Yar's Revenge Challenge...

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
Qix77
User

Re: Yar's Revenge Challenge...

on Monday, March, 06, 2006 4:02 PM
Some more information about the game.

As you progress in the game, the Qotiles get smarter and faster. Check the table below to see what happens.

Score Shield Laser Cannon
70,000 Blue Swirls triple in frequency.

150,000 Gray Swirls back to normal frequency, but they now change direction in mid-flight.

230,000 Pink Three swirls again, with mid-flight direction changes, and they sometimes fire instantly.

Action Points
Cell hit by missile 69
Cell devoured by Yar 69 + 100 bonus points
Qotile Destroyed 1000
Swirl destroyed in place 2000
Swirl destroyed in air 6000 + bonus ship

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Monday, March, 06, 2006 6:36 PM
Qix77 Wrote:Finding the right time is rather hard to do these days. I know how that goes. I'm inching my score forward. (I just wished I had an Atari VCS joystick).

Yes, finding the time is the trick... a trick I have yet to get very good at. If only I didn't have to work I would have so much more time! Damn bills!

And about the Atari joystick - you really should get yourself an Atari Flashback 2. It's ONLY $30.00 and comes with TWO classic Atari joysticks AND Yars' Revenge! Just head down to the local department store and pick one up - they're in the toy department.

Of course, I have a Flashback 2... I just don't have much time for it.

I probably won't be able to give Yars' Revenge some good attention until next weekend. But when I do... watch out! order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

Qix77
User

on Monday, March, 06, 2006 10:50 PM
TheReelTodd Wrote:...you really should get yourself an Atari Flashback 2. It's ONLY $30.00 and comes with TWO classic Atari joysticks AND Yars' Revenge! Just head down to the local department store and pick one up - they're in the toy department.

Once I have the money to spare, I sure will... I'm also going to hit a lot of 'yard sales' this summer and see if I can find an old 2600 with games (or I could invest in an EEPROM burner and burn the roms I want to play). I'll have to learn a little more about that.

TheReelTodd Wrote:I probably won't be able to give Yars' Revenge some good attention until next weekend. But when I do... watch out!

Thats cool. Just keep an eye on this thread...

In the next month (after we've played the tar out of Yar's), we'll have to agree on another Atari game to challenge one another. Something we can keep score at, but also have a lot of fun playing...

Oh... and I sent a PM your way, Todd and MM... You might find it interesting

Qix77
User

on Monday, March, 06, 2006 11:50 PM
I MADE IT TO THE PINK SHIELD!!!!!! YEAH FOR ME!!!! lol

Score: 249,263.........Shield: Pink..........Game: 1st

Players: 1 Player.......Time: dunno but it didn't take very long.

Now that I understand the game better, here is a hint as to what I use... and believe me, it really helps.

On levels redish/brown, blue, and Gray shielded try to eat the entire sheild. Afterwards, try to kill the swril while it's in the air. For the Pink shield, just eat enough and then try to kill it in the air. It's not really as hard as it sounds, but it will take some practice.

For the first thru Gray, this was my original plan but I thought I was getting to greedy with collecting free guys. Now I know that if I allow myself to take my time, then it turns out to be no big deal. I'm going to be using this method from now on and see if I can beat MutoidMan's score...

I'm so proud of me..

(I know... It's sad... lol)

------------------------------ EDITED -----------------------------------

I'm now at: 291,425

Another hint... When you get to the gray and pink levels, let the swril chase you for a moment and if you time it right, you can shoot it better if you time it right.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we do choose to compete at another game, lets stay away from arcade ports because we could do it the right way by using MAME... Well, there's an idea...

MutoidMan
User

on Tuesday, March, 07, 2006 12:38 PM
Qix77 Wrote:I MADE IT TO THE PINK SHIELD!!!!!! YEAH FOR ME!!!! lol

Go Qix77 go!

Qix77 Wrote:If we do choose to compete at another game, lets stay away from arcade ports because we could do it the right way by using MAME... Well, there's an idea...

I'm playing Yar's Revenge on the Atari: 80 Classic Games in One! complilation I bought for the PC and it works perfectly as far as I can tell. Not bad for ten bucks.

There is a pattern to the Swirls, and knowing when they will appear (but not when they'll fire) is easy to figure out; all you need to do is watch the color changes. Even the homing Swirls are easy to avoid if you know their flaw. BTW, I've seen the Swirl fire instantly even on the red and blue shields. It just doesn't happen often.

It's the missile that tracks you around the field that's the real danger.

