Fan Fiction & Art 
 "Afterward"

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Kat
User

"Afterward"

on Friday, December, 02, 2011 10:31 PM

The first thing Sam knew was falling off the chair.  From the floor, he sat up and looked around.  The arcade office… but was he back?  Or was he still in the Grid version?  No, he was back.  He could tell by the quality of the light.  He never thought he’d be so happy to see yellowish incandescent light pouring through the window, but he was.  He also noticed why he had fallen off the chair—Quorra was sitting on the floor on the other side of it, looking far more confused than he was.  They’d probably both appeared in the chair at the same time, and of course they didn’t fit. So she did make it through, he thought.  He hadn’t been sure she might—he had no idea if programs, even Isos, could be digitized back to the outside world-- but he was glad she’d gotten here safely.  He stood slowly, brushing dust off the seat of his jeans—he was relieved to find he’d gotten his clothes back—and offered a hand to Quorra.  She was dressed in all black—it was a bit similar to Grid clothing, but more fitting to the world out here (and he was also relieved to see that she, too, had appeared in clothing somehow).  She took his hand and got to her feet as well.

“Where are we?”  Sam smiled.

“Welcome to my world.”  Her eyes went wide.  “This is my dad’s arcade.”

“He told me about this place!” she said.  She touched the desk in wonder.  “So this is what the system looks like from the outside.”  Sam had sunk into the desk chair.  Quorra turned and saw him staring straight ahead at the wall.

“Sam?”  His tone was nearly dead when he said,

“I can’t believe he’s gone.  Just when I found him again.”  He wasn’t looking at her, so he didn’t see her expression change as she gazed past him.  He went on, his voice heavy with grief.  “I almost can’t wrap my head around everything that just happened, but all I can think about is that I found him, and I lost him again.”

“Uh, Sam?”  He nearly kept speaking, wanted to acknowledge that she must be feeling the loss too, but something in her voice made him look up.  He saw her staring, and turned to see what she was looking at.  And for the second time that night… his whole world changed.

“Hey, kiddo.”  Kevin Flynn’s voice was husky from twenty years of disuse as he spoke from the shadows at the back of the room.  For a moment, Sam couldn’t move.

“Dad?” he said uncertainly, taking a step forward.  Flynn just nodded.  Sam covered the distance between them in three giant steps as he flew into his father’s arms.

“But… you’re dead.  I… saw you…”  Tears stung his eyes.  Flynn shook his head.

“Guess not, man.  I arrived about thirty seconds before you did.  Remember, I told you, the first time… at Encom… how I got back out?”

“Yeah.”  

“Maybe… that’s the way it works.  Maybe users can’t die on the Grid.  Or maybe it’s the nature of what happened—I jumped into the MCP, and then Tron destroyed it and it ceased to exist.  When I re-integrated with Clu, I guess he ceased to exist, too.  So maybe it has to do with getting kicked out of the system by an error.  I don’t know.”  He shook his head in slight disgust.  “If I’d known that, I would’ve done it a long time ago.”  Sam looked around warily.

“So… Clu.  Is… is he here too?”

“No.  He’s part of me again now, where he belongs.  I know, now, that creating programs the regular way is just fine.  You should never send a part of yourself out there--” he paused, then smiled and put a hand on Sam’s shoulder.  “—unless they’re your own flesh and blood.”  He stepped forward and hugged Quorra.  “Q.  You made it.  I’m so glad.  I wasn’t entirely sure… well, I never tried bringing a program out before.  I wasn’t sure if Clu’s plan would have worked.  But I couldn’t let him try.”

“So what do we do now?”

“Alan.  You told me he’s still around, yes?  I think it’s time we told him about all of this.  I should have brought him in from the beginning. I don’t know what I was thinking… Yes, I do,” he corrected.  “I was egotistical and wanted to do it all myself.  And I wanted it to be perfect before I told him about it.  I was on the verge of telling him… but I never got the chance.”  He saw Sam’s raised eyebrow and explained.  “One thing I learned in there—I had a lot of time to think, as you can imagine—is that you should always examine your actions, find your motives, and own up to them.  It’s the only way you can grow, man.”  He looked at the computer tower.

