TRON: UPRISING 
 "Variety" article lays out the future of Tron: Uprising

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
BanditTron
User

on Monday, March, 18, 2013 10:43 PM
Taken from the article, "How TV has Replaced Animated Films as Disney’s Biggest Brand Ambassador" posted on March 15, 2013:

Disney X D’s visually impressive and pricey animated series “Tron: Uprising,” based on the films, struggled to attract the channel’s core viewers of 6- 11-year-old boys. The series’ tone appealed more to an older audience that isn’t yet watching the channel.

“It did well with many segments of the audience, but missed some of the key demos,” DeBenedittis says. “It’s one of those examples where if the bull’s-eye is the Disney brand, and you go into the other rings, you take some risks in missing the magic of the bull’s-eye. (“Tron: Uprising” took the right risk and we created a show to be so proud of, but it hit the secondary ring of the target.”)

With a sequel to “Tron: Legacy” in the works at the studio, Disney Channels plans to eventually bring back “Tron,” but it may not be returning as the same show, DeBenedittis says.

Paul DeBenedittis is Disney Channels Senior Vice President, Programming Strategy

See the full article here:

http://variety.com/2013/biz/features/how-tv-has-replaced-animated-films-as-disneys-biggest-brand-ambassador-1200324380/

Looks like they have an idea to bring it back but it might end up looking like the other animated schlock like The 9th grade ninja show.

Kind of depressing to think that TRON will be downgraded to an obsolete operating system. But at least we might still see the story that we want to be told even if it's not in the same serious tone.

This statement pretty much proves that TRON: Uprising (or a similar idea) is not truly cancelled but only on "hiatus"

LucrataNexarii
User

RE: "Variety" article lays out the future of Tron: Uprising

on Monday, March, 18, 2013 11:11 PM
...Well, cubes to it!

Personally, looking at the tone that Uprising has set, and Legacy before it, I'd hate to see 'Tron' come back as something notably more... 'Kiddified.' As a path of development, I think that goes backwards.

Tron: Uprising serves as a great bridge for both the old and new Tron-fan generations, and can easily carry itself forward as a compelling story.

I dread what might occur by way of this ... Transmogrification, if that's how they truly wish to continue things.

Letters sent to Disney: 7
Let them hear 'Tron lives!!'

WorldOutWest
Sector Admin

on Monday, March, 18, 2013 11:21 PM
BanditTron Wrote:

This statement pretty much proves that TRON: Uprising (or a similar idea) is not truly cancelled but only on "hiatus"

Keep in mind -- that's completely analogous with what I was told by TRON: UPRISING filmmakers a few months ago -- and which I posted in my January 9th article on the front page/news section here at tron-sector -- where I said:

While this is "The End" for now -- there is perhaps a possibility of TRON returning in animated series form circa the time of TRON 3.

- Jay

Castor from TRON: LEGACY - "Change the scheme..! Alter the mood...! Electrify the boys and girls if you'd be so kind.."

LucrataNexarii
User

on Monday, March, 18, 2013 11:40 PM
Clearly. I've had the same inclination that this might happen, myself.

Unfortunately, while I assume a fair number of youths are involved and interested in Tron: Uprising (also, considering that Uprising wasn't extensively advertised, the number may still be considered as below their threshold level of success) , I would at first think that the large number of interested adults and young adults would be a great boon to the value of the series.

Perhaps someone here could clarify Disney's exact criteria for 'success?' ... Aside from the sardonic 'Produce it cheaply,' and 'Kids eat it up mindlessly like hotcakes.'

BanditTron
User

on Monday, March, 18, 2013 11:44 PM
WorldOutWest Wrote:
Keep in mind -- that's completely analogous with what I was told by TRON: UPRISING filmmakers a few months ago -- and which I posted in my January 9th article on the front page/news section here at tron-sector -- where I said:

While this is "The End" for now -- there is perhaps a possibility of TRON returning in animated series form circa the time of TRON 3.

- Jay

When I was reading the article I remembered what you wrote about it and related to it.

This was just finally somewhat more of an official announcement in black and white from someone at Disney. We just wanted someone at Disney to step up and say what was happening and DeBenedittis finally did that. We all just wanted a name and a quote to either dash our dreams or further our excitement.where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

WorldOutWest
Sector Admin

on Monday, March, 18, 2013 11:50 PM
I don't think it's correct to assume that the new animated incarnation of TRON will be "kidified" -- rather, that the platform for the "new" series will be different. Disney X D was far too limiting a stage for the series -- and all the while, the series was impeded with the wildly sporadic/changing showtimes and mixed brew of new and repeat showings. The series has been widely praised and acknowledged for its high integrity animation and storytelling -- and Disney knows this (much of that praise, including awards, came after the series was already cancelled). where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

Castor from TRON: LEGACY - "Change the scheme..! Alter the mood...! Electrify the boys and girls if you'd be so kind.."

