What's your take on the Film News?

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 8 PagesNextLast
Prankster bit
User

Re: What's your take on the Film News?

on Saturday, January, 15, 2005 8:19 AM
Traahn Wrote:

I loved the old Doom game. I wish they never would've remade it.

don't say that. first, it's not a remake, it's a "retelling" [means there's an actual storyline], and second, I [and millions of others on the world] prefer Doom as a survival horror, i will grant the fact that it's not quite as scary as i anticipated but i find it a lot better than the original, in terms of suspense and story. and if i want to shoot hordes of monsters, then i can play serious sam.where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

words of wisdom from...

PranKsTeR BiT V2.0

Traahn
User

on Saturday, January, 15, 2005 1:43 PM

It is a remake, in some respects. And a "retelling" isn't that far off a 'remake,' imo. Besides, with the twist they're going to put in the Tron remake plot (of somehow incorporating the internet, which was apparently not in the original movie (hehe)), could we not consider the Tron remake a "retelling"?

The main point of the Doom is (still) to shoot a bunch of creepy characters. Also, I just did quick searches and found these...

Q. Is Doom 3 just a remake of the original Doom?

A. Yes, in the simplest terms Doom 3 is basically a remake of the original Doom game, with virtually the same story line.

(Source: http://compactiongames.about.com/od/firstpersongamesbytitle/f/doom3_faq3.htm)

This highly-anticipated remake of the game that put fragging on the map

(Source: http://gr.bolt.com/games/pc/action/doom_3.htm)

DOOM 3 is a "retelling" of the original DOOM, in which you play a lone unnamed space marine on Mars single-handedly fighting off the forces of Hell.

(Source: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/doom-3/536705p1.html)

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

KiaPurity
User

on Saturday, January, 15, 2005 2:13 PM
...Actually, a form of it was.

Flynn has a modem on top of his Apple III. The kind of modem where you put the phone handle or something on top of it.

Good ol' Arpanet.where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

Compucore
User

on Saturday, January, 15, 2005 2:35 PM
OMG. You mean one ofthose coupler modems where you have like a lil cup for the ear rest and where you speak into . I think they used to call those acousitc couple modems I thik. I could be getting the definition wrong on that. Davetron do you remember the exact name of those kinds of modems. Where th handst that you would usually use woould sit on top of this modem?. I remember seeing a lot of those around in the early 80's there and part of the 90's. Just before they made plug in modems that just needed the jack for them. Both externally and internally.

KiaPurity Wrote:...Actually, a form of it was.

Flynn has a modem on top of his Apple III. The kind of modem where you put the phone handle or something on top of it.

Good ol' Arpanet.
where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Prankster bit
User

on Saturday, January, 15, 2005 4:14 PM
Traahn Wrote:

It is a remake, in some respects. And a "retelling" isn't that far off a 'remake,' imo. Besides, with the twist they're going to put in the Tron remake plot (of somehow incorporating the internet, which was apparently not in the original movie (hehe)), could we not consider the Tron remake a "retelling"?

The main point of the Doom is (still) to shoot a bunch of creepy characters. Also, I just did quick searches and found these...

Q. Is Doom 3 just a remake of the original Doom?

A. Yes, in the simplest terms Doom 3 is basically a remake of the original Doom game, with virtually the same story line.

(Source: http://compactiongames.about.com/od/firstpersongamesbytitle/f/doom3_faq3.htm)

This highly-anticipated remake of the game that put fragging on the map

(Source: http://gr.bolt.com/games/pc/action/doom_3.htm)

DOOM 3 is a "retelling" of the original DOOM, in which you play a lone unnamed space marine on Mars single-handedly fighting off the forces of Hell.

(Source: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/doom-3/536705p1.html)

ok, fair enough, but in the old doom the story wasn't really very noticable, and all the characters were trying to eat the player's face, or something similar. in the new one, there are less of them, and they are placed in places that deliberately cause fear. it's more of a re-genre-ing. how would you feel if this new trom film was a romantic comedy?

I just like to relish in the fact that there is a notciable storyline. [that is also right up my street .

as for the tron remake [or retelling?] i still think they should either keep the same story [and lisberger], or make a sequel. I don't see any reason for the remake myself, apart from snazzy up-to-date CGI [which i grudgingly have to say, i would actually quite like to see].

words of wisdom from...

PranKsTeR BiT V2.0

Traahn
User

on Saturday, January, 15, 2005 5:52 PM
Traahn Wrotef somehow incorporating the internet, which was apparently not in the original movie (hehe)),
KiaPurity Wrote:...Actually, a form of it was.
Oops, I know I was being a little sarcastic. Something in the Variety.com article mentioned they would be integrating the internet into the remake, as if they hadn't really done it in the original. Hehe.

Prankster Bit Wrote:apart from snazzy up-to-date CGI [which i grudgingly have to say, i would actually quite like to see].
Impressive! MOST impressive!! You're getting closer. Join the dark side with me, m'friend! Soon we shall reveal ourselves to the Jedi.