“I wonder what kind of damage was done during the reintegration,” he said.  “Let’s pull everything off the server and shut it down and we’ll have a look later.  I hope I can at least salvage Tron.  Sam, do you have a disk of any sort?  A three-and-a-half maybe, not a five-inch true floppy.  Compact disc would be even better though, if you can get ahold of one.”  Sam laughed.

“I can do better than that, Dad.  Welcome to 2011.”  From his pocket he pulled a little memory disc that fit into his phone.

“What’s that?”

“Nobody uses floppy disks any more, Dad.”  Flynn stared at the tiny memory device.

“Radical, man.  I have a lot of catching up to do, I see.”  Sam grinned as he pulled out his phone and slid the card into the slot.

“Let’s see if we can figure out a way to hook this up to the system,” he said.

“Now what’s that?”

“Smartphone.  Oh, I’m going to love introducing you to all of this new technology.  Wait until you see what this thing can do.  I think one of the first smartphones to come out was the iPhone, which Apple—“ Flynn cut him off.

“Apple’s still around, eh?  Is it still Steve?”  Sam nodded.  “Ha, ha.  I always liked him.  Good for him.  Making innovations, are they?  I knew that guy would go far.  Bright dude, man.  They’ve outpaced that Microsoft twerp, then?”

“No, not exactly.  But they’re growing by leaps and bounds.  It’s not the same company Steve Jobs started in his garage, that’s for sure.”

Finally they figured something out.  It took several minutes for all of the data from the server—however fragmented it might be—to load to Sam’s memory card.  As he pulled it out of the phone and slipped the chain over his head, he thought about everything that was now on this tiny chip of metal, silicon, and plastic around his neck.  A new world he wanted to explore further with his father.  A childhood hero and epic warrior who had shown incredible strength and then given everything to save his friends.  Nothing in Sam’s life would ever be the same again now.  Sam headed toward the door of the office where his father and Quorra waited.

Flynn’s voice broke into his thoughts as they climbed the stairs.

“Call Alan, Sam.  Get him over here.”

“Dad, it’s—” Sam checked his phone—“Five a.m.”

“Call him anyway.  Tell him he’ll think it’s worth it.”

“He’ll think so when I tell him about you.”

“Nah, don’t tell him that yet.  Let’s surprise him when he gets here.  He’ll think you’re nuts if you tell him before.”  

“Even better.  I'll page him.”  Sam did.  “He’ll be here.”

“How do you know?”

“Come on, you know Alan.  He won’t be able to stand the suspense.  He’ll be here.”  Flynn laughed.

“Right on, man.”  Sam turned to Quorra.

“Quorra, will you wait outside by my bike?  I don’t want to have to explain you just quite yet, until he has the rest of the story.”

“Sure.  Where…?”

“I’ll show you.”  They all went up the stairs together.  Quorra looked around the arcade—Sam and Flynn promised her a tour later—and then peered up at the sky outside.

“It looks a lot like the Grid,” she said.  “I thought you said there was a sun.”

“Just wait, Q.  There is.  It’s nighttime right now.”  She sighed impatiently.  Flynn’s eyes lit up suddenly.

“Sam!  This yours, man?”  He walked over to the Ducati.

“Yeah.”  Sam just stood back, smiling, while Flynn looked the bike over.

“Sweet!  When you gonna let the old man take her for a spin?  Since, you know, you busted mine and all.”

“I did not bust yours!” Sam cried indignantly.  “I told you—”  He cut off as he realized Flynn was joking, and then his smile was as broad as Flynn’s.

“Any time you want, Dad.  Any time you want.  Come on, though.  I’ll let you look her over real well in proper light later, but let’s go back in if we’re going to meet Alan.”

“Quorra’s going to get to sit on that nice shiny machine before I will,” Flynn grumbled good-naturedly as the two Flynns walked back into the arcade.

“Lotta dust in here,” Flynn mused.

“Well, it’s been closed up for a long time, Dad.”

“What, nobody likes arcades anymore?”

“They’re archaic, Dad.  These days everybody plays games on their own computers through the internet.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

“I do have a lot to catch up on.”

