Other Sectors 
 Yar's Revenge Challenge...

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
Qix77
User

on Thursday, March, 02, 2006 1:08 AM
I want to set up a challenge (and be honest) as to who holds the top score of "Yar's Revenge" on the sector.

I don't mean from your past. But as of today...

Need help playing?

Download Stella (or use your old Atari 2600 (VCS) ) and keep a log of your score. In betwixt stage completion, the game will show your score and pause till you hit your fire button.

I can not provide the ROM for Stella (something I once heard called Law)... but it's not hard to find.

I haven't played the game in a long time but I am getting better... Here is a small log of my progress as of tonight.

(144,371 = top as of 11:39 PM Central Time on March 1st, 2006)

It's far from good, but also far from bad... So I challenge you to a duel... beat me (and be honest about it)...

I will keep posting my scores...

Good luck programs... and welcome to the old game grid...

May your user be with you....

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

Re: Yar's Revenge Challenge...

on Thursday, March, 02, 2006 6:19 PM
Maybe I'll take you up on that, Qix77.

I've go Yars' Revenge on my Atari Flashback 2 - it ROCKS!

I'm not sure what my high score is, but I either kick-butt on the game, or suck big time. I think I get too impatient at times and just pick away at the enemy's shield, regardless of where that roaming touch-of-death dot is... and it's usually very close to me!

I'll have to remember to keep score next time and post it.

But, I've got no time tonight.

Perhaps over the weekend.

You practice in the meantime. Let's see who can get the most revenge for our little winged Yar friend!
where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

Qix77
User

on Thursday, March, 02, 2006 7:37 PM
Good deal, Todd...

I'll see how high I can get my score.

Yar's Revenge is my all time fav. 2600 game... It rocks so much...

and this time, I'll try to post screen shots of my scores..

MutoidMan
User

on Friday, March, 03, 2006 2:26 AM

Pink Shield

Game 6 - 1P Ultimate Yar's Challengeorder abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

"We are, after all, not God." - Cmdr. J. J. Adams
"C is for cookie. That's good enough for me." - Cookie Monster
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man." - Huey Lewis & the News

Most recent PC game collection update: 04/12/2012. Check it out!

MutoidMan
User

on Friday, March, 03, 2006 1:35 PM

Pink Shield

Game 6 - 1P Ultimate Yar's Challenge

"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man." - Huey Lewis & the News

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Friday, March, 03, 2006 7:39 PM
Oh MAN do I SUCK!

I can't break 100,000 points.

I've always loved Yars' Revenge - it's an awesome classic Atari game, but it's also one of those games I tired of quickly. Probably because of my lack of patients - I do tend to die more frequently than I should in the early rounds.

I played a several games earlier. I only got to the blue shield twice and I think my highest score was 80 thousand something.

BUT I will get better.

I may not beat MutoidMan's scores, but I WILL break 100,000 and then some!

Somehow the game is a lot more fun when I'm trying to get a score worthy of posting here.

Hey - when you guys say "Yars' Revenge", do you ever say it like a pirate? You know - Yaaaaarrrrrrs' Revennnnge? Like with a pirate aarrrrrrr, and then a slightly heavier accent on the 2nd syllable of "revenge".

Um... I'm normal... just curious.

Qix77
User

on Friday, March, 03, 2006 11:38 PM
Ok... I'm getting there...

But what the hell is this?

Cool, MM... I'm going to try and beat your score now...

I'll post a screen if I do...

Don't worry Todd.. I was to (after all these years)... It just takes some time getting back into the game...

MutoidMan
User

on Friday, March, 03, 2006 11:57 PM

Pink Shield

Game 6 - 1P Ultimate Yar's Challenge

MutoidMan
User

on Saturday, March, 04, 2006 12:00 AM
Qix77 Wrote:Ok... I'm getting there...

But what the hell is this?

Cool, MM... I'm going to try and beat your score now...

I'll post a screen if I do...

