Yar's Revenge Challenge...

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 3 Pages
Qix77
User

Re: Yar's Revenge Challenge...

on Friday, March, 10, 2006 10:55 PM
Good job, Todd...

Thats how I started out. I broke 100,000 and was so excited because I never did that before. Try killing the swril in the air as much as possible. It's worth 6,000 and a free guy each time, but the game will not allow you to have more than 9 1ups at a time... untill you lose a guy and then you can get it back.

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Saturday, March, 11, 2006 1:19 PM
I had some time to play a few games early this morning. I finally got to the pink shield! Although it looks more beige to me. Anyway, my top score this morning was 150,908!

What I wasn't expecting is the swirl to chase me UP the screen! I thought it only chased on the way toward you - I didn't know it could literally shift position and move straight UP.

Well, the swirl killed off my last two guys easily in that last round. I was not prepared for it at all. Now I know. But it seemed to shoot out very quickly in that last round - not much time to get to the top or bottom to wrap to the other side when it shot out.

After that, I tried another game. I was amazed that I was mastering the shooting the swirl in mid-flight trick and I got a total of 7 guys at one point! I thought I was going to make at least 200,000 in this game!

But... the swirl had other plans for me. It killed off my guys quickly - 4 of them in one round. All my guys were dropping off like flies! And the dash-o-death got me a couple of times too. I was getting sloppy and let it get too close while I was munching away at the shield. Oh well.

It was a blast finally getting to the pink shield though!

I also found that traveling like a light cycle helped a lot. By traveling only straight up and down, or left and right, Yar moves around a lot faster than diagonal. So I purposely tried to avoid any diagonal moves at all and it helped a lot.

I'm getting there, guys - slow, but I'm getting there!

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Saturday, March, 11, 2006 1:20 PM
Qix77 Wrote:...but the game will not allow you to have more than 9 1ups at a time... untill you lose a guy and then you can get it back.

Bummer. Asteroids is like that too. I'm guessing they didn't want to spare the necessary RAM to allow for double-digit extra lives. At only 128 bytes (not kilobytes) they didn't have much room to play in.on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill onlinewhere to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Saturday, March, 11, 2006 5:21 PM
I just got a new personal best!

I'm getting there!

Ok, I think I was mistaken a couple of posts ago - the "pink" shield seemed more gray to me this time... man - what color is that exactly?

Anyway, I did a little better against the chaser swirl. Aside from when it basically just instantly shot out at me with little more than a nanosecond of warning, I was able to elude it by wrapping from top to bottom or vice-versa.
order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

Qix77
User

on Saturday, March, 11, 2006 7:13 PM
Once you get use to the swril chasing you, you'll find that it is much easier to hit it than it was on the earlier levels. It took me a while to get use to it, but man... once I'm on pink, I almost never get killed (unless I don't pay close attention to what I'm doing)...

This game is so awesome...

I'm still working on a cell shade. It has proven to be much harder than doing cell shades of people, but the cool part about it is that I can slap it to any background I want. I might just go ahead and to a collage of classic gaming artwork and try to make a really cool background for my desktop. If I go that far, I'll post that here too...

Qix77
User

on Saturday, March, 11, 2006 7:19 PM
MutoidMan Wrote:OK, check out the YARS' REVENGE game program instruction booklet scans hosted on AtariAge.com. Specifically, pay extra attention to section 5:

YARS' REVENGE Game Program Instructions
After reading the instructions, I know now that if I want to prove that I'm a "tough avenger", then I'll need to set the difficulty to A in game 6. I'm going to give it a shot and find out just how tough it is.

How cool is it that in Ultimate Yars, the energy units you need to collect in order to be able to summon the Zorlon Cannon-it turns out you need five-are called TRONS! One unit is one TRON, two units are two TRONS, etc. Ya gotta love it!

See? Tron is everywhere... where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

Qix77
User

on Saturday, March, 11, 2006 8:44 PM
Here is my work in progress.... I will try to finish this by next week... (cause I have lots of other crap to deal with)...

Qix77
User

on Tuesday, March, 14, 2006 11:31 PM
I was looking for clones and re-makes for this game but couldn't find any... Strange...

BTW: I've not done anything with the cell-shade other than what is posted above. Been really busy lately (and partied over the weekend).

Qix77
User

on Saturday, April, 15, 2006 7:15 PM
This is my cell-shade so far... It's been a long time since I was able to get back to this. I used the black background to make it harder for someone to try and finish it before I did. Once I'm finished (if I can find more time to do so) then I'll post it here...

order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

The PimpDragon
User

on Monday, April, 17, 2006 1:14 AM
Okay, I just have to say that the X-Box 360 quote is nuts!

I'm not waiting for the next game - I'm playing Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion! Or Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter Online! Or Dead or Alive 4! I can also go pick up MLB 2K6, Top Spin 2, Blazing Angels, Fight Night Round 3 or any number of other cool games!

Oh, and when I'm online, I'm playing (online with microphones against other people from around the world) perfect sims of Joust, Gauntlet, Smash TV and very soon - Super Street Fighter II!

Not to mention the game that all other games wish they could be - GEOMETRY WARS ADVANCED!!! It's like a 2600 game with next-gen graphics, effects and sound!

I'm I playing Yar's Revenge on it?

Nope.

I'm playing that on my modded X-Box! And I'm only up to 127,195....

But I'm working on it!abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

Qix77
User

on Saturday, June, 10, 2006 1:53 PM
No fingers... no finger prints....

Oh... and I really hope that I can find another game that we all can compete at soon. Something classic and something we can all emulate.... I'll get back with you on that if no one offers suggestions... which is fine...

Much love from your friendly nieghborhood ICP...

Qix77
User

on Tuesday, July, 04, 2006 12:02 PM
Its that time again.... It's time to choose a game... a classic game... If no one suggests one, I'll pick one.... and we all must battle till death... mahahahhhahhahahhah...

Ok.. Maybe not death... but I do want to wip some butt...

We defeated Yar's... What's next?

Qix77
User

RE: Yar's Revenge Challenge...

on Tuesday, November, 05, 2013 7:41 AM
I can't help it. I have to bump this up. I really would love to get the old crew back together and have another classic tournament like this again. This was so much fun.

Too bad the screen shots of our scores are no longer hosted.

Ok.. I'm going to quit now before I start posting a ton of old threads.. I just miss everyone.

FirstPrevious Page: of 3 Pages
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Other Sectors 
 Yar's Revenge Challenge...