Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 TRON: UPRISING 
 Is it unethical to DL T:U from someplace for free because Disney had it online for free?

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Moses613
User

Is it unethical to DL T:U from someplace for free because Disney had it online for free?

on Friday, March, 22, 2013 9:32 AM
Okay so you can pay to DL it from iTunes. I suppose you could pay to get it on DVD or Blu-Ray when and/or if it comes out on such media. But since Disney had it for free (just one episode at a time though) on their web site, do you think it' s unethical or ethical to DL it from a third party source for free? where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

renderinfo2
User

RE: Is it unethical to DL T:U from someplace for free because Disney had it online for free?

on Friday, March, 22, 2013 1:17 PM
Moses613 Wrote:Okay so you can pay to DL it from iTunes. I suppose you could pay to get it on DVD or Blu-Ray when and/or if it comes out on such media. But since Disney had it for free (just one episode at a time though) on their web site, do you think it' s unethical or ethical to DL it from a third party source for free?
Loaded question.

Still, obviously unethical. Porting to "physical real world" anology as close as I can, if a company gives away DVD's as a promotional effort, then stops and starts selling them, I doubt they approve of you still getting it for free from an "unauthorized" source. Hope that helps...

Honda Enoch
User

RE: Is it unethical to DL T:U from someplace for free because Disney had it online for free?

on Friday, March, 22, 2013 1:40 PM
Yes Loaded question.
But here is my take on copyright laws.

If someone uses copyrighted material (images, sounds, videos) for anything they are NOT MAKING MONEY from, and they give proper credit. Then there should be no issues.

Example. I work in Second Life. A few years ago we rebuilt the entire Magic Kingdom from Walt Disney World. We used official sounds from the park, images, attraction map layouts, ect. We called the park Mouse World. We called the attractions the names from the real park, The Haunted Mansion, ect. We DID NOT CHARGE admission. We had thousands of visitors a day and most all said "now I need to visit the real park".

My Point, We used copy righted material but did NOT make money from it. So IMO it was a "No harm, no foul" situation. (BTW Yes Disney Co. knew about us. we had WDW park managers working with us at times).

So to download videos, music for free for your own personal use. I don't see a problem. As I said in another thread I DLed all 19 T:U episodes, I have hundreds of thousands of movies and shows DLed. I do not sell them. I do not hold public showings. So no harm, no foul.

My other ride is a Light Cycle.

Java
User

on Friday, March, 22, 2013 3:02 PM
There' a lot of technicalities separating "copyright violation" from "online piracy"
It was mainly because of the major loss of sales in the music industry when sites like Napster first got started.

Copyright Violation, like you were saying, is specifically when someone is profiting from material they don't own without permission from the creator.

Online Piracy is unethical, in terms of intellectual property and exchange, because it allows to acquire something for free that you are expected to pay for. The laws for this vary case by case, but overall there is no way to logically enforce laws against online piracy.

END OF LINE.

jediknight0
User

on Friday, March, 22, 2013 11:16 PM
Honda Enoch Wrote:My Point, We used copy righted material but did NOT make money from it. So IMO it was a "No harm, no foul" situation. (BTW Yes Disney Co. knew about us. we had WDW park managers working with us at times).

You were lucky you didn't get sued.

It's not as simple as you think. You admittedly used copy-righted materials (sounds, names). What if you used the sounds and names for say, the haunted mansion, but your map/model was crappy and made people hate the attraction? Disney would have a valid point sueing you because based on your illegal use of copy-righted material you damaged thier reputation (or brand).

Honda Enoch
User

on Friday, March, 22, 2013 11:25 PM
jediknight0 Wrote:
Honda Enoch Wrote:My Point, We used copy righted material but did NOT make money from it. So IMO it was a "No harm, no foul" situation. (BTW Yes Disney Co. knew about us. we had WDW park managers working with us at times).

You were lucky you didn't get sued.

