TRON: UPRISING - The Series Comes To An End

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 6 PagesNextLast
LORD_Z3DD
User

RE: TRON: UPRISING - The Series Comes To An End

on Wednesday, January, 30, 2013 2:32 PM
Argent Wrote:

TESLER (growls): Where did you hear this blasphemy?!

Seriously, though, I've never heard anything to that effect anywhere. (I know some fans have decided it's not part of their personal headcanon, but that's something completely different.) Considering the quality of the writing in Uprising, and how cleanly it slots into existing continuity, they'd be insane to declare it non-canon.

One of the legacy writers is in Uprising, also the Scars two partner offers another explanation as to why Tron is alive ( unlike Betrayal where tron flees at the end....and nothing happens) so I guess you could say that Uprising has a higher level of canocity than Betrayal

PH3AR
User

on Wednesday, January, 30, 2013 3:05 PM
I thought I specifically remember Kitsis and Horowitz stating early on in Uprising, I believe shortly before it came out that Uprising wasn't canon. I'll see if I can find the interview.

TRON: Gridlines
A new TRON community, for a new Digital Age.

spacedinosaurblue
User

on Wednesday, January, 30, 2013 3:42 PM
All "extended universe" materials generally treat the film or original TV series as "first rank" canon, and the extended stuff is then considered canon except in any detail that conflicts with first rank or "A" canon of the films.

Example: Tron Uprising takes great pains to work Scars into Clu's attack on Flynn as filmed and shot in the Legacy movie right down to every line of dialog. However, in Legacy's flashbacks, Tron is always in black "stealth suit" mode, whereas in Uprising he is seen in Scars wearing his white Encom-derived uniform. So Scars works as canon for Legacy save something as small (but noticeable) as Tron's suit mode during the encounter with Clu.

The Tron: Betrayal graphic novel appears to have been VERY loosely written, by a writer with questionable access to the shooting script for Tron: Legacy, as well as little advice on the timeline of events. Betrayal probably fills in the gross details but in terms of logic, it make less sense than Tron: Evolution and Tron: Uprising.

The most significant thing Betrayal adds is the background info on Flynn's personal life and the death of his wife.

As far as comments from writers, ultimately the producers/directors/showrunners have final say on whether or not something is canon; writers can often be quite fuzzy on just what has been decided for the overall shape of a franchise.

KingJ.exe
User

on Wednesday, January, 30, 2013 3:58 PM
Agree with above post. Lemme see if I can list it a little plainer:

Rank A canon: T82, T:L. What is said in here is what happened.
Rank B canon: T:U What's said here is how it happened unless it conflicts with rank A.
Rank C canon: T:E What's said here is how it happened unless it conflicts with rank B or A.
Rank D canon: T:B What's said here is how it happened unless it conflicts with C, B or A.
Rank E canon: Novelizations and comic adaptations (not including Betrayal). What's said here is how it happened unless it conflicts with any of the above ranks.

In each case of conflict, the higher ranked canon takes precedence.

Now, each person will probably order it differently, but that's how I roll with Canon.

Watch me stream TRON 2.0 on my YouTube channel!
https://gaming.youtube.com/channel/UCvvT-h8JK4w1xgKavs35WHg/live

Find the archive here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLf9ZcCtZm_CjonNAjms4wKN-p6UuiCMgZ

Argent
User

on Wednesday, January, 30, 2013 4:11 PM
spacedinosaurblue Wrote:Example: Tron Uprising takes great pains to work Scars into Clu's attack on Flynn as filmed and shot in the Legacy movie right down to every line of dialog. However, in Legacy's flashbacks, Tron is always in black "stealth suit" mode, whereas in Uprising he is seen in Scars wearing his white Encom-derived uniform. So Scars works as canon for Legacy save something as small (but noticeable) as Tron's suit mode during the encounter with Clu.

