operation at a time!"

lurkinghorror
User

on Thursday, December, 30, 2010 4:57 PM
Tron Unit Wrote:
ChessMess Wrote:Simply put, your a fool to not play Tron 2.0 because of the graphics. But to each his own.

Simply put I was a fool to play Evolution. That game is lame. I know you Troniacs will buy anything Tron that is spoon fed to you but Tron 2.0 is not my idea of what Tron is about. Looks pretty juvenile in its design and approach to the material like Clone Wars is to Star Wars. No thanks.

Well... how does it not fit your ideas and expectations of Tron?

For me, while there are aspects to the character designs I'm not fond of, I found the world of Tron itself executed phenomenally. Part of it can't be conveyed in pictures. You have to see the flickering glow of things and hear the sounds of the environment.

Again, I felt the overall story was a bit flat. I'm not above hearing criticisms of the material, and I absolutely do not embrace all material simply for being labeled "Tron". However, I do think there is some substance and enjoyment to 2.0 that you might be overlooking due to the aspects that offend you.

cirlin
User

on Thursday, December, 30, 2010 5:08 PM
Tron Unit Wrote:You mean the explanation the writers completely failed to provide in the film?
You're the one who pointed me to a Star Trek book for an explanation of the Transporters. A book written decades after the transporters showed up in the show.

order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

cirlin
User

on Thursday, December, 30, 2010 5:35 PM
Tron Unit Wrote:Its functionality was explained throughout the original series.
I can't recall any instances of a clear, realistic explanation from the original series. they gave us an episode with Kirk split into his "good" and "evil" sides for crying out loud!

We both know that technology currently does not exist. The writers have to create technobabble or gobblegook as explanation to provide sensible plot logic to serve the purpose of making the practicality of impossibility seem possible.
But that's exactly what Star Trek did. For instance, when people started thinking up plausible explanations for the transporter's operation (around the time of TNG) they realized they had to account for the uncertainty principle. So what did they do? "Oh, they have a Heisenberg compensator". How is a mystical device that somehow manages to work around one of the most fundamental premises of physics not "technobabble".

You can argue that Tron is fantasy and I would agree there is some degree of that in ALL fiction but as a writer you must make the impossible seem somehow plausible otherwise when you just make a program like Quorra who exists as binary code even though that binary code acts as her DNA just manifest into our world as flesh it makes absolutely no sense like pulling a rabbit out of an ethereal hat and saying it's magic. Ta-da! Sorry, I just don't buy that.

But their explanation for the digitizing laser's operation does make Quorra's situation plausible. She has some sort of "biodigital" DNA that, when combined with the stored material, allowed her to be brought to our world. Sure there's a ton of hand-waving in there, but I simply don't understand why it's harder to buy that than the entire concept of a digital universe existing in your home computer.
abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

cirlin
User

on Thursday, December, 30, 2010 6:44 PM
1. Yeah, it was a metaphor, and completely implausible. Why is that Ok in Star Trek but not Tron? And what Spock said might involve the transporter, but it’s not a plausible explanation for how it works.

2. When you wrote about technobabble is came off as saying that Tron was doing this, but Star Trek did not. Were you trying to say that Star Trek did this, but Tron did not provide enough technobabble?

3. The digital DNA was equivalent enough to allow the transfer I suppose. Heck, maybe Flynn wrote a conversion program when he started seeing the potential of the Iso’s, and that was encoded on his disc! The specifics aren’t really that important, but what I really want to know is why this is a sticking point, but the rest of the idea of Tron is not.
Also, I understand that you wanted more explanation for Quorra’s un-digitizing in the movie. I wouldn’t have minded either, but where do you come off call the explanation they did give “B.S”? What makes it B.S.? We’ll probably just have to agree to disagree on this point as I feel the complete opposite about the ending. I thought it was wonderful to watch her experience her first sunrise, get her wish of seeing the things she’d longed for. It left me with a feeling of great potential for where the story could go from there and what adventures they could have. It’s much like the first movie in that way.

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Thursday, December, 30, 2010 8:21 PM

Tron Unit Wrote:
I know you Troniacs will buy anything Tron that is spoon fed to you but Tron 2.0 is not my idea of what Tron is about. Looks pretty juvenile in its design and approach to the material like Clone Wars is to Star Wars. No thanks.

You can't just dismiss a game without having actually played it. At least play the demo and then make up your mind. (Even though the demo is a poor representation of the full game, in my opinion.)

Just like I didn't dismiss Evolution, even though early on I thought it looked pretty bad. I still actually played it, giving it a chance to impress me. (Which it didn't, sadly.)

typicaltronname Wrote:
I would love to play tron 2.0, but I can't find a Demo of it anywhere, to see if I would actually like the game.

http://tronfaq.blogspot.com/2006/02/all-tron-20-files-in-one-place.html

Scroll down past the Essential files. It's the first item after that.

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

typicaltronname
User

on Thursday, December, 30, 2010 8:34 PM
Thanks!

Now, the only problem is if I like it.

can;t find a cheap copy anywhere.

All jacked up prices.

74 bucks on ebay, nothing cheaper.