LucrataNexarii
User

on Tuesday, March, 19, 2013 12:06 AM
Yes... Pardon my cynicism. I have as much good hopes as any other person here.

My worry is more towards any changes in quality or tone, and what that may imply of the basis of how a new production might be presented and structured. While Uprising has shown clear successes, I fret that any given new material might fall to a disagreeable level of maturity.

I also echo BanditTron's statement. where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

WorldOutWest
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, March, 19, 2013 12:31 AM
LucrataNexarii Wrote:Yes... Pardon my cynicism. I have as much good hopes as any other person here.

My worry is more towards any changes in quality or tone, and what that may imply of the basis of how a new production might be presented and structured. While Uprising has shown clear successes, I fret that any given new material might fall to a disagreeable level of maturity.

I also echo BanditTron's statement.

Why do you "fret"? LOL! -- like a Shakespeare play going on here...

Change is inevitable -- especially if different subject matter is covered -- including if it segues into/occurs circa TRON 3.

As I'd previously mentioned, the quality level and tone of UPRISING have both been recognized as successes. To say just because other material is being covered, and that the quality and tone have to be sacrificed as a result -- that's not synonymous. LEGACY has a completely different tone than the original TRON -- but both are fantastic

- Jay

LucrataNexarii
User

on Tuesday, March, 19, 2013 1:02 AM
Aye, true. I am rather old-fashioned. I would use the term 'anachronistic' - but then I'd be inclined to joke at myself for having been a member of the SCA (Society of Creative Anachronism), and my interest in leatherwork and bookbinding.

I understand that you make a good point with dividing and defining the two terms, West... But I am a pessimist (though a hopeful one) at heart, and I fear that one might equal the other, given what the rest of the article defines as 'successful.' Their overtones of quoting target demographic ranges lend to that. I simply fear to have my sense of faith in the current state and quality of the Tron material damaged by some choice of DIsney's.

But, we will see what comes, in time. I trust that you will continue to relate news with clarity and a level voice, which I am sure the Tron community can easily appreciate.

WorldOutWest
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, March, 19, 2013 1:16 AM
LucrataNexarii Wrote:But I am a pessimist (though a hopeful one) at heart, and I fear that one might equal the other, given what the rest of the article defines as 'successful.' Their overtones of quoting target demographic ranges lend to that. I simply fear to have my sense of faith in the current state and quality of the Tron material damaged by some choice of DIsney's.

But, we will see what comes, in time. I trust that you will continue to relate news with clarity and a level voice, which I am sure the Tron community can easily appreciate.

The reference to the target demographic ranges being missed comes off more as a "save face" tactic by some there than anything else -- again, the widest range of audience possible would garner the highest success. It appears as if it was ultimately said to dissuade the fact that Disney X D has a very limited audience to begin with.

- Jay
on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill onlineorder abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

LucrataNexarii
User

on Tuesday, March, 19, 2013 1:24 AM
Heh. A fine bit of notice, West. I respect your ability to pick those (likely) factors from the statements.

renderinfo2
User

on Tuesday, March, 19, 2013 12:31 PM
WorldoutWest definitely has a unique view.

It's obvious to me from the article that the "Executive Level" decision makers at Disney expected a "Disney X D" version of Tron Uprising and weren't happy that they didn't get one, hence the cancellation.

I think most of us (the forum members here) all did a collective "hunh?" when Disney announced Tron Uprising was going to be a "Disney X D exclusive". I did in fact "subscribe" to(include in my cable package) Disney X D mainly for Tron Uprising, and my kids (2011-ages 9, 11 and 11) certainly didn't object.

But somebody somewhere at Disney missed something. Tron Uprising is definitely NOT for the 6-11 age group. My 11 year old boy certainly likes it, but it's not a "must see" for him. Early on (like somewhere between Jan-June 2011), the "Execute Level" decision makers should have realized that the Uprising being produced isn't "X D material", and should have either changed the target audience (preferred) or instructed the producers (Kitsis, Horowitz and Bean) to produce a "6-11 year-old friendly" animated series. I truly believe the Uprising cast just produced the best series possible and did not target an age group.

Now, whether the mistake was that they didn't target the right age group or Disney didn't recognize that this shouldn't be treated as an "X D exclusive" is past history. The series has been cancelled, and any new series will most likely be targeted at the " X D demographic" (at least thats what I read in the article). That's still depressing to me, because I would much rather Disney realize they had a quality show, identify the correct target demographic, and then market/distribute the product accordingly. By what WoW is saying, Disney recognized they had a quality show, but they would prefer a Tron property (series) that targets the "X D demographic". What a bummer. Kinda makes me nervous about what they do with Tron 3.