Personally, I'm actually inclined to favor Uprising over Legacy on that. The "playback glitches" during the flashback seem to imply that Flynn's own memory of the incident isn't 100% reliable at this point. (It's also why his memories of Sam as a child looked like something from a badly-degraded VHS tape.) That Flynn could've misremembered which outfit Tron was wearing when the ambush went down after 900+ years of subjective time doesn't seem like a big stretch to me. (Then again, I really want to see Tron in a live-action version of the white Uprising suit, too, so I'm probably a little biased here! )

laphtiya
User

on Thursday, January, 31, 2013 4:30 AM
LORD_Z3DD Wrote:
Also Laphyta, really? you think that they introduced a truckload of characters , a bunch of story arcs and new concepts only to help tron 3? In fact I believe the biggest problem tron 3 faces is that is going to feel plotless when compared to Uprising, much like Legacy

Not in a direct way, I think they did this to basically to pad out the background of T:L and why not? It has been done plenty of times and more so now than ever, prequal comics and bridge comics are common place these days. Japanese anime have been known to create a series to pad things out between movies, so why would it be beyond Disney to do this very thing?

LORD_Z3DD
User

on Thursday, January, 31, 2013 8:44 AM
laphtiya Wrote:

Not in a direct way, I think they did this to basically to pad out the background of T:L and why not? It has been done plenty of times and more so now than ever, prequal comics and bridge comics are common place these days. Japanese anime have been known to create a series to pad things out between movies, so why would it be beyond Disney to do this very thing?

I still don't understand what you mean, except for Tron himself and Quorra's cameo , what in uprising has ANYTHING to do with Legacy? It sure is the same grid. but we have a diferent villian, a new main character, a new city and a bunch of new vehicles, also seeing how disney treats UPRISING the chances of someone from the series appearing in tron 3 are aproximately 0

Now im not telling you that you HAVE to treat UPRISING like the holy grail of animation and accept Charlie Bean as your personal lord and savior, but saying it was made only to set up some concepts fron Tron 3 and nothing else is kind of harsh seeing how much work went into making a complex plot.

IZI
User

on Friday, February, 01, 2013 2:49 AM
and with its decline in viewership, beck is unlikely to appear in tron 3. Sad though,he is a lot more deeper character than sam. I thought sam was very annoying.order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

best scene in Legacy is the part where Jeff Bridges is fighting Jeff Bridges on a bridge that bridges worlds Jeff Bridges lived on.

number of letters sent to disney for the uprising: 4

Sagitta
User

on Friday, February, 01, 2013 11:56 AM
IZI Wrote:and with its decline in viewership, beck is unlikely to appear in tron 3. Sad though,he is a lot more deeper character than sam. I thought sam was very annoying.

Agreed. Though I would have thought Tron: Uprising could be as both self-contained. No reason why he couldn't be mentioned in passing as a past leader of the uprising (one which was mentioned in Legacy.)

Since I put 2 cents in regarding Dsiney's own cutting of it's throat regarding how they handled the show's promotion, timing, availability, ect...won't do so here. Really is a shame though.

Would be interesting if some other characters could be "fleshed out" on the big screen that was from the series. While Beck would be nice so would Mara and Zed. Can think of a few others. Just because they have their beginning in Uprising...isn't the 3rd film supposed to take place several years after Legacy? Characters do grow and develop in differing ways.where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

ISOlatedThinker
User

on Friday, February, 01, 2013 4:46 PM
I'm sorry I haven't been on recently guys.. I don't have Disney , and so I haven't been able to keep up with the series. I have been actively campaigning for another season though, and I'm trying the best I can to let Disney know TRON LIVES. There is a thread here with an address to write letters to Disney.(http://tron-sector.com/forums/default.aspx?a=top&id=448786) Also, you can send in tweets to @DisneyChannelPR. This is the official Twitter for all three Disney networks. If they ever...WHEN they release this series as a box set, I WILL be buying it.

TRON LIVES

Pilgrim1099
User

on Friday, February, 01, 2013 7:35 PM
Just saw the finale episode. Dammit, Disney! Thanks a lot for such poor timing!

