TRON Sequel gets Kosinski on Board

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 6 PagesNextLast
Boingo_Buzzard
User

Re: TRON Sequel gets Kosinski on Board

on Thursday, September, 13, 2007 11:21 AM
TronFAQ Wrote:

As far as getting the look of a sequel right, I think that's the easy part. As long as Mr. Kosinski isn't trying to go off on some bizarre tangent to put his own "personal stamp" on the film's aesthetics, that is.

I went to his web site and looked at some of the work he's done. It's pretty much all commercials. He's noted for being the "youngest" this and that and received awards based on his age. His commercials seem geared towards the younger crowd as well.

So, my feeling is he is being brought on board to bring Tron to a younger generation. What that means exactly, I don't know... but I think there is going to have to be some kind of influence on that whole universe by what standards kids expect these days. And yeah, that might just mean Jessica Alba in a Tron cat-suit,

DaveTRON
User

on Thursday, September, 13, 2007 11:34 AM
Boingo_Buzzard Wrote:And yeah, that might just mean Jessica Alba in a Tron cat-suit,

Non-speaking, I will not give in on this point.

Put glow lines on her stripper piece from Sin City and stick it behind some real actors and that will be fine.
where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

DaveTRON

Mr. Sinistar
Sector Admin

on Thursday, September, 13, 2007 12:18 PM
Boingo_Buzzard Wrote:
TronFAQ Wrote:

As far as getting the look of a sequel right, I think that's the easy part. As long as Mr. Kosinski isn't trying to go off on some bizarre tangent to put his own "personal stamp" on the film's aesthetics, that is.

I went to his web site and looked at some of the work he's done. It's pretty much all commercials. He's noted for being the "youngest" this and that and received awards based on his age. His commercials seem geared towards the younger crowd as well.

So, my feeling is he is being brought on board to bring Tron to a younger generation. What that means exactly, I don't know... but I think there is going to have to be some kind of influence on that whole universe by what standards kids expect these days.

Personally, I like his work (however I am 16 ). His "Starry Night" commercial for Halo 3 is absolutely awesome in my opinion.

All I really ask for is to make the original tron fans (and somewhat new fans (I've been a fan for 5-6 years now)) happy.

I agree with TronFAQ. I hate directors that take a sequel and put in their own ideas on things should look. But looking at the Halo commercial (I'm a big Halo fan), it seems to be very accurate to Halo canon and even the mythