What's your take on the Film News?

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 8 PagesNextLast
KiaPurity
User

Re: What's your take on the Film News?

on Friday, January, 21, 2005 12:25 AM
Agreed.

It'd be hard to keep track of too many sites as it is.

Besides, I love Tron-Sector too much to go anywhere else!

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

Traahn
User

on Friday, January, 21, 2005 12:56 AM
Yep!order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

gl
User

on Sunday, January, 23, 2005 5:52 PM
Todd, right there with you man.

Seriously, a TRON remake could be interesting, but chances are it will have nothing to do with the spirit of the original film - and I'm not talking about the 'facts' (guy gets zapped into a computer etc), but the feel and substance behind the story.

It's pretty clear to me that Disney thinks that that part of it is precisely what didn't sell, and it'll be the first thing in the bin when they consider how to make a financially sucessfull remake. If Lisberger is being cut out of the process, this is why.

For the record, I didn't like TRON2.0 as a sequel either - to me it has absolutely nothing to do with the original TRON at all. It's a fun game in its own right, well executed and looks pretty - but it has none of the spirit of the original. It's just mindless (and often pretty coarse) entertainment.

Let's face it - the things that many of us love about TRON most people just don't feel. That's why I'm pretty sure those that care will have to be content with the 1.0 universe...

On the upside, I agree with Trahn that nothing can damage the original film. To me it's a timeless, beautiful work of art, flaws'n'all. Most people already don't like it - a good or bad remake won't make any difference. If it's good, people will say 'just look at how much the old movie sucked'. If it's bad, it'll be 'no wonder, the original movie sucked too'.

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Sunday, January, 23, 2005 6:41 PM
gl Wrote:For the record, I didn't like TRON2.0 as a sequel either...

I didn't either. I LOVED the game and played it with a HUGE grin on my face the whole time, but I didn't care for the story line of it for several reasons. No need to get in to that though. But at least they tried to build off of what is TRON instead of trying to rewrite what TRON is.

gl Wrote:On the upside, I agree with Trahn that nothing can damage the original film. To me it's a timeless, beautiful work of art, flaws'n'all. Most people already don't like it - a good or bad remake won't make any difference...

I think a remake could detract from TRON in the sense that what we know and love as TRON will be replaced with whatever they turn it in to. The TRON we love won't go away, but it will never be in the spot light again while new "TRON" this and that are marketed. If a new remade "TRON" were to do well, then the new "TRON" would be built off of in terms of games, sequels, merchandise, etc. Our TRON will be just kind of there for us - dead to anything new and dead to Disney. Of course, Disney will no doubt screw up any new "TRON" and make it not TRON. The question is will their new "TRON" win over movie audiences? If so, then like I said - everything TRON that we love is truly dead while new "TRON" becomes what it becomes - the replacement.

Recently I watched the original film trailer for TRON again. I even showed it to a guy at work who was born the year TRON came out. The trailer itself falls short of a great marketing tool. But when you watch it, you can really get a feel for what TRON is and why TRON isn't just the whole digitizing ride inside the computer, but really that whole time period (1982) and the story on top of that. TRON is many things really, but its roots are really 1982. Everything that makes TRON really cool is because of that time period when computers were kind of new and undiscovered for many.

I shudder to think of what they'd try to do to make a new "TRON" set against the whole thing starting in today's age of computing. I can almost see the kind of crap they'd probably do in my head.

I really think TRON can have a sequel if it's done right. TRON 2.0 isn't exactly good sequel material, though it made for a fun game. A sequel that builds off the original origins of TRON could be great because they could take TRON in so many cool directions if they build upon an already established event (the original film) in their time line. It could even be powerful enough to draw in new audiences who had never seen the original.

I understand that TRON fans (of the REAL TRON) are scarce. I understand that most people think that TRON is a waste of a film. I also understand that these people, in general, do not care for films of this genre.