To those who think Beck would be in Tron 3, I beg to differ but I highly doubt that would make sense at all. The audience who saw Legacy but missed the animated series will get confused if that happened.abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

IZI
User

on Saturday, February, 02, 2013 3:00 AM
i would like for beck to come pick up tron from the sea of simulation in the biginning of tron 3...and Elijah Wood could bring audience as well! And Beck dosent need that much explanation...

buut..cant see it happening knowing disney..

best scene in Legacy is the part where Jeff Bridges is fighting Jeff Bridges on a bridge that bridges worlds Jeff Bridges lived on.

number of letters sent to disney for the uprising: 4

ShadowDragon1
User

on Sunday, February, 03, 2013 10:41 PM
The 40th Annual Annie Awards
"Production Design in an Animated Television/Broadcast Production
Alberto Mielgo ‘Tron: Uprising: The Stranger’ – Disney TV Animation

Character Design in an Animated Television/Broadcast Production
Robert Valley ‘Disney Tron: Uprising: The Renegade, Part I’ – Disney TV Animation"

Is anyone in power at Disney paying attention? I hope they are paying attention and see that it won these accolades and awards. Are they even listening to the fans tweeting about how we want a second season and a better time slot, like on The Disney Channel, do they even realize that the show appeals more to 18 yr olds and up, and they vastly love the series and is not really meant for little boys 4-7 yrs old?! Wake up powers that be at Disney. wake up. please.

"The film is about finding human connection in an increasingly digital world." - Joseph Kosinski

Argent
User

on Monday, February, 04, 2013 12:00 AM
Pilgrim1099 Wrote:Just saw the finale episode. Dammit, Disney! Thanks a lot for such poor timing!

To those who think Beck would be in Tron 3, I beg to differ but I highly doubt that would make sense at all. The audience who saw Legacy but missed the animated series will get confused if that happened.

What's so confusing? Introduce him as a disciple and close friend of Tron's and a leader of one of the rebel factions Bartik mentions in Legacy. Boom, done.

I don't think anyone in the audience would find the revelation that Tron had friends and associates besides Flynn, or that he had more of a past than what little we saw in Legacy, terribly hard to follow.

TRON.dll
User

on Monday, February, 04, 2013 1:37 AM
ShadowDragon1 Wrote:Is anyone in power at Disney paying attention?

Haha, nope.

Dammit. where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

laphtiya
User

on Monday, February, 04, 2013 3:25 AM
LORD_Z3DD Wrote:I still don't understand what you mean, except for Tron himself and Quorra's cameo , what in uprising has ANYTHING to do with Legacy? It sure is the same grid. but we have a diferent villian, a new main character, a new city and a bunch of new vehicles, also seeing how disney treats UPRISING the chances of someone from the series appearing in tron 3 are aproximately 0

Now im not telling you that you HAVE to treat UPRISING like the holy grail of animation and accept Charlie Bean as your personal lord and savior, but saying it was made only to set up some concepts fron Tron 3 and nothing else is kind of harsh seeing how much work went into making a complex plot.

Well T:U has set up more of a background to the Grid, its expanded the universe and it has shown us a few things. For example in the grid at least it seems possible for Programs to choose to rebel against the system or act outside of their programming. There are a few things but I don't want to get in to that at the moment, I'm not saying that Charlie Bean has set this up only for Tron 3. What I said was that this might have been something that Disney had in mind all along in my opinion, just when you take into consideration the time it took for this series to come out, the we need more ratings but lets put it at a unwatchable time slot say to me that they did this only to keep interest alive for Tron 3 and never intended this to be a multi season show. It's a hard pill to swallow I know, clearly the writers wanted to go far with this and like them I prey it does. But again I think Disney have no clue on what franchise they have here similar to Fox with firefly.

IZI Wrote:i would like for beck to come pick up tron from the sea of simulation in the biginning of tron 3...and Elijah Wood could bring audience as well! And Beck dosent need that much explanation...

buut..cant see it happening knowing disney..

This could be handled in the same way that Quorra explains the events of T:E, Tron could simply say that "A ally and friend" helped him. We would all know he means Beck and it would be a nice tie in without making a complex mess.

renderinfo2
User

on Monday, February, 04, 2013 10:00 AM
laphtiya Wrote:I'm not saying that Charlie Bean has set this up only for Tron 3. What I said was ...they did this only to keep interest alive for Tron 3 and never intended this to be a multi season show...

I had to take out all your disclaimers, but I think the above is the gist of what you are thinking. I can see your point, but only after you put in a few missing "time qualifiers". And I don't totally agree.