It's an Easter Egg. If you destroy the Swirl in mid-flight and position your Yar over the black vertical line left on the screen where the Swirl was destroyed then you see the programmer's initials.
order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

MutoidMan
User

on Saturday, March, 04, 2006 12:44 AM
Here's something for you all to work towards:

Have fun! abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

Qix77
User

on Saturday, March, 04, 2006 1:18 AM
Wow buddy... Thats great... I have my work cut out for me...

Thanks for the EasterEgg ordeal, I've ran across it so many times trying to ge a free guy.

Tell you what... If I can beat your score, then you buy me a pizza... lol... Kidding... But I am sooooo going to try this weekend (because I'm a neard and I broke up with my girlfriend)... what a shame I am... lol

but still... I'm going for it... :P lol

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Saturday, March, 04, 2006 8:20 AM
Man - just look at you guys go!

And an Easter egg in the game? I never knew that! I swear - I must have pulled off that stunt before too. I mean I've destroyed the enemy in mid flight several times... guess I must have not been on the same X-axis when I did it though. Neat find!

Ok, I finally broke through 100,000 points! I'm getting better, but still not up to where you guys are.

I played several games this morning, and first broke through the 100,000 mark with a score of 100,590... only to find out that I still had 1 guy left! . I guess that's what the "1" under my score meant! My final score wasn't much higher and the game ended with 102,384.

I played another game after that, but didn't reach the 100,000 mark.

One final game and I scored 103,489! Again, not quite up to you guys' mark, but I'm getting there. I'm altering my strategies and figuring out better ways to maximize score AND stay alive in the process. I'm also being a lot more patient with the roaming dash-of-death and just blasting away at the enemy shield when it's in the way. It really only gets in the way in the early levels when it's still slow. After it speeds up, it's more a matter of survive and conquer. Or something like that.

You know, I haven't played Yars' Revenge a whole lot since getting my Atari Flashback 2 - just a few games here and there. Now you guys got me hooked!

Qix77
User

on Saturday, March, 04, 2006 2:48 PM
Thats good Todd... I never was that good back in the day, but I started playing and was just getting better (but last night I wasn't doing to good).

I get to the blue shield before 60,000, and last night I got to the gray shield shortly after 120,000 (which is near impossible to dodge the swirling missle thingy). I guess it's how you play the game.

I'm learning that trying for a 1up all the time isn't always the best thing to do since the levels become harder more quickly. I'm going to try and play the game without getting free ships and see how I do... besides, I get way too greedy for 1ups and it really screws up my game.

I still haven't even came close to beating MM's score, but thats ok because I'm getting there... :Porder abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

Qix77
User

on Saturday, March, 04, 2006 3:40 PM
153,154 - Gray shield.... hmmmm... ok.. I'll try again...

BTW: I'm paying by the first option. As soon as the game is loaded, I start the game without ajusting the settings.

What I find really cool about this is how we are holding our own little tournament on a classic VCS game while the rest of the world is waiting for the next X-Box 360 release... lol...

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!!!!

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Saturday, March, 04, 2006 9:26 PM
Qix77 Wrote:...What I find really cool about this is how we are holding our own little tournament on a classic VCS game while the rest of the world is waiting for the next X-Box 360 release... lol...

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!!!!

X-Box 360?

What the hell is that?

Oh yeah - it's supposed to be the newest, hottest, blah, blah, blah, who-gives-a-crap game system out there.

I hear it doesn't have Yars' Revenge, so who cares?

Honestly, I'd rather be playing my old Atari classics than anything on the X-Box 360. I'm sure the games look slick and all, but I honestly have no desire to play them. None.

Something has driven me back to the old-school games we used to love and enjoy so many years ago... AND make fun of too (because the graphics sucked and they were never like the arcade version). Is it because today's games are all rehashed crap with shiny new graphics... that aren't all that much better? Is it because they all kind of start to look the same after a while? Is it because those old games, as basic as they were, have become more enjoyable than today's offerings? Is it because we're all just reliving our youth as we approach middle-age?

Who knows?

All of the above... none of the above?

All I know is those Atari classics seem incredibly fun to me right now. The latest "next" generation of gaming systems all seem very lack-luster and bland. What's so new about them? I don't get the hype.

I'd better stop before this thread morphs in to something else.