In game type 6, the "Ultimate Yar's Challenge" which I play, the missile cannot be destroyed by your Zorlon Cannon and you must either eat maybe three or four pieces of the shield (I'm not sure) or touch the Qotile before touching the left side of the screen to summon the Zorlon Cannon. There might be other differences.

"We are, after all, not God." - Cmdr. J. J. Adams
"C is for cookie. That's good enough for me." - Cookie Monster
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man." - Huey Lewis & the News

Most recent PC game collection update: 04/12/2012. Check it out!

Qix77
User

on Tuesday, March, 07, 2006 7:29 PM
I'm going to start playing in mode 6 from now on, because I almost flipped the score from the frist mode.

This is my higest score as of yet...

SCORE: 871,418

I'll be playing mode 6 from now on... Thanks for the input MM.

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, March, 07, 2006 7:43 PM
Oh my User - look at you guys go!

I doubt I'll catch up to either of you, but I'm still going to try and at least get to the pink shield and see what the homing swirls are like.

I imagine after a while, you get in a zone with this game, and those higher scores are a little easier to get to.

For now though, just breaking 100,000 points is hard work for me. Man - I wish I had more time for this game! It doesn't help that I got my Flashback 2 hooked up to our main TV in the living room and it's hard to get on that during the week. I have Yars' Revenge on my regular Atari VCS here next to my PC, but I like it much better on the FB2 for some reason. I don't care to play it on the Stella emulator. For some reason, it just ROCKS on my living room TV!

Yeah - I can't wait to hit it again soon!

Addicting game.

Such awesome fun in a 4KB package, huh?
where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

Qix77
User

on Tuesday, March, 07, 2006 7:54 PM
TheReelTodd Wrote:I don't care to play it on the Stella emulator. For some reason, it just ROCKS on my living room TV!

Yeah - I can't wait to hit it again soon!

Addicting game.

Such awesome fun in a 4KB package, huh?

Thats because you like to play it the way it is ment to be played. Once I get my flashback or a used 2600, I know I'll end up shelving Stella for a while and spend more time on infront of the TV.

Once you get to the pink shield, it will seem really hard at first... but once you learn the "Chase Me You Damn Swirly Thing" trick... then you shouldn't have much trouble flipping the score.

I agree. I love this game to death. I am so inspired to find a few old 2600s and play it like I use to.

I also heard of a guy who use to build and mod 2600s a few years ago online. I'll have to see if I can find him again. It would be an interesting read.

Qix77
User

AHHH!!! I hate double posts...

Qix77
User

I flipped the score on mode 1...

ok.. I'm ready for mode 6...

I MUST HAVE MORE YAR'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe this is a good time to look for PC clones...

Qix77
User

on Tuesday, March, 07, 2006 9:49 PM
MutoidMan Wrote: BTW, I've seen the Swirl fire instantly even on the red and blue shields. It just doesn't happen often.

I've noticed that too... It's very rare, but it does happen. I believe this is (in part) the 2600 chipset woking their random goodies at best.order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

Qix77
User

on Wednesday, March, 08, 2006 9:03 PM
Links to Yar's that you guys might want to check out sometime...

Atari Comics: The Qotile Ultimatum!
http://www.atariage.com/comics/comic_thumbs.html?MagazineID=48
Atari Protos
http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/yars/yars.htm
HSW's Site
http://www.onceuponatari.com/index.html
The Almighty Guru
http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Reviews/YarsRevenge/
Yar's Revenge T-Shirt (I couldn't find a pic of it here)
http://store.gameasylum.us/at26tyaremne.html
.... Ok..... I'm a big Yar's freak.... ...

SAVE THE YARS!!!!

Jademz
User

on Wednesday, March, 08, 2006 10:22 PM
I didn't recognize the game at first, thought I had never owned an atari2600, but I was mistaken. Once I saw the cartrige, I remembered!
I had bought one, I had three cartriges, one of them was Yars Revenge. I only played Yars Revenge, and I played the hell out of it!! That's pretty cool! I must have been really young, around 11-12(late 80s). order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

DaveTRON
User

on Thursday, March, 09, 2006 11:12 AM
The mini game for getting past a firewall in TRON 2.0 GBA is basically Yar's Revenge. Added a few quirks to it and voila, TRON mini game.

I actually think those mini games in the GBA version were one of the few places where we really conencted to the TRON world again. The idea of the functions in the TRON world being like games in our world worked well.

Yar's Revenge is a classic, one of my faves.