“Like you don’t even know… with the company too.  Dad… well, I don’t know where to start.  We’d better wait for Alan.  Look, let’s really surprise him.  Stay back here.  Once he gets here, I’m going to take Quorra out and show her her sunrise.  You and Alan can catch up while we’re gone, and then when we get back, we can get down to business.  I imagine we’ll need to call a press conference at Encom, but I’m not sure you should make an appearance until we have more time to figure out what we’re going to do and how we’re going to explain this.”  Flynn nodded.  They heard footsteps enter the open arcade door.

“Sam?”

“Haha, he sounds just the same,” Flynn whispered.

“Dad, shhh.”  Sam walked around the side of the bank of games.

“Alan.”

You paged me?”

“Yeah. I need you at Encom at eight a.m.”  

“What about the Board?”  Sam smiled.

“You’re chairman now.  I'm taking the company back, Alan.”  He started to walk out the door, but turned back.  “Oh, and you were right.”

“About what?”

“About everything.”  Sam smiled again as he reached to the breaker box and flipped the “Flynn’s” sign on before he walked onto the street.

Alan watched him go.  What had come over Sam?  And why had Sam called him here, only to give him a few cryptic words and leave again?  Who was the black-haired woman outside by Sam’s Ducati?  Alan walked out of the arcade in time to see the woman get onto the bike behind Sam and they drove down the street.  Alan gazed after them with a bemused smile before he walked back into the arcade.  He sighed and shook his head.  Leave it to Sam to ride off into the night with no explanation and leave Alan to lock everything up here.

Alan walked through the door; when he got past the glare of the streetlights pouring in, he stopped short.  A bearded man about his age stood between the rows of games.  Why did Alan’s heart skip a beat?

“Hello Alan,” the stranger said.  Alan knew that voice.  “Long time, man.”

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Kat
User

RE: "Afterward"

on Friday, December, 02, 2011 10:33 PM
Entirely conceptual.  So I don't want to hear any complaining about "but Kosinski said" or "this isn't what happened!"

Frankly?  We don't know.  Based PURELY on what we see in the movie, it could have.  I filled in a lot of possible spaces.  Flynn himself explains in this piece how it may be possible for him to have gotten back out of the Grid rather than dying.  It's no less plausible than his exit in OT.

Most of the dialogue is mine, but some is, of course, from the film and not mine.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

FlynnOne
User

on Friday, December, 02, 2011 10:58 PM
Kat Wrote:Flynn himself explains in this piece how it may be possible for him to have gotten back out of the Grid rather than dying. It's no less plausible than his exit in OT.

That's a great fic, Kat !! You're so right there - it's absolutely no less plausible.

And maaan, Flynn standing there in the arcade speaking to Alan ... that's so what I kept wishing had happened at the end of Legacy - thank you thank you thank you!
Good job!!

order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

On the other side of the screen it all looks so easy.

DV8ER
User

on Friday, December, 02, 2011 11:02 PM
Agreed with FlynnOne 100%!!

Great work Kat, I hope to see more of it!

-D

trekking95
User

on Friday, December, 02, 2011 11:02 PM
Nice to see you back Flynn!!!
And great story Kat!! where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

Thanks to FlynnOne for the signature!

Save Tron 3!

IluthraDanar
User

on Saturday, December, 03, 2011 12:51 AM
Good story, Kat. If wishes were horses.....

Forget it, Mr High and Mighty Master Control. You aren't making me talk.

cool83
User

on Saturday, December, 03, 2011 2:33 AM
Works for me, nice work.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

J
User

on Sunday, December, 04, 2011 1:02 PM
I've noticed "Flynn Lives" is such a common AU that it almost doesn't need explanation. that being said, you actually used a semi-canonical theory as to how it could happen - he was just bumped from the system and thrown out like the first time he got in.

And then turning it around to give Alan the happiest surprise he's had in decades. I like that you ended it there, giving the reader their own chance to picture what happens next. (The usual architects behind these kind of scenarios are the slash writers.)

It's an entire universe in there, one we created, but it's beyond us now. Really. It's outgrown us. You know, every time you shut off your computer...do you know what you're doing? Have you ever reformatted a hard drive? Deleted old software? Destroyed an entire universe?"

-- Jet Bradley, Tron: Ghost in the Machine on why being a User isn't necessarily a good thing.