It's not as simple as you think. You admittedly used copy-righted materials (sounds, names). What if you used the sounds and names for say, the haunted mansion, but your map/model was crappy and made people hate the attraction? Disney would have a valid point sueing you because based on your illegal use of copy-righted material you damaged thier reputation (or brand).

Because our map model was not crappy is why we didn't have problems from Disney. It's more simple then you think. It's people that go out and use copyrighted material to make money that mess it up for everyone.

jediknight0
User

on Sunday, March, 24, 2013 12:34 AM
Honda Enoch Wrote:Because our map model was not crappy is why we didn't have problems from Disney. It's more simple then you think. It's people that go out and use copyrighted material to make money that mess it up for everyone.

The law is rarely simple... the lawyers like it that way.

Honda Enoch
User

on Sunday, March, 24, 2013 1:45 AM
jediknight0 Wrote:
Honda Enoch Wrote:Because our map model was not crappy is why we didn't have problems from Disney. It's more simple then you think. It's people that go out and use copyrighted material to make money that mess it up for everyone.

Um...Guessing you have never dealt with lawyers. The more complicated the law, the better it is for them. That way they can twist it how they want it. No law is simple. They are written to be confusing and misleading.

jediknight0
User

on Sunday, March, 24, 2013 2:08 AM
Honda Enoch Wrote:
jediknight0 Wrote:

Um...Guessing you have never dealt with lawyers. The more complicated the law, the better it is for them. That way they can twist it how they want it. No law is simple. They are written to be confusing and misleading.

Actually, I have had to deal with some lawyers around IP.

And I think you just re-stated what I said - the law is complicated and it's going to stay that way because it's in lawyers best interest.

You said that the issue was "more simple than you think".

l84571557
User

on Wednesday, March, 27, 2013 5:17 PM
Honda Enoch Wrote:
jediknight0 Wrote:

I'm also surprised that Disney didn't sue you and your families.
Not that what you're doing is morally wrong ,
but Disney is well known for its brutality against second creations like this, lol.

J
User

on Wednesday, March, 27, 2013 5:27 PM
The best way to get something is legitimately. I went and bought all the eps via iTunes, figuring that it was cheaper than cable, and that a struggling series needed all the help it could get.

It's an entire universe in there, one we created, but it's beyond us now. Really. It's outgrown us. You know, every time you shut off your computer...do you know what you're doing? Have you ever reformatted a hard drive? Deleted old software? Destroyed an entire universe?"

-- Jet Bradley, Tron: Ghost in the Machine on why being a User isn't necessarily a good thing.

LucrataNexarii
User

on Wednesday, March, 27, 2013 5:41 PM
I follow your view, J.

As soon as I am able, I intend to download the series from iTunes, myself. I firmly believe that any number in Tron: Uprising's favour is a worthy one. I also prefer to take the most balanced action, and I am all for legitimately obtaining the series.abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

Letters sent to Disney: 7
Let them hear 'Tron lives!!'

J
User

on Wednesday, March, 27, 2013 5:56 PM
Seeing as I got my Aussie buddy to start downloading it from iTunes just by listing the voice cast (In his words "Frodo, Bishop, AND Commander Sheridan? I think I need to lie down..."), I totally, totally want folks to get their hands on legit copies.

It's an entire universe in there, one we created, but it's beyond us now. Really. It's outgrown us. You know, every time you shut off your computer...do you know what you're doing? Have you ever reformatted a hard drive? Deleted old software? Destroyed an entire universe?"

-- Jet Bradley, Tron: Ghost in the Machine on why being a User isn't necessarily a good thing.

Murdock.dat
User

on Wednesday, March, 27, 2013 7:47 PM
J Wrote: "Frodo, Bishop, AND Commander Sheridan? "

And let's *not* forget Carl Winslow, Rapunzel, and Pee-Wee Herman! Lol!!

"On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy."

Honda Enoch
User

on Wednesday, March, 27, 2013 8:05 PM
Opps double post. please delete.where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: UPRISING