Oh well. They're going to do what they're going to do. The likelihood of me actually paying money to see a TRON remake is very low. The likelihood of me investing two hours of my life (even for free) in such a thing is low. In the realm of "anything is possible" - there is a chance that a TRON remake could be good, and even better than the original. There is also a chance that I'll win the lottery next week.

Whether they're any good or not is another thing, but so many films can be remade because they're not dependent on time or a certain generation. TRON is not one of those films. Update it and try to retell it in today's society and it becomes NOT TRON. That's my opinion of it anyway.

I'd rather see the TRON we know and love slip in to obscurity (if it hasn't already) without some new "TRON" remake. Better yet, I'd like to see Mr. Lisberger offered a chance to do a TRON sequel, but that seems unlikely now
where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

gl
User

on Sunday, January, 23, 2005 7:52 PM
But at least they tried to build off of what is TRON instead of trying to rewrite what TRON is.
Right.

Our TRON will be just kind of there for us - dead to anything new and dead to Disney.
That is a possibilty, yeah. There is one thing that could revive it, but I don't know if it'll happen.

But when you watch it, you can really get a feel for what TRON is and why TRON isn't just the whole digitizing ride inside the computer, but really that whole time period (1982) and the story on top of that. TRON is many things really, but its roots are really 1982. Everything that makes TRON really cool is because of that time period when computers were kind of new and undiscovered for many.
Totally agree, just thinking about the trailer gives me chills : ). That's why I think there's absolutely 0 chance that any of that would carry over into a modern day remake. If it were a sequel instead, then Disney could celebrate what the first film was about, and continue some of its spirit. But I don't think they have celebration in mind.

I shudder to think of what they'd try to do to make a new "TRON" set against the whole thing starting in today's age of computing. I can almost see the kind of crap they'd probably do in my head.
Smile.

A sequel that builds off the original origins of TRON could be great because they could take TRON in so many cool directions if they build upon an already established event (the original film) in their time line. It could even be powerful enough to draw in new audiences who had never seen the original.
I agree totally - I think even now it is possible to pull that off, but it would require a strong vision and idealism, plus finding something new to talk about that is as powerful and relevant. I doubt if anyone would back something like this these days though.

In the realm of "anything is possible" - there is a chance that a TRON remake could be good, and even better than the original. There is also a chance that I'll win the lottery next week.
Lol, that's the spirit. I'd go and see if for sure, but I won't expect to love it.

I'd rather see the TRON we know and love slip in to obscurity (if it hasn't already) without some new "TRON" remake. Better yet, I'd like to see Mr. Lisberger offered a chance to do a TRON sequel, but that seems unlikely now
What I found intriguing is that Steven was quoted a while back (somewhere, I forget) as contemplating letting the 'guys in the garage' do the effects. When I read it, I thought 'great - except nobody will back that idea in a million years'. But the point is you could of course produce a very cheap sequel, kinda like an indie film, if you stuck to the original look. I guess there's no way in hell Disney would ever let Steven finance his own movie based on TRON - but that would be something, wouldn't it? Art-house TRON sequel, produced for peanuts, happy finding its niche and recovering costs...

(Update): Actually as I was reading this back, it struck me that the original movie did have an art-house feel to it in parts - the grainy black-and-white, the (usually menacing) lingering facial closeups etc. What sunk the movie in many ways is that it couldn't quite decide whether to be simple US entertainment (Disney), or a more complex emotional sub-text driven movie disguised as entertainment : ). I always thought there was scope to do so much more with the characters...

DaveTRON
User

on Sunday, January, 23, 2005 8:23 PM
The film was started as an independant fillm and only went to studios when the 1980 Olympics were boycotted and Animalympics didn't get it's true day in the sun.

Wonder what it would have been without the Disney influences? Having seen some of the Stuff in Steven's colelction from the pre-Disney days, it would have been interesting. I for one like the version of BIT from those days. He was a ball with a face and he could speak.

