General Discussion 
 Where have all the programs gone ?

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 2 Pages
Argent
User

RE: Where have all the programs gone ?

on Tuesday, April, 29, 2014 1:57 PM
Kat Wrote:That's one of the big ones, yeah. I think they made a mistake in writing themselves into a corner in T:L, but they did; it makes it look as if they thought they were done, and then it was more popular than they expected and they thought, "oh, crap!"

I didn't really get that impression myself. *shrug* For me, it works because the only view of events we had prior to this was Flynn's, and we know that turned out to be inaccurate. (If we went strictly by the flashback, Tron should be dead. Clu raises his disc above his head, brings it down on Tron with both hands, and in the instant before it hits, Flynn turns his head away in horror and we hear a death cry from offscreen.)

It's a given that events didn't play out as Flynn originally thought - Tron actually survived the ambush and was dragged off somewhere to be Rinzler-ized by Clu. Uprising doesn't contradict that. It's not much of a stretch for me to accept that there was more to that story than Flynn himself was aware of. Or that he dismissed whatever rumors that may have reached him about a "renegade" program that might be Tron, or might be some program that had appropriated his identity, as the latter. He'd seen Tron die, after all.

Kat Wrote:The other thing that bugs me is the idea that a disc is the program's entire identity-- but that's a furthering of one of the continuity things that bugs me, where disc goes from being like a wearable electronic scorecard for the games, to something more akin to a wearable electronic national ID card... and then they took it even further.

Well, to be fair, the bit about discs functioning like recording devices was always there, even in the original Tron. The disc orientation speech in Legacy was lifted almost verbatim from the scene in Tron where Sark was addressing the conscripts. Legacy touched on the implications of "everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc". The bit in Uprising about the disc being an actual repository for a program's memories works for me because it justifies the whole "recording device" thing in my mind. (Who would willingly wear a surveillance device issued to them by an oppressive despot a moment longer than absolutely necessary? But if you can't function for extended periods without the thing, you're going to wear it whether you want to or not.)

Kat Wrote:There are other plot points, too, that bug me, but those are two of the big ones. Disney's simply taking the universe, and the idea of how it works, to places that I don't feel the first film, or even really the second, has led me to think is probably the case. It feels akin to getting interested in playing a game, only to have the rules start changing halfway through and the way you thought it worked has suddenly taken a detour.

It's funny, because that's exactly how I felt after seeing T: L. The Tron universe had well-established rules, ones that had been laid out in Tron and carried through Tron 2.0, and then Legacy came along and retconned half of them. If anything, Uprising bridges that gap, leaving me feeling like the universes of Tron and T:L are points on a spectrum rather than two completely different things connected only in name.

FirstPrevious Page: of 2 Pages
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 Where have all the programs gone ?