"Reveal your creation date or I will disassemble your code one operation at a time!"

zordmaker
User

on Thursday, December, 30, 2010 11:07 PM
No, everything just stops. Its an alternate universe, outside ours entirely. It is created by the computer, but is not specifically dependent on the computer for it's existence. Thats why in the TRON world you can have a huge existence represented in a few MB of code on our side of the fence but looks like it would take GB on the other side.

It then starts again from where it left off once you boot it up again. To anyone in the TRON world, they wouldn't even notice it. Programs or Users.

To kill it you would have to format the HDD without backing it up, plus kill the operating system as well (rip out the EEProms and squash them as well). Basically destroy any and all record that the computer ever ran in the first place.

No doubt in a future edition of TRON they will show what this does to the TRON world (the ultimate genocide) and then use it as a plot point.

Plot points abound, like the time someone does a "system restore" back to a few weeks ago, etc etc etc.

You can copy a program or user but in doing so you create two universes - the one he exists in now and the one you just copied him to, and they then both take their own path forward.

Remember the computer itself doesn't contain the TRON world.

ZMorder abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

zordmaker
User

on Thursday, December, 30, 2010 11:18 PM
Wugmanmax Wrote:In the TRON: Betrayal GN, Flynn has a rant about alternative energy sources. It's possible his secret server was running off solar or wind powered generators...

I sure hope not. You would learn to dread those still nights then wouldn't you.

ZM

zordmaker
User

on Thursday, December, 30, 2010 11:28 PM
typicaltronname Wrote:
tomorowlandude Wrote:
Like I mentioned before in another post, Users must be a great deal of Gigabytes, but it's very possible that Users don't take up a lot of space.

As an example, computer won't allow something that's 4 Gigabytes, when all it has is 2 Gigabytes of memory, and If a User is bigger than that, it would reject the User.

Remember.. both user AND program in the tron world are only representations of themselves. The computer in the real world isn't creating things in the tron world for you.

You could tear your hair out with this kind of stuff (well it's fund to do that, isnt it, esp with anything TRON related).

IMO the thing to remember is that the computer itself (whatever computer it is) has very little to do with TRONworld. It's the data and programs being run on that machine that we are watching.

ZM

order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Friday, December, 31, 2010 4:01 PM

typicaltronname Wrote:
Now, the only problem is if I like it.

can;t find a cheap copy anywhere.

All jacked up prices.

74 bucks on ebay, nothing cheaper.

Keep an eye on Amazon.com. Not all the sellers there are trying to gouge people, now that Tron is popular again. Once in a while someone there is selling 2.0 for a reasonable price.

order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

Honda Enoch
User

on Saturday, March, 23, 2013 3:54 PM
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I am new here and have thoughts on these topics.

Ok. as for the power supply thing. Someone said the the building was an ENCOM building and that the power would remain on being auto paid by the company.
1) Who said it was an ENCOM building?
2) If it were, it was shut down and no longer used, so why still pay for power to be supplied to it?
3) Lets say it is ENCOM owned and power supplied to it, In 20 years there has never been a power outage?
4) Lets assume Flynn's computer is on a separate power supply. Generators require fuel. Who is supplying this? Alternate power supplies like solar, wind, require maintenance. Who is doing that?

The movie leads us to believe that the arcade building has been locked and abandoned for 20 years, yet they then want us to believe that for 20 years this old 1980's computer is still been running non stop.

Now for the topic at hand. What happens to a user when a system is turned off?

Well, we all know that not all programs shut down when you turn the computer off. The clock is always running. So maybe users are constant running.

A bigger question is what happens to programs and users if a System Restore is preformed?

My other ride is a Light Cycle.

spacedinosaurblue
User

on Sunday, March, 24, 2013 12:09 AM
The basement server and mini-laser lab was Flynn's baby. I would be shocked if Flynn didn't have multiple redundant power supplies and accounts set up at Encom explicitly for upkeep of the arcade property. Accounts for utilities like that can continue automatically if nobody stops them for decades. It happens in real life.

Also, while this is viewer conjecture or "fridge logic" I've always felt that Tron's universe is definitely an alternate universe - in an overall sense, not just the existence of a fictional company like Encom.

In Tron, Encom already had computer technology in advance of what was truly possible in the early 80s. Flynn, boy genius, took over and they began designing ever more advanced computers. I think it's plausible that in the 7 years between Tron and Flynn being trapped in the Grid, he also advanced computer technology in the real world faster than in real life. By performing research and development inside the Grid, and bringing some of the designs out with him. (This may be hinted at due to engineers like "Ram" working with Flynn in his inner circle, helping with exotic projects and technology.)

There's a reason why in the Tron universe Encom is apparently the most advanced computer company in the world, and far ahead of anyone else.

So, I wouldn't really be surprised if the server Flynn installed in the basement was essentially something a decade more advanced than actually existed in 1985-88, and I bet it was built to hardened, military grade specs. His life literally depended on it!

Java
User

on Sunday, March, 24, 2013 4:35 PM
*chuckles* This topic brings Schrodinger's Cat to mind

The grid isn't self-contained within a single operating system, is it?
I've always been under the impression that a terminal allows users to interact with the digital space.
If shutting down a computer actually kills a user, then why doesn't it shut down the entire system along with the user?where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

END OF LINE.

FirstPrevious Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 If you shut off the power to a computer with a user inside, would the user die?