It would be sort of cool to find a way to go and do that version now as well.

DaveTRON

gl
User

on Sunday, January, 23, 2005 8:47 PM
DaveTRON Wrote:The film was started as an independant fillm and only went to studios when the 1980 Olympics were boycotted and Animalympics didn't get it's true day in the sun.

Right, and I think the marriage between that and Disney was at times a little arkward. Disney didn't really get what they wanted, and probably neither did Steven & co exactly.

(Incidentally, I really don't care for Animalympics.)

Wonder what it would have been without the Disney influences? Having seen some of the Stuff in Steven's colelction from the pre-Disney days, it would have been interesting.

What's Steven's take on all this anyway Dave (I don't just mean the recent news, but the sequel in general)? He's probably gagged, but it would be real nice to get a feel for what's in his mind at least. Is he still fired up about doing a sequel (given the chance), and is he sure which direction he would take it in?
abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Traahn
User

on Sunday, January, 23, 2005 10:07 PM
The likelihood of me actually paying money to see a TRON remake is very low. The likelihood of me investing two hours of my life (even for free) in such a thing is low.
I'll believe this when I see it I bet you'll see it. Just wait for all the cool trailers and materials being put out. You'll be all over it... mark my words

I for one like the version of BIT from those days. He was a ball with a face and he could speak.
The concept drawings of the BIT with a face are kind've weird for me to see. I'm actually glad they made him a faceless, abstract form; although had he been done with a face I'm sure I would've been cool with it. I just like that he's more like a cursor... a blip in the computer world.
order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Compucore
User

on Sunday, January, 23, 2005 10:16 PM
I think we can all concur here that it would be preferable to see a new sequel with Steven at the helm for the movie. am I right on this at least folks.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

DaveTRON
User

on Monday, January, 24, 2005 1:26 AM
GL,

Having sat over many a lunch with Steven talking TRON and watching him sketch out story ideas on tabletops, I have seen the directions it could go. There is one story in particular that he was very fired up about that we refer to as the MCP story. It brought the MCP back in a big way.

I'd love to see that film made. If you are ever here in Burbank I will let you read it and see what you think. Before anyone asks, I can't post it. If you want to know it, you gotta come here and read it.

It's great, and Disney is oblivious if they don't see that.

DaveTRON

DaveTRON
User

on Monday, January, 24, 2005 1:28 AM
Traahn,

I think all of us would be curious about it, but I do think some of us would boycott a remake. Might collect materials as a sidebar of my TRON collection since it is an offshoot of sorts, but I would probably not pay to see a remake of the movie.

I know I sound wishy washy compared to my BSG raves recently, but I feel very strongly about TRON needing a sequel and not a remake.abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

DaveTRON

Traahn
User

on Monday, January, 24, 2005 1:28 AM
I think we can all concur here that it would be preferable to see a new sequel with Steven at the helm for the movie. am I right on this at least folks.
I concur

I would probably not pay to see a remake of the movie.
You guys are harsh! It's !!
EDIT: Okay, maybe not Tron in that it's not the original... and Disney may blow it. But still... Tron.
Tron.
Tron.
Confirm Alan-1?

DaveTRON
User

on Monday, January, 24, 2005 1:30 AM
All,

One thing I have suggested numerous times at BVG before I departed was that to make TRON cool again for a larger group we needed to do something to attract the younger folks.

I had suggested making a series of online cartoons of TRON that tied back into the original story and could eventually lead to a sequel and or additional games.

Sort of a comic-serial approach. What do you all think of that idea?order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

DaveTRON

DaveTRON
User

on Monday, January, 24, 2005 1:33 AM
I keep thinking of things to add here.

When I met Steven he was not all that jazzed about TRON, and over the past couple of years he had really rebounded on the subject.

He was on fire about a sequel up to the point of the MCP story being ignored last year.

I think he's still very into the idea of continuing the voyage and perhaps creating a series of films, but the problem is Disney. They don't see him as the lead on this and I don't think he'll get the chance from them.