DaveTRON

MutoidMan
User

on Thursday, March, 09, 2006 12:59 PM
OK, check out the YARS' REVENGE game program instruction booklet scans hosted on AtariAge.com. Specifically, pay extra attention to section 5:

YARS' REVENGE Game Program Instructions
After reading the instructions, I know now that if I want to prove that I'm a "tough avenger", then I'll need to set the difficulty to A in game 6. I'm going to give it a shot and find out just how tough it is.

How cool is it that in Ultimate Yars, the energy units you need to collect in order to be able to summon the Zorlon Cannon-it turns out you need five-are called TRONS! One unit is one TRON, two units are two TRONS, etc. Ya gotta love it!order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man." - Huey Lewis & the News

DaveTRON
User

on Thursday, March, 09, 2006 1:28 PM
Wonder which came first? TRON or Yar's Revenge? Both were out in 1982.abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

DaveTRON

MutoidMan
User

on Thursday, March, 09, 2006 2:07 PM
DaveTRON Wrote:Wonder which came first? TRON or Yar's Revenge? Both were out in 1982.

From the Yars' Revenge page on AtariProtos it looks like the game was in development or had been completed at least as early as 1981. However, TRON was in development since 1978, so I think it's possible that term "TRON" was inspired by the news about the production of the movie.abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Thursday, March, 09, 2006 6:38 PM
Qix77 Wrote:I flipped the score on mode 1...

ok.. I'm ready for mode 6...

Whoa

Good for you!

I'm not even close to flipping the score.

I had a few minutes to play Yars' Revenge a little while ago - just got in a few rounds though, not a full game. BUT I played on mode 6. I have to tell you - I LOVED mode 6! I expected it to be harder, but I actually enjoyed it far better than mode 1. I think I'm done with 1 and going to stix with 6. Yeah, um... sorry for the cheesy rhyme.

I love mode 6 because I can't Zorlon Cannon myself all the time accidentally. In mode 1, I derez myself at least once or twice per game totally by accident because I'm in close proximity to the shield, firing at it, and running away from the roaming dash-o-death and I end up eating a block or two, which in turn summons up the Zorlon Cannon, which fires because I'm rapid firing, which ends up hitting me because I'm darting from top to bottom to top to bottom to elude the death-dash (via wrapping from top to bottom, etc.) and I always end up in the way of the Cannon-fire. In mode 6 - it's just not possible.

I can't WAIT to play a FULL game in mode 6!

Qix77
User

on Thursday, March, 09, 2006 11:35 PM
I found it to be a little easier because after you finish a level (and you eat enough cells) you can resupply your cannon on the next round without having to do anything else.

I flipped the score of mode six and I'm going for all modes... I now find it much easier killing the swirl on the pink shield then any of the easier ones.

I know that you are supressed for time, Todd... but I know that once you get the hang of it, you'll kick some major butt. It's not as hard as it seems to be (believe me, I know... I went nuts trying to score high at this game).

What I love most about all of this is the simi-personal interaction we are sharing about one of our beloved games. I really hope to spend more moments like these with you guys on other games. It's a must. It's what I look so forward to after a hard days work. Much better than cheezing out infront of the TV watching re-runs on Nick-at-Nite.... (I love the Cosby's and Fresh Prince too).

BTW: I'm doing a cell shade of the Yar on the cart for a T-Shirt. Once I get it done, I'll post a jpeg here.
order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Friday, March, 10, 2006 6:26 PM
Woo hoo!

I was able to squeeze in two whole games just a while ago and I got a new personal high score!

It's not nearly up to the level you guys are at, but it's a new high for me!

Man - I'm LOVIN' mode 6 - it's awesome!

I love not shooting myself with the Zorlon Cannon twice every game!

The first game I played, I only got in to the 80,000's because I got killed by THREE swirls in ONE round! The damn thing wasn't giving me any warning... well, not much. And BAM! Three guys down in ONE round!

But that second game was great! If I could have gotten in a third game, I'm sure I would have cracked 150,000 or even 200,000.

I've been eating away at the shield rather than shooting it. I didn't realize before that eating the shield was worth more points than shooting it (until I read something about the point system in the game recently). Now I get to the blue shield long before I get to the 1st board without the neutral zone (hold the Romulan jokes ).

I would have played several rounds if I had the time. That game is addicting!

Qix77 Wrote:BTW: I'm doing a cell shade of the Yar on the cart for a T-Shirt. Once I get it done, I'll post a jpeg here.

Cool - looking forward to it!
abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

FirstPrevious Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Other Sectors 
 Yar's Revenge Challenge...