Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 New TRON game not cancelled! Called TRON RUN/r, available now on Steam!

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 2 Pages
Traahn
User

RE: New TRON game not cancelled! Called TRON RUN/r, available now on Steam!

on Thursday, January, 07, 2016 6:19 PM
I've determined what kind've makes me sad about recent and upcoming Tron games, is that the focus is so much on action and action-y stuff; like the only reason people like Tron is for light cycles and tossing identity discs.  Like they're trying to be arcade games instead of thoughtful and thought-provoking adventures. 

Granted, I know the original was comprised of several "gladitorial"-like matches, and there's a lot of "action" in the respect of visuals and chase scenes... so it's easy to maybe look at that as what the franchise is all about.  However, I feel there is much more to it... and just because these things are there, it doesn't mean that's all Tron is or should be, in my opinion. 

I've felt for a long time there is a lot more to explore and discover in Tron, and I've wanted to do so in a Tron game for many years, but it's just not really happening on a deep level like I've hoped for.  Tron 2.0 was definitely a giant step in the right direction (thank you DaveTRON and Monolith!!!), and that game was heaven-sent when it came out, since there had been such an absence of anything "Tron"-related for so long.  But there was a lot of room for improvement and enhancement in that game, which I had hoped would happen in an official Part 2 or large expansion pack for it, even using that game engine would've been fine since it was already built, but that never came.  As time has passed, and as technologies have improved, that desire has grown into wanting a similarly thoughtful Tron game using a new gaming engine.

I would have liked to see things like: a stealth gameplay style capability; much better AI characters that felt like they lived, breathed, reacted, and fought more realistically; much more interactivity with things in the environment; NPCs that had more personality than their one-sentence responses when you interacted with them; less linearity in the levels (though, compared to a lot of recent games, it's not too bad); the ability to commandeer a Recognizer; see some more things from the original Tron, in general, and be able to interact with them; more of a sense of exploration, adventure, and story, as if you are existing in a living, breathing world that exists with or without you; I/O towers that you can stand in and look up into, as if you're having a spiritual moment with your user, or something (maybe some of the towers could recharge your energy, or something else clever like beam you to the next level or section, I dunno; I just felt Tron 2.0 could have leveraged beautiful I/O towers more)

Sorry, I could probably go on and on, but don't want to bore you   Bottom line, I think there was room for developing the world more, and adding to the sense of adventure and exploration, without just adding more aracade-y action and battles.  So, I'm sad the route taken with Tron games recently has mainly been the more superficial things like parkour, disc tossing, light cycles, and running fast.

A first-person Tron game with the level of sophistication and thought as an Uncharted game, or as a Thief I or II game, or similar, has been my dream for a long while now.  Sadly, I'm far too aware that I realize this probably would never happen... or that I'm the minority on this.  But, I can still dream

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

Ivy
User

on Thursday, January, 07, 2016 6:36 PM
I understand what you mean ...

Tron is so much more than "just" lightcycles and disc battles..  it's an own, fascinating world with an breathtaking  visual appearance, unique characters and there is still more to discover...
I hope the Day comes that Disney WAKES UP and goes "back to the roots"

"The Grid A digital Frontier "
ONLYFREEDOM ISPERFECTION

Traahn
User

on Thursday, January, 07, 2016 8:16 PM
^-- This

For sure, Ivy... I wish the same!

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Friday, January, 08, 2016 1:12 AM

Traahn Wrote:
I would have liked to see things like: a stealth gameplay style capability; much better AI characters that felt like they lived, breathed, reacted, and fought more realistically; much more interactivity with things in the environment; NPCs that had more personality than their one-sentence responses when you interacted with them; less linearity in the levels (though, compared to a lot of recent games, it's not too bad); the ability to commandeer a Recognizer; see some more things from the original Tron, in general, and be able to interact with them; more of a sense of exploration, adventure, and story, as if you are existing in a living, breathing world that exists with or without you; I/O towers that you can stand in and look up into, as if you're having a spiritual moment with your user, or something (maybe some of the towers could recharge your energy, or something else clever like beam you to the next level or section, I dunno; I just felt Tron 2.0 could have leveraged beautiful I/O towers more)

I think LDSO's upcoming User Error 3 for TRON 2.0 will tick a few of those boxes. Provided it all works out according to plan!
  • Stealth in UE3:
  • Less linearity: (How does a wide open virtual desert you switch between riding around on a Light Cycle, and on foot, grab you?)
  • Ability to commandeer a Recognizer: (Though piloting will be limited, you can't go anywhere sadly.)
  • I/O Tower: (Though not identical to the ones seen in the original TRON film.)
  • User Powers: Shellcode (disguise), Float (levitation), Parallel Traversal (running on walls), and XZ-Amp (running incredibly fast) are tentatively planned. Disguise for sure! Just like how Flynn stole other factions' identities in the film. Fool opponents and walk right past them, or take them by surprise in combat.
  • New, appropriate TRON-inspired music:
  • Attempt to reconnect TRON 2.0 with the new "canon" continuity:
  • Imaginative and colorful new level locations:

In the meantime, our User Error 1 and 2 missions might fulfill some of your craving if you haven't played them. Particularly Part 2. (For example, these guys show up!)