I personally think he should create another digital world and play there. What do you think of that?abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

DaveTRON

Traahn
User

on Monday, January, 24, 2005 1:46 AM
DaveTRON Wrote:All,
I had suggested making a series of online cartoons of TRON that tied back into the original story and could eventually lead to a sequel and or additional games.
Sort of a comic-serial approach. What do you all think of that idea?
Sounds like a good idea to me. An influx of support from the younger generation would be cool. But being a bit older than when I first saw it... (okay, a lot)... I appreciate Tron most in it's serious, dark moments. Even when I saw it as a kid, I think I mainly tuned into the serious parts. As such, I'll always long for a serious sequel without a focus on pre-teens and teens. I wouldn't want Tron all the sudden being marketed solely/primarily to kids. I understand the desire to keep the Tron alive for generations to come, and I hope that happens. But without a Tron remake or sequel to update the original film, I think this would be difficult; probably impossible.

Traahn
User

on Monday, January, 24, 2005 2:01 AM
DaveTRON Wrote:
I think he's still very into the idea of continuing the voyage and perhaps creating a series of films, but the problem is Disney. They don't see him as the lead on this and I don't think he'll get the chance from them. I personally think he should create another digital world and play there. What do you think of that?
First off, I'm VERY glad that he's had some recent renewed interest in . I hope he does something with that spark, that fire, to help keep Tron alive. Granted, he is prevented in many (all?) respects by Disney; but having that spark is a great thing. (I wish business could only keep creative propertly like that for a limited length of time. For him to have written and created that world, that film, and to never be able to do anything with it again is absolutely rediculous. I understand the business logistics of it, so it makes sense. But it's just very... VERY... sad.)

My main question is: what does Disney have the legal rights over when it comes to Tron? The character names? The blue/red circuitry glows? The environments? I'm really curious where the line gets drawn with respect to their legal rights over the movie; and where our (or Steven's) rights begin.

If Steven were allowed to re-create beautiful Tron-like environments like before, complete with the familiar circuitry glows, environments and stuff, with the only changes being to character names and storyline (for copyright reasons) -- then I say he should go for it! All the better if he were able to take some of the sounds from the original movie and use them; or tweak them slightly, if copyright legalities prevented him from using the sounds. Hmm, also if he can't use "Master Control Program," maybe he could use "Master Control Processor " without copyright infringement? And "Traahn" instead of Tron; Yuri instead of Yori; Rom instead of Ram; etc. Hmm, might be onto something. This might be a way to refer to the old characters (if only verbally) in his sequel, without infringing.
abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

Compucore
User

on Monday, January, 24, 2005 7:58 AM
Davetron maybe he should create some imdependant films based on tron but not exactly the same as tron itself. so that he and the fans like us can enjoy his works that he has started 20 years ago with the mopvie tron. Thats just my 2 cents on the idea. It would be nice to see another sequel to the original. But with all the red tape that Steve is jumping through on this and what we have heard so far as in vaporware for the remake on it. Its plain frustrating I think for all of us including Steve himself.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

gl
User

on Monday, January, 24, 2005 9:07 AM
DaveTRON Wrote:GL,

Having sat over many a lunch with Steven talking TRON and watching him sketch out story ideas on tabletops, I have seen the directions it could go. There is one story in particular that he was very fired up about that we refer to as the MCP story. It brought the MCP back in a big way.

Oh excellent. The MCP needs a makeover : ).

I'd love to see that film made. If you are ever here in Burbank I will let you read it and see what you think.

I'd love to, but I'm stuck in the (not so sunny) UK. One day perhaps.abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Monday, January, 24, 2005 5:55 PM
http://www.tron-sector.com/forums/default.aspx?do=top&id=304810&post=305815#305815

gl Wrote:What I found intriguing is that Steven was quoted a while back (somewhere, I forget) as contemplating letting the 'guys in the garage' do the effects. When I read it, I thought 'great - except nobody will back that idea in a million years'. But the point is you could of course produce a very cheap sequel...