I haven't had a chance to play Yars' Revenge since this morning, but I can't WAIT to hit it again soon! I prefer to play it on my Flashback 2 as opposed to an emulator. It's much better that way for me.

Ok - here's a question. I have Stella v2.0.1. The audio is better on this version than the previous version I was using - it's closer to what the games sound like on an actual Atari. BUT the sounds are all delayed slightly. It really annoys me and I cannot correct it. The delay is probably only about 50 to 100 milliseconds, but it is noticeable and irritating. Delay or not, I do prefer playing the games on an actual Atari or Flashback, but I do wish I could correct the delay.

Any ideas?

Qix77
User

on Sunday, March, 05, 2006 3:12 AM
I'm not sure. I've been using Stella for over a year now and never ran into any audio problems (I have a slick SoundBlaster Auidgy 2 installed).

I'm currently running Stella 2.1 http://stella.sourceforge.net/ for windows. Perhaps getting the latest version might help. If not, I believe they may have a small FAQ on their site.

I have to agree, I'm having more fun playing the Atari classics now than I am anything else. I haven't bought a concel since the Sega Genesis and went strickly PC ever since. Now I'm running Stella with over 500 Atari game roms. Pretty cool. Brings back a lot of memories and really fun to play.
on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill onlineorder abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

Qix77
User

on Sunday, March, 05, 2006 6:24 AM
I screwed up but I'm getting the idea better.

So far my top score is 165,XXX on gray shield (I messed up and started a game before I got the last three digits).

The Gray shield levels are not really that hard but I tend to forget that the swril will follow you when it meets up with you vertically. I just let it chase me off the screen and then continue me attack. Not really hard but I tend to forget that it chases me.

I so love this game. It's one of the best 2600 games ever made. Since I'm trying to learn GameMaker6, I might try to make a PC version of this game as freeware (but knowing me I'll never get around to it). It shouldn't be too hard since I did use the tutorial and made my own pac-man like game (which sucked by the way).

Ok... I'm taking a break from the game for now. I know that I'll be dreaming about Yar ships and wing-shielded ships when I go to sleep.

Besides... If the Qotiles really were so smart, they'ed quit makeing their shields out of breakable pixels and start using iron for crying out loud.... but that's what they get for invading the Yar's world....

Damn Qotiles.... Serves them right... They better not show their ugly swriling thingys around southern Illinois anytime soon. I'll shoot em down with my old Daisy BB gun.

How would you pronounce "Qotiles" anyways?

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Sunday, March, 05, 2006 4:03 PM
Qix77 Wrote:I'm not sure. I've been using Stella for over a year now and never ran into any audio problems (I have a slick SoundBlaster Auidgy 2 installed).

I'm currently running Stella 2.1 http://stella.sourceforge.net/ for windows. Perhaps getting the latest version might help. If not, I believe they may have a small FAQ on their site.

Thanks, Qix77. I just installed Stella 2.1. But the audio delay is still there. It may just be because I have a crappy audio card... actually, my audio is embedded on my main board. Oh well.

I played a few games this morning, but couldn't even break 100,000 again. Bummer.

I need to find some time where I can play several games without interruption AND before it gets too late in the day. My reflexes are better earlier in the day.

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Sunday, March, 05, 2006 4:05 PM
Qix77 Wrote:...How would you pronounce "Qotiles" anyways?

I think it's like KO-TILES.

Like the "Q" in Qix is also pronounced like a "K" sound.

Qix77
User

on Monday, March, 06, 2006 9:19 AM
TheReelTodd Wrote:I played a few games this morning, but couldn't even break 100,000 again. Bummer.

I need to find some time where I can play several games without interruption AND before it gets too late in the day. My reflexes are better earlier in the day.

Finding the right time is rather hard to do these days. I know how that goes. I'm inching my score forward. (I just wished I had an Atari VCS joystick).

I've not gotten near to my last score yet. I'll have to try again tonight.

TheReelTodd Wrote:

I think it's like KO-TILES.

Like the "Q" in Qix is also pronounced like a "K" sound.

It's funny how I use the "Q" often, but know very little about it... lol

abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Other Sectors