Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 New TRON game not cancelled! Called TRON RUN/r, available now on Steam!

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Thursday, December, 03, 2015 11:03 PM

All of these TRON Escape "leaks" were apparently a marketing stunt. A preview of the game was on the 2015 Game Awards show.

Only now, it’s called TRON Run/r. I suspected as much when the IGN article had a “special advertising section” disclaimer attached to it.

It’s on Steam now!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/392000/

I guess this means we'll need a new section in the TRON-Sector forums . . .

I have some additional details about the game in my TRON Escape article. Like who is developing the game (Disney is publishing, of course), that there’s already DLC lined up, and the names of (all?) the achievements. One of the achievement names is a little mean spirited … possibly.

http://tronfaq.blogspot.com/2015/11/is-this-concept-art-from-cancelled-tron.html

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

TRON.dll
User

RE: New TRON game not cancelled! Called TRON RUN/r, available now on Steam!

on Friday, December, 04, 2015 12:30 AM
I'm starting to think that, while the leak was most likely intentional, us all assuming that the game was canceled was not the response Disney expected. I'm guessing that the decision to release it now as an Early Access title on Steam was a very last minute decision, especially considering that the game doesn't even have the option to quit.

As far as the gameplay goes, I think they have a good base to do a lot of neat stuff with. I look forward to seeing what they do with future levels. Unfortunately, there really isn't a lot there right now to keep me coming back to this build.

Graphically, it's very shiny and pretty. The gridbugs look very cool, too.

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

ShadowDragon1
User

on Friday, December, 04, 2015 3:42 AM
looks pretty cool so far.

I hope *A LOT* of people purchase this "early access" version of the game. *I speculate* the game itself *might* be a kind of "test" to gauge current general interest in the TRON IP....

"The film is about finding human connection in an increasingly digital world." - Joseph Kosinski

CardioFunk
User

on Friday, December, 04, 2015 1:47 PM
ShadowDragon1 Wrote:looks pretty cool so far.

I hope *A LOT* of people purchase this "early access" version of the game. *I speculate* the game itself *might* be a kind of "test" to gauge current general interest in the TRON IP....
Yeah. Sort of how Legacy had that test film to gauge demand. I just can't afford to throw money at it right now. Haha.

I haven't seen any video, but the stills remind me of mobile games, of the Temple Run genre. Maybe closer to Subway surfer. Hopefully it plays hard ball with the art. The art of Tron is what gets me hooked. I want to feel immersed in that again. The only Runner game that's had me hooked so far is the original Bit Trip Runner.

Cyberwolven
User

on Friday, December, 04, 2015 3:52 PM
Well, well. They pulled a fast one. Now I won't trust articles when they say a game is canceled.

I'm really tempted to get the early release. I know there's not much going on yet since it's an early wip. Yeah, I'll just get it tonight/tommorow on my spare time and check it out.

I'm cold and calculating. Don't press my buttons.

Qix77
User

on Friday, December, 04, 2015 5:08 PM
Downloading from Steam now.

_Masquerade_
User

on Friday, December, 04, 2015 5:54 PM
My faith in the Users has been restored <3 After all this time, TRON has finally come back! Even as just a small Steam title, this is at least a sign that Disney hasn't totally shut TRON out! This game artistically looks fantastic, it evokes a lot of the color of the original TRON and 2.0 as opposed to the mainly blue and red of Legacy. Can't wait to grab this!

Also, one of the achievements says "TRON 3?"

WAAAAAAAAT

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Saturday, December, 05, 2015 12:40 AM

I did a video about TRON Run/r, which goes into the rumors and events leading up to the title's release, and a few details about the game itself that you probably won't find anywhere else.

TRON.dll Wrote:
I'm starting to think that, while the leak was most likely intentional, us all assuming that the game was canceled was not the response Disney expected. I'm guessing that the decision to release it now as an Early Access title on Steam was a very last minute decision, especially considering that the game doesn't even have the option to quit.

Mmm, no I don't believe events went quite that way. I think it was more of a case of the game was nearly cancelled by the executives at Disney, and the only way to save it was to put it on Steam early access. Why else put out an unfinished game? Then a scheme was hatched to use stealthy marketing tactics to help promote it, by "leaking" art and screenshots to hype up the fans.