But anything is possible, and optimistically, an "X D Tron series" might prove wildly popular and lead to new Tron canon for the next 20 years. I guess I can't complain about that. At least it's good to read that Tron 3 is still "moving along", whatever that means.

Just my thoughts...
abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

WorldOutWest
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, March, 19, 2013 3:57 PM
renderinfo2 Wrote:
It's obvious to me from the article that the "Executive Level" decision makers at Disney expected a "Disney X D" version of Tron Uprising and weren't happy that they didn't get one, hence the cancellation.

Not the case -- the process of production was evident at all times -- and there's no mystery as to what the actual show was going to be like or entail. Again, the issue was the limited number of viewers, which again, stems from the erratic showing of the episodes -- and the limited audience that Disney X D has.

- Jay
abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

BanditTron
User

on Tuesday, March, 19, 2013 4:16 PM
A little off topic but still relates in a sense is this, as far as the demographic is concerned:

When TRON (1982) came out I saw it when I was 6 years old. I loved IT! Mostly because it had cool motorcycles the likes of which made walls that you could destroy others with and that they tossed around killer frisbees. That is all I got from it back then.

Not until later when I was much older was I able to appreciate the other elements of the film such as the actual story and the underpinnings of political and religious elements.

So in that sense, TRON 82 hit the mark with both demographics(for me anyway) and I'm pretty sure TRON: Uprising had the same thing goin for it. It had the flash and fun of fights and races with cool vehicles for the kiddos and the story for the adults.

So I agree with Jay when it was really the changing of the timeslots and having it absent from the programming schedule for months on end as well as NO REPEAT AIRINGS during the week that led to the bad ratings.

LORD_Z3DD
User

on Wednesday, March, 20, 2013 12:30 AM

Looks like they have an idea to bring it back but it might end up looking like the other animated schlock like The 9th grade ninja show.

they are going to take an adult series and kiddify it just to appeal to some kids? WTF is wrong with disney?

This is going to feels very out of place if it continues the story of uprising...

And you know what? I'll think it'll be better if they cancelled Uprising than turning it into a stupid toddler show like superhero squad

WorldOutWest
Sector Admin

on Wednesday, March, 20, 2013 1:02 AM
LORD_Z3DD Wrote:

they are going to take an adult series and kiddify it just to appeal to some kids? WTF is wrong with disney?

This is going to feels very out of place if it continues the story of uprising...

And you know what? I'll think it'll be better if they cancelled Uprising than turning it into a stupid toddler show like superhero squad

We've been over this bud -- that's not what's happening Read all posts above.

LucrataNexarii
User

on Wednesday, March, 20, 2013 2:08 AM
Heh, fine and well, West - but I still love LORD_Z3DD's expressiveness.

It captures that gut fear, or lurking terror, which many a Program is bound to experience in first reading and reacting to this article.

WorldOutWest
Sector Admin

on Wednesday, March, 20, 2013 2:23 AM
LucrataNexarii Wrote:Heh, fine and well, West - but I still love LORD_Z3DD's expressiveness.

It captures that gut fear, or lurking terror, which many a Program is bound to experience in first reading and reacting to this article.

I hear 'ya -- but that's largely because one's "interjecting" or "reading" that into it.

Trying to keep it factual here

LucrataNexarii
User

on Wednesday, March, 20, 2013 5:23 AM
Of course, of course. And I respect and enjoy the different facets of perspective that we all bring in. Your interpretations and experience are valued, West.

... But a bit of humor (or, at least, taking a post as humor) is good to lighten any apprehension we might harbor.

IZI
User

on Wednesday, March, 20, 2013 5:45 AM
i can imagine the hate disney would get if they "kiddified"it
It would be so hilariously brutal, i wouldnt know wether to laugh or cry. Yes, that meme explained it better than me.

in all seriousness though, they (Disney) already have the new spiderman show , which is a kiddified, skapstick thing, and we cant have too many of those either
The wery thing that makes uprising such a great series is the adult perspective on the story, characters , animation and action. And judging from the article, disney is aware of that. They know they have created something unique, they just have to sort things out a biy for now. Maybe i´m a bit optimistic on this, but the article made it seem like that. That whatever happens, they do recognize uprising for its value.

(if you ask me they sohuld renew it now , maybe just on web and try to get more views)

Whta first came in my mind though when they said tron might look different was a series involved in the 3rd TRON movie. Like a series based on that, or a prequel.

best scene in Legacy is the part where Jeff Bridges is fighting Jeff Bridges on a bridge that bridges worlds Jeff Bridges lived on.

number of letters sent to disney for the uprising: 4

Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: UPRISING