User Error Parts 1 and 2

But, yeah. I totally agree with you, regarding the official games. TRON RUN/r might be a really nice endless runner, but not really what I wanted.

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

Traahn
User

on Saturday, January, 09, 2016 7:59 PM
That sounds too good to be true.  Can you instead turn User Error into a parkour runner game? hahaha just kidding.  That all sounds great, TronFAQ!  I wonder if I still have Tron 2.0 installed on my PC.  Will check.  Time just hasn't been in big surplus lately for me.  Despite me saying I would play UE in the past, I'm afraid I think I only played a short while years ago.  So much more to see and play.  2016 would be a good time to rectify that problem...

*r-r-r-r-r-rrrrectify*

deeahchur
User

on Saturday, January, 09, 2016 10:03 PM
Well, if you don't have the game installed on your computer, Steam does now carry Tron 2.0.

/ / S C A N N I N G
/ / Incompatable Program detected
/ / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
"Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Saturday, January, 09, 2016 10:51 PM

Traahn Wrote:
Can you instead turn User Error into a parkour runner game?

Haha, well like I said earlier, UE3 will likely have parkour. Kind of! It will just be possible for a brief section of the mission, as something "cool" you can do: running on walls. The difference is that it will be a reward and can only be used for a limited time. Not something that happens during the entire mission.

All the things I mentioned in the previous post, that we're planning for UE3, are indeed very ambitious. But I think we're going to pull off the majority of them. I've already posted some videos on my YouTube channel, showing tests that demo what will be in UE3.

Like this one for example (riding and stopping a Light Cycle on demand):

deeahchur Wrote:
Well, if you don't have the game installed on your computer, Steam does now carry Tron 2.0.

That's right. If anyone doesn't have the game handy, it's available on Steam now. No need to go hunting for the CDs in the attic, or online from Amazon, eBay, etc.

All right . . . sorry for hijacking the thread and going off-topic. Back to TRON RUN/r discussion!

Traahn
User

on Wednesday, January, 13, 2016 11:16 PM
Darn, I looked for Tron 2.0, and I guess I uninstalled it long ago   I will wait for it to go on a deep discount on Steam sometime and pick it up.  I know it's only $9.99... but when you're looking for a job, $9.99 is $9.99.

TRON.dll
User

on Tuesday, January, 26, 2016 8:46 AM
What does everyone think of the new lightcycles update? I personally think it's pretty fun.

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Wednesday, January, 27, 2016 10:44 PM

TRON RUN/r Game Full Release On Februrary 16, 2016 - Coming To PS4 And XB1 As Well

http://tronfaq.blogspot.com/2016/01/tron-runr-game-full-release-on.html

I wrote an article where I recapped the (somewhat rocky) road TRON RUN/r took to release, and mention what features the full game will have. Some are definitively known (because they’re mentioned on the Disney Games’ site new TRON RUN/r page or shown in the trailer), while some are still speculative (not officially mentioned yet, but unearthed by myself after snooping through the game’s files).

I’m curious to find out how Steam Early Access owners will be handled. The full game is being released for $20. Will those in Early Access be expected to pay an additional $10, or will they be rewarded for being early adopters?

EDIT: Steam Early Access owners will get the full game when it releases, at no extra charge. This is a Steam Early Access policy. So if you buy the Steam version of TRON RUN/r now, you'll get it for $10 instead of $20 at release.

TRON.dll
User

on Monday, February, 01, 2016 1:32 AM
In regards to references to characters like SPOILER... Mouse Over To Read:
Beck and Mara
, I think it'll be interesting to see what they look like in this art style. I love the lightcycle gameplay so far and I'm really looking forward to seeing what additional features the developer has in store for the full game.

PSN - TRON-dll

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Friday, February, 05, 2016 3:45 PM

There's a promotion on right now, where if you buy TRON RUN/r by February 8, 2016 you'll get a free copy of TRON 2.0!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/392000

Also, people who already bought TRON RUN/r should have received a free copy of TRON 2.0! (Like I did. LOL.)

TRON.dll
User

on Wednesday, February, 10, 2016 1:37 PM
TronFAQ Wrote:

There's a promotion on right now, where if you buy TRON RUN/r by February 8, 2016 you'll get a free copy of TRON 2.0!

Also, people who already bought TRON RUN/r should have received a free copy of TRON 2.0! (Like I did. LOL.)

I was wondering what that was about!

PSN - TRON-dll

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Monday, March, 21, 2016 8:12 PM

Mac and Linux/SteamOS versions have just been added to the TRON RUN/r store page.

Thanks to the SteamPlay cross-buy feature, if you already bought the Windows version of the game you get the Mac and Linux/SteamOS versions free.

FirstPrevious Page: of 2 Pages
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 New TRON game not cancelled! Called TRON RUN/r, available now on Steam!