I am VERY POSITIVE that Disney "green-lighted" AND budgeted the Tron:Uprising series before Tron Legacy was released to the theaters. In fact, I am also quite sure that principal casting on the animation was finished well before the movie came out, and production of the pilot and the first few episodes also started BEFORE Tron Legacy was released. That's easy enough to prove, just look at the date of the promotional materials, cast and announcements of the animated series. All were around 6 to 3 months before the movie was released in Dec 2010.

I'm also pretty confident (although I admit it's a guess) that the ENTIRE BUDGET for the Tron:Uprising animation was "approved" BEFORE Tron Legacy hit the theaters. After that, it's pretty plain to see that Disney spent as little as possible to advertise, air and schedule the series. Although they did continue to "spend" money as proven by Charlie and Co's last Comic-con appearance to promote Uprising.

It's fairly obvious to assume that Disney was hoping for Tron to become a very lucrative franchise. They approved/paid for many Tron Legacy toys (SpinMaster), a WELL DONE Movie tie-in ARG (Flynn Lives!), Pre-movie release SDCC promotions, and tying up the cast and writers for Tron 3, AND green-lighting the masterpiece they didn't know they had: Tron:Uprising. They even had a "Flynn's Arcade" and Tron Monorail promotion at the parks.

But alas, somehow, I don't think Tron:Legacy lived up to their expectations. 176m domestic and 400m world gross movie revenue is GREAT in my opinion, but it's painfully obvious Disney expected MORE. That left Tron:Uprising with a very short leash. Either perform in the ratings, or be left to wither on the vine. We (Disney) aren't spending any more without a return on investment. My belief is the vast majority of Disney's Tron investment (like I believe 90%+), including the marketing, production and distribution of Tron:Uprising was made BEFORE Tron Legacy was released.

And YES, laphtiya, I SORT OF agree with you that Disney was hoping the animated series would do well so they can feel confident in moving forward with Tron 3.

But I disagree that the "reason" that Tron:Uprising exists was for the "promotion" of a Tron 3. I am sure it is was "one of the reasons", but in general, I think Disney was hoping to turn Tron into another "Star Wars" or "Iron Man" or "Batman" or "Toy Story" type franchise. Obviously, that didn't happen, and we are left with one of my favorite series of all time, cancelled after one season. And it (Tron:Uprising) wasn't run as a "promotional vehicle" for Tron 3, it was run as a "promotional vehicle" for the entire Tron Franchise.

So, if you add "time elements" to your theory, then you could make a better claim that Tron:Uprising was meant to keep interest alive for Tron 3. I however, choose to believe that Tron:Uprising was meant to keep interest alive for Tron OVERALL. Including more seasons of Uprising, as well as Tron movies 3, 4, and 5.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Pilgrim1099
User

on Monday, February, 04, 2013 10:22 AM
Argent Wrote:
Pilgrim1099 Wrote:Just saw the finale episode. Dammit, Disney! Thanks a lot for such poor timing!

To those who think Beck would be in Tron 3, I beg to differ but I highly doubt that would make sense at all. The audience who saw Legacy but missed the animated series will get confused if that happened.

What's so confusing? Introduce him as a disciple and close friend of Tron's and a leader of one of the rebel factions Bartik mentions in Legacy. Boom, done.

I don't think anyone in the audience would find the revelation that Tron had friends and associates besides Flynn, or that he had more of a past than what little we saw in Legacy, terribly hard to follow.

However, if Tron 3 happens, I don't think Beck will be in this story. After all, CLU and Flynn are gone (apparently) and that makes the uprising movement pointless now. No reason to have a disciple when Rinzler is now back to being Tron unless there were plans to kill him off and 'pass the baton' (light cycle pun intended) to the next Program.

There is that danger of introducing too many characters into the story and pulling a "Return of the Jedi" that would sink the story. Tron 3 needs to be lean and focused, with a lot of personal stake.

So, that being said, the Uprising is OVER. The reign of CLU is gone. Unless Sammy rewrites CLU 3.0 to set things right because if his father had a digital avatar, Sam's gonna need one as well.