TronRunr
User

on Sunday, December, 06, 2015 6:49 PM
Just to be clear, I'm not affiliated with the game or Disney.

I did a little digging, and found some stuff in the game for possible future characters. These include characters from the original movie (Flynn, Tron, Yori, Sark), Legacy (Quorra, Rinzler, Clu 2.0), and Uprising (Beck, Mara). There are also some named Guard, Heavy, and Scout. There is also a model for a female version of the main character in RUN/r.

The models mentioned above, with the exception of the female main character, don't appear to be rigged for use yet. (Meaning the models are made, but the way they move is not made.) There doesn't appear to be anything from Tron 2.0.

Traahn
User

on Sunday, December, 06, 2015 10:58 PM
ShadowDragon1 Wrote:

I hope not... as that logic would be pretty flawed, imo.  I think it would instead gauge something like the "current general interest in the particular type of TRON game they are making."  For if it is a runner/parkour type of game, or similar, I won't be that interested; and my decision to *not* purchase has no bearing on whether or not I'm interested in the TRON IP, in general.  I am a TRON fan, but I don't just accept anything and everything dubbed "TRON" as being worthwile for the IP I know and love.  I think many fans would feel this way.  Regardless, I think it's cool that a new game is coming out, and I hope it meets/exceeds my expectations.

EDIT: Just saw this message on Steam by someone named "Paullo".  So, I'm not that interested in this game

"It may be early days for TRON RUN/r (great name, by the way) but things are looking super slick already. You'll only get three tracks as of launch day, but the core mechanics of running, jumping, wall-running, sliding, gliding and disc-throwing feel fantastic right away."

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Monday, December, 07, 2015 5:15 AM
TronRunr Wrote:
I did a little digging, and found some stuff in the game for possible future characters. These include characters from the original movie (Flynn, Tron, Yori, Sark), Legacy (Quorra, Rinzler, Clu 2.0), and Uprising (Beck, Mara). There are also some named Guard, Heavy, and Scout. There is also a model for a female version of the main character in RUN/r.

The models mentioned above, with the exception of the female main character, don't appear to be rigged for use yet. (Meaning the models are made, but the way they move is not made.) There doesn't appear to be anything from Tron 2.0.

Indeed. There is also going to be a Multiplayer mode. And microtransactions. I went into my findings in these two posts:

http://ldso-tron.tumblr.com/post/134639617500/tron-runr-potential-spoilers-for-future-content#134639617500
http://ldso-tron.tumblr.com/post/134645995890/tron-runr-potential-spoilers-for-future-content#134645995890

But folks may not want to read them, as they spoil the surprise for more of what we're going to see in the future.

TronRunr
User

on Monday, December, 07, 2015 5:19 PM
It looks like this can be fairly easy to mod, at least for texture mods. (You can get rid of the .pak if you unpack everything and put it in the right folder. So, at least theoretically, you could pretty easily replace textures if you do it right. Loading from these folders instead of the .pak takes a LOT longer to load the game, though.)

Also, this is in the game as an animated sign (probably for a future level). Seems kind of strange that there's a date on it. Could it maybe be related to a new ARG? (The file for this sign is just a raw video you can find in the files, you don't need to dig in the .pak for it. However, there is a version of it in the .pak as well.) It seemed a little too easy to find.

(Putting as link instead of image in case it seems spoiler-y)
http://i.imgur.com/wh9jAsQ.png

Edit: Looks like some people on tumblr beat me to the punch at posting it.

TRON.dll
User

on Monday, December, 07, 2015 5:54 PM
Nah,  that's just my birthday. Disney must have a present in the works for me.

PSN - TRON-dll

ShadowSpark
User

on Monday, December, 07, 2015 7:56 PM
Gotta reset my computer to run 64-bit before I can play.

{A very big thanks to FlynnOne for the pic! And to Wulfeous for sharpening the details!*huggles both*}
{Because people always seem to guess wrong, I'm saying it here: I'm female!!! And my name is Spark!!!}

Tron Lives!

Please click here to help my family out.