Kat
User

on Sunday, December, 04, 2011 9:30 PM
Thanks, everybody. I'm not that familiar with the whole "Flynn Lives" thing so I have no idea how they'd do it. Hrm. I like thinking outside the box with these sometimes. And there's certainly enough that they DON'T show us for it to be possible that it happened this way. (Maybe somebody at Disney is sitting there saying, "DAMMIT. Some chick at Tron-Sector already wrote about our idea." Ha.) It would drive me nuts if they came up with some totally-arbitrary way for Flynn to come back, but I think this makes sense. Though as he points out, if that's the case, then it really does suck he didn't try it a lot sooner, and is why I think it wouldn't actually fly in a future film.

Frankly, I think this explains the end a bit better, as well. Like why Sam calls Alan over to the arcade, only to speak about two sentences and ride off into the sunrise with some mystery chick. Makes more sense if it's because Alan's going to get an explanation in 5...4...3...2...1....

No slash intended, no. Just a big surprise for an old best friend who has carried a (totally platonic) torch for a couple decades...

One thing I struggled with is that I imagine if Flynn DID get back, it would be AFTER Sam and Quorra-- since I figure they probably went through the portal seconds before the explosion, and considering the time difference between worlds, Flynn probably would've showed up at almost exactly the same time, just a split second before... but that would've ruined the whole exposition at the beginning, so I let him come through first and just hoped nobody would mind.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

CLU 3.0
User

on Monday, December, 05, 2011 1:02 AM
You did great Kat. Nice piece. order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

Artwork by FlynnOne... A Big Thanks Buddy!

Daft Tron
User

on Monday, December, 05, 2011 6:27 AM
Kat Wrote:Thanks, everybody. I'm not that familiar with the whole "Flynn Lives" thing so I have no idea how they'd do it. Hrm. I like thinking outside the box with these sometimes. And there's certainly enough that they DON'T show us for it to be possible that it happened this way. (Maybe somebody at Disney is sitting there saying, "DAMMIT. Some chick at Tron-Sector already wrote about our idea." Ha.) It would drive me nuts if they came up with some totally-arbitrary way for Flynn to come back, but I think this makes sense. Though as he points out, if that's the case, then it really does suck he didn't try it a lot sooner, and is why I think it wouldn't actually fly in a future film.

Frankly, I think this explains the end a bit better, as well. Like why Sam calls Alan over to the arcade, only to speak about two sentences and ride off into the sunrise with some mystery chick. Makes more sense if it's because Alan's going to get an explanation in 5...4...3...2...1....

No slash intended, no. Just a big surprise for an old best friend who has carried a (totally platonic) torch for a couple decades...

One thing I struggled with is that I imagine if Flynn DID get back, it would be AFTER Sam and Quorra-- since I figure they probably went through the portal seconds before the explosion, and considering the time difference between worlds, Flynn probably would've showed up at almost exactly the same time, just a split second before... but that would've ruined the whole exposition at the beginning, so I let him come through first and just hoped nobody would mind.

I approve. Good read especially since I was done with all my work during graveyard.

Discs-Of-Tron_
User

on Tuesday, December, 13, 2011 3:25 AM
dig it! if i were to add anything, it would be them or just Sam finding the System Monitor CD or having a prompt to install from which ever drive the disc is in. as far as we know, its still in the drive from when Flynn last went back in. that'd be a neat animation or comic story, and or integrating Anon into the next movie. should make a thread and elaborate on the idea.

Pilgrim1099
User

on Thursday, February, 21, 2013 8:03 PM
Kat Wrote:Entirely conceptual. So I don't want to hear any complaining about "but Kosinski said" or "this isn't what happened!"

Frankly? We don't know. Based PURELY on what we see in the movie, it could have. I filled in a lot of possible spaces. Flynn himself explains in this piece how it may be possible for him to have gotten back out of the Grid rather than dying. It's no less plausible than his exit in OT.

Most of the dialogue is mine, but some is, of course, from the film and not mine.

That was great! Almost sounds like a cool alternate ending.

..................but mine's better .

DawnStar
User

on Wednesday, February, 27, 2013 1:19 AM
Wow! It's really cool, Kat!abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

If you want to change the world, you must first change yourself.

If you're against bullying in all its forms, including cyber-bullying, copy and paste this into your profile or signature!

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Fan Fiction & Art 
 "Afterward"