KiaPurity
User

on Saturday, January, 15, 2005 6:23 PM
...revealing... in what way?

I always wondered what they meant by revealing in TPM. (I know it's supposed to mean that they'll just say "We're back!" but somehow, I took it the wrong way. Didn't help that there was a paradory(sp?) comic about that line.)

But anyway... I'd expect there to be more news about this supposed remake sometime. I have a feeling that Dave might be right about it fizzling. (How many other movies have fizzled?)

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

Traahn
User

on Saturday, January, 15, 2005 8:54 PM
KiaPurity Wrote:...revealing... in what way? I always wondered what they meant by revealing in TPM. (I know it's supposed to mean that they'll just say "We're back!" but somehow, I took it the wrong way. Didn't help that there was a paradory(sp?) comic about that line.)
Ha! Regarding The Phantom Menace, I think the Sith were believed by the Jedi to have been gone for a long, long time; if not extinct. So by creating/having Darth Maul, the dark side was waiting for the right time to once again let themselves be known to the Jedi. The line refers to the Sith getting to ready to reveal themselves to the Jedi. I could be wrong though. I have two friends that are much better at Star Wars trivia so if I remember I'll ask them.

foilism
User

on Monday, January, 17, 2005 7:53 AM
Ouch. I've only been a lurker here the last couple months, and noticed a rumour of a remake, ignored it. But this morning I was on www.3dtotal.com, my second fav website and a news item read,
"Coming Soon reports that Walt Disney is preparing a remake for 1982's TRON."
Whenever I see the name TRON, I get a shudder, and I shuddered so hard this morning I nearlly fell off my chair....

But I've caught up on all the lengthy posts here and everyone's beleifs of what TRON eans to them and it sort of force fed me my opinion on the matter: The extent of all your reuke to Disney say to me that no-one can touch TRON, even if a re-make is made. What I mean to say it, I've just read most of my good friends here pour out their TRON loving hearts in disbeleif and it obviously hurts to think of Somone with their hands on it, but TRON as an idea is too important in this domain think of altered -- so it won't.

I'm gonna stand by the majority vote and Yell.....

"Disney, get your hands of Steven Lisberger's Baby and our imagination, find your own profit!!!!"

thegirluntitled
User

on Tuesday, January, 18, 2005 1:13 PM
The film could have done a lot better financially speaking and drawn in a much greater crowd if Lisberger was a better storyteller. From the posts, I see that all of you have forgotten or do not understand that the involvement of a few others was absolutely essential in the making of this film. The dreamers behind "Tron" included the producer, Donald Kushner, in particular. Together they set off for the West Coast and between these two an idea was born. Lisberger wrote the script, but is not solely responsible for the innovational ideas and concepts that eventually produced Tron. If anything, while the film is a kind of shot at the future of technology, the characters are not well-developed in many ways and I think this effected the box office sales. Every post I read is written by someone who does not actually know the story behind the story, the tron behind Tron. I am strongly against how Disney is going about the (potential) remaking of this film, but it is not solely because Lisberger is being excluded, but also because Donald Kushner has not been brought in. Tron was the creation of a few interesting, dreaming individuals.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

thegirluntitled
User

on Tuesday, January, 18, 2005 1:19 PM
I think we should get together and set up a "FRIENDSTER.COM" profile for Tron!! Is anyone interested in that idea? Does anyone know of / use Friendster? Please let me know!abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

DaveTRON
User

on Tuesday, January, 18, 2005 1:26 PM
You are not wrong, but you are awfully one sided in your view as well.

I think what you are misreading here is our desire to see Steven and crew carry on with the story of TRON and not a bunch of newbies who don't give a crap about TRON.

Donald was involved for sure. He's one of the few people from TRON I haven't met yet. I assume you know him in some way judging from your name, related?

I can tell you this. I know Steven, Richard Taylor, Harrison Ellenshaw, Syd Mead and a few others from TRON. I know it was a combination of a lot of people to make this film.

I also happen to have access to a lot of documentation on the creative process for the film and one of the names conspicuously absent from that documentation is Donald Kushner.

I have copies of memos, scripts, drawings and other items, and I see Steven, Richard and Harrison all over them along with a lot of the rest of the creative team on the film, but I have yet to come across a single instance of a creative note from Donald.

I am not saying this to detract from his contributions, because I am sure they were substatial in other areas, but the creative end of TRON appears to have been the people noted above.

I am sure he must have had some creative input, but from everything that Steven, Syd, Harrison and Richard have allowed me access to, he doesn't show up on the creative side very often.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

DaveTRON

Kamui
User

on Tuesday, January, 18, 2005 1:27 PM
thegirluntitled Wrote:I think we should get together and set up a "FRIENDSTER.COM" profile for Tron!! Is anyone interested in that idea? Does anyone know of / use Friendster? Please let me know!

Interesting thought. Maybe you'd like to start a topic on this in General Discusion or something?

Just my two bits.