This is about TRON, the 'digital Superman' with a moral code, at least he has no problem derezzing programs if he has to compared to Beck. In fact, Shaddox was the main OS on Flynn's private server and that mean Sam will have to rewrite the Shaddox code or rebuild a new one, but he will have to install that chip somewhere more stable to resuscitate the Grid. He might have to use the ENCOM servers privately. After all, ENCOM is his to run and he can do whatever he wants with it, probably to Dillinger Jr's chagrin.

The first movie took place in ENCOM, then Legacy was at Flynn's arcade, so Tron 3 will probably have to come full circle back at ENCOM. Those server Grids have to be effing huge in size compared to Flynn's Grid. He probably maxed it out with the latest processor and RAM back in 1989 and it already hit the ceiling limit (which is probably why CLU was frustrated that he can't 'grow' anymore and wants more).

But if Sam migrates the chip into the ENCOM server, then those programs are going to be interacting with the ENCOM Programs. Then they will be in the shoes of the ISOs this time around as 'digital immigrants'.

Think about it.

abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

Pilgrim1099
User

on Monday, February, 04, 2013 10:29 AM
renderinfo2 Wrote:
But I disagree that the "reason" that Tron:Uprising exists was for the "promotion" of a Tron 3. I am sure it is was "one of the reasons", but in general, I think Disney was hoping to turn Tron into another "Star Wars" or "Iron Man" or "Batman" or "Toy Story" type franchise. Obviously, that didn't happen, and we are left with one of my favorite series of all time, cancelled after one season. And it (Tron:Uprising) wasn't run as a "promotional vehicle" for Tron 3, it was run as a "promotional vehicle" for the entire Tron Franchise.

So, if you add "time elements" to your theory, then you could make a better claim that Tron:Uprising was meant to keep interest alive for Tron 3. I however, choose to believe that Tron:Uprising was meant to keep interest alive for Tron OVERALL. Including more seasons of Uprising, as well as Tron movies 3, 4, and 5.

That's one of the reason why I thought it made no sense for Uprising to be a tie in to Tron 3 because T:U took place way before Sam's arrival and the Rinzler Era. It was a way for the writers to go 'retroactive' on the story, to a degree.

Now if you say that they did work on the animated series right before Legacy was shooting, this might explain why Tron wore white and this could have been a big mistake on their part.

And when Legacy came out, they went "Oh great. He's wearing black the whole time. Ooops. We should've painted him black the whole time".

In fact, in the Nintendo Wii game of Battle Grids, Tron wore black and this was right before the Uprising started. The 'innocent' days of the Games before CLU set them to the 'kill switch' instead of stun mode. The creative styling and character design was very close and similar to the Uprising art direction. I think the game studio worked closely with the animation folks, if I'm not mistaken and that's where they got the reference material for, including the Legacy production folks. I'm sure the gaming studio had NO idea that Tron wore WHITE in Uprising.

Not the most perfect game on the Wii but the Cycles and the Jai Alai game was great fun!

The only reason why I think the animation studio made him wear white was that it was a design aesthetic to set him apart from the other characters even though it does visually contradict with Legacy and other published material. The other theory was that the white suit was a 'life support' suit but the show could've EXPLAINED that, otherwise Beck does not need that because he's not 'virally sick'. It is probably that it acts as a protective armor, like a second coating.

I think the question is how much inside information did the Uprising animation studio have they were privy to in regards to Legacy to keep the show consistent? And why did Disney announce the writers AFTER Legacy came out? It's almost as if they were going 'retroactive'. And going retroactive is not new to me because comic book writers do this a lot, especially Marvel and DC which they're guilty of.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. I love the show and the animation quality of it but the compressed storytelling in some of the 'rushed' episodes and Tron's white suit does bother me a bit. It's that sense of inconsistency that sets me off. I'm an artist, so I see things differently.

KiaPurity
User

on Monday, February, 04, 2013 1:18 PM
Finally watching the episodes after finding out that Amazon has them with captions.

Still wanting to give Disney a good boot in the butt for canceling just about everything Tron. (Still incredibly bitter about Tron 2.0's expansion.)

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

FirstPrevious Page: of 6 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: UPRISING 
 TRON: UPRISING - The Series Comes To An End