This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that could be done, and could be done so very effectively! I myself, have been contemplating producing a TRON short of sorts on my own for a couple of years now... that's a whole other topic really, but I already have the tools to do so (in terms of visual FX and image compositing) right on my own PC. Slick 3D animators who really know their stuff are generally easy to find. Many of them are already TRON fans too, so I would imagine that getting them to work on a low budget would not be difficult. They'd probably JUMP at the opportunity. I know I would (I'm not a 3D CGI guy, but I am a knowledgeable composite artist).

Even going for the "guys in the garage" approach, a TRON sequel would not be constrained to the original film's graphic capabilities. I'd personally like to see a sequel that did indeed retain the original look of it, of course with the proper "growth" from 1982 to now added in, but not a drastic redesigning of everything. Again - build upon what's been established and go from there - do NOT redesign everything from scratch.

I think what's really in the way of Mr. Lisberger producing a TRON sequel is one thing, and one thing only. It's DISNEY! Disney unfortunately OWNS TRON, and will do with it whatever it likes, regardless of any other factor. I have no doubt that Mr. Lisberger could figure out a way to come up with the proper funds to produce a worthy TRON sequel on a low budget AND still have it look great and theater-worthy. Whether or not it does well when released depends on many factors - mainly how well it gets promoted (which can be VERY hard to do with a limited budget). But who says it HAS to be the next huge blockbuster? Why can't it just be a great film that people dig? So long as it turns a profit, it's all good - to me, anyway. Sure, higher profits are always desirable, but I think it's best to get this done, and done right. I admit that I approach this from a TRON fan perspective and not a corporate, power-profit perspective. TRON fan or not, a TRON sequel COULD and WOULD turn a profit if it were to be produced on a low budget.

What am I talking about? There will be no sequel made by the original director on any budget. Disney owns TRON and will do whatever it feels it needs to in order to pimp TRON out and make a quick buck. The Disney remake if it will be stupid, and the merchandising will be bold. They'll turn a buck. Of that I have little doubt. They'll also turn me far away from it. But no big deal. There'll be plenty of people willing to give up their money for it regardless of its real TRON factor.

As for me, I'll gladly stick to my beloved TRON DVD. And perhaps one of these days, I'll get off my ass and back to my plan to produce a TRON short of sorts. The true spirit of the REAL TRON can always be brought back in small ways like this. No profit can come of a TRON fan production, but many smiles can be made.
order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Monday, January, 24, 2005 10:02 PM

A series of online comics is a really cool idea, DT. That would be a simple but effective way to get younger people to appreciate the story and make them want to see the film.

Another MCP story? Now that is cool. I was hoping the MCP would make an appearance in Tron 2.0. (Who knows, maybe he did? ) It's entirely possible for the MCP to come back in a new film, in my mind. Basically, as long as Steve is involved I know it will be good.

You could also call me a bit of a hypocrite, because I too like the new BSG but am against a Tron remake. But I see them as being separate issues. Why?

Let's face it, the original BSG was campy. Really campy. It reflected its era, very much. You could argue the same for Tron, and you're partially correct. Now that doesn't mean I don't like the old BSG . . . I do! But I could see that story being updated or remade. Tron on the other hand, doesn't really warrant an update. In fact, updating the film would destroy what made Tron what it was. A film about emerging computer technology, and where it was going.

Some people think Tron is too fluffy and light-hearted. Well I'd agree with them to an extent, but if you stop and think about it . . . there are some deeper hidden subtexts in the film. It's too easy to just write it off as 80's kitsch.

The computer era is here, all around us . . . so rather than move backward, let's move forward. Do a new film that reflects the current state of computers. Without replacing the original.

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

FirstPrevious Page: of 8 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 What's your take on the Film News?