~Kamui.EXEabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

===========================
What should I put here today?
http://mediamaniacgeek.blogspot.com/
TALES OF A MEDIA GEEK

DaveTRON
User

on Tuesday, January, 18, 2005 1:34 PM
Gee, let's start a topic to discuss TRON away from the fan site! What a good idea!

Do we need one more place to monitor away from here?abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

DaveTRON

Kamui
User

on Tuesday, January, 18, 2005 2:40 PM
*Shrugs* They can monitor it themselves. If someone pulls something aweful off well..... *Cracks knuckles* they won't be doing it for very long.

~Kamui.EXE

===========================
What should I put here today?
http://mediamaniacgeek.blogspot.com/
TALES OF A MEDIA GEEK

TriggerEXE
User

on Tuesday, January, 18, 2005 9:05 PM
Hi there! Remember me? ^_^ I went away for a while...but now I'm back.

I came back to find out about this so I had to get the scoop. So...Stephen isn't being directly involved, but then he hasn't been told this and doesn't really know either... Hmmm.... it sounds to me like Disney has something going on with these writers. Either that or they just didn't like Stephen. Tron was, and always will be his baby. He just had to take it to Disney to get it made. BUT, anyone who has ever worked for Disney knows that if you EVER have any ideas or thoughts of your own, they are immediatly made the sole property of Disney. I'm not kidding. So they can pretty much do whatever they want with it. I'm sure Stephen may have some say in it, given that Tron was made over 20 years ago and contracts were different then, so I wouldn't worry...TOO much.

Sadly, we the fans can do little to quash their efforts. You all agree that most people, when asked about Tron, have no idea or think it was dumb. This sounds like Disney's attempt to revamp it for today's audiences in order to sell the games and other merch they have planned. Yes, they sunk a lot of money into developing the games, and what is the use when a lot of people dunno what Tron is? I'm fairly certain that they will keep the storyline intact enough to go along with the games. They wouldn't want to screw that up. In fact, they will probably use a lot of the CG work used in making the games to develop the effects in this movie. Whatever will help tie them together. Methinks they are trying to make a bigger, stronger, faster Tron. They may just keep the timeline the same. Who knows? No one does because the writers haven't really started yet and nothing is too well known. It could be fun. It could be a horrible train wreck. It could be Tron on Ice. The point is, Disney will make it if they decide to and however they think will be most profitable. Yes, they will think of us fans, but they will also think of how they can turn on a new generation to it.

A word on remakes. They seem to be coming out of the woodwork don't they? But lately they seem to be doing well enough. If you take them at face value and try not to compare them to their originals too much. Hollywood is trying to have the remake stand on it's own, without leaning on the original for help. Take Battlestar Galactica! Yep, I said it! They took it and changed it aaaalllll around. But guess what? Its neeeeeat. Compare it to oooh, say Wing Commander the movie. Pretty much puts that movie to shame doesn't it? I have yet to see the new Willy Wonka, but I have seen the trailer. All I can say is, freaky. But hey, my point is, this sort of remake could be just what TRON needs. I would much rather see a sequal written by Steven myself, or even see the remake still overseen by him, but I know that Disney wouldn't allow it. For whatever reason they have. The alternative is to have Tron fade away forever into the background like it did after it came out in the 80s..... This seems like it might be Tron's last chance for a while. Maybe we should at least wait and see before we get out our pitchforks and identity disks. WOOSH!where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

"The dark can embrace the light, but never eclipse it."

Compucore
User

on Tuesday, January, 18, 2005 9:11 PM
Davetron I still have a messag board linked to my web site. They can use that if they wanted to for these kind of discussions. I never really used it myself. I was hoping when I was taking clesses there a while back that my fellow students at the time would take the benefit of using it. But they didn't If you want I can provide the link directly to it. Or have them just to my web site and I think the link is called my message board on the left hand side of the page. I can monitor it from my end over here. And do some deleting there as well directly with it.

DaveTRON Wrote:Gee, let's start a topic to discuss TRON away from the fan site! What a good idea!

Do we need one more place to monitor away from here?

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

DaveTRON
User

on Tuesday, January, 18, 2005 11:41 PM
Karl,

Did you miss the sarcasm dripping off that message?

The last thing I think we need is one more place to discuss TRON. The whole point of this site is to discuss it here at TS, not elsewhere.

As an Admin on this site, the last thing I plan to encourage is an exodus to other sites.

DaveTRON

Compucore
User

on Wednesday, January, 19, 2005 6:59 AM
Yeah I think I did when I fell And slipped over there. In that puddle of water over there. Pointing to it near the door way. Anways. Thats no poblem.

DaveTRON Wrote:Karl,

Did you miss the sarcasm dripping off that message?

The last thing I think we need is one more place to discuss TRON. The whole point of this site is to discuss it here at TS, not elsewhere.

As an Admin on this site, the last thing I plan to encourage is an exodus to other sites.
abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

Traahn
User

on Thursday, January, 20, 2005 11:25 PM
Yeah, I'd like to keep the discussion here. No point in having yet another area to talk about Tron.

FirstPrevious Page: of 8 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 What's your take on the Film News?