Qix77
User

on Tuesday, December, 08, 2015 3:05 AM
TronFAQ Wrote:

I did a video about TRON Run/r, which goes into the rumors and events leading up to the title's release, and a few details about the game itself that you probably won't find anywhere else.

Was very curious when this showed up on my Steam notifications. For 10 bones, I got it. I really like the music and visuals and just popped in here to see what everyone else thought so far...

Hey, TronFAQ... I'm sorry I've been out of touch. You welcomed me to do some music for a mod a long long time ago but sadly I ended up dealing with a tragedy at the time and went dark since then. I don't know if I have you on facebook but if so, you'd notice most of my comments have been just random jokes (copy and pasted from crap I find online) or just personal conversations. I had a few tracks in the process of being made but the hard drive I have them on got the pins ripped from the SSD port. Long story. I haven't produced anything since. Still dealing with stuff so I'm sorry I never replied on here. I'm horrid like that when things go badly south.

TRON.dll
User

on Saturday, December, 12, 2015 3:59 AM
I did a review of Tron Run/r as part of a gaming news podcast/network that I've been running with a friend. I'll post it here when it goes up.

PSN - TRON-dll

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Monday, January, 04, 2016 6:39 PM

TRON.dll Wrote:
Nah,  that's just my birthday. Disney must have a present in the works for me.

Funny enough "Mission Day" in TRON RUN/r is my birthday was well.

Qix77 Wrote:
Hey, TronFAQ... I'm sorry I've been out of touch. You welcomed me to do some music for a mod a long long time ago but sadly I ended up dealing with a tragedy at the time and went dark since then. I don't know if I have you on facebook but if so, you'd notice most of my comments have been just random jokes (copy and pasted from crap I find online) or just personal conversations. I had a few tracks in the process of being made but the hard drive I have them on got the pins ripped from the SSD port. Long story. I haven't produced anything since. Still dealing with stuff so I'm sorry I never replied on here. I'm horrid like that when things go badly south.

No worries. Hope things are going better for you right now. User Error 3 continues to be worked on, so there's always the possibility of collaborating later if you still want to.

I have a couple of interesting things to share with you guys! First off, I created a Steam guide for TRON RUN/r that has troubleshooting advice. Including how to remedy the problem of the "OST_XXXX" placeholder text, until the issue is fixed.

TRON RUN/r Troubleshooting and Known Fixes

Second, while TRON RUN/r was not cancelled, there was another cancelled TRON game project. (Aside from TRON 3.0.) It reached the prototype stage, and was a TRON Legacy game that was dropped in favor of TRON Evolution.

http://tronfaq.blogspot.com/2016/01/tr2n-liberation-tron-legacy-game.html

TRON.dll
User

on Monday, January, 04, 2016 10:25 PM
Argh, I kept meaning to post here about TR2N Liberation when I heard about it over at Unseen 64's Facebook group, but it kept slipping my mind. I thought it looked like an interesting concept, though we kind of got that in the form of Tron Evolution Battle Grid's lightcycle race mode.

TronFAQ, have you had any performance issues on the second Disc level of Tron Run/r? The game runs fine for me until about the end of the first wall run and then it grinds to an unplayable chug that the game doesn't seem to know how to handle, so my character clips down below the killplane or gets stuck in the air, all at a glorious 3 frames per second, haha.

PSN - TRON-dll

MCPcomputer
User

on Wednesday, January, 06, 2016 2:55 AM

Oh wow now that is awesome! I love Tron video games! In fact gonna play some Tron Battle Grids Wii tonight !

"I want him in the games until he dies playing" -MCP
The Grid a Physical Frontier funny Tron Videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaMViP_QtZ8

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Thursday, January, 07, 2016 4:24 PM

TRON.dll Wrote:
TronFAQ, have you had any performance issues on the second Disc level of Tron Run/r? The game runs fine for me until about the end of the first wall run and then it grinds to an unplayable chug that the game doesn't seem to know how to handle, so my character clips down below the killplane or gets stuck in the air, all at a glorious 3 frames per second, haha.

Some have suggested that lowering the graphics setting from the maximum (Epic) to a lower setting helps. Others have said that it does nothing.

Either way, it seems to be a flaw with the map/level itself and will need to be fixed. I hope Disney and Sanzaru have been reading the feedback and are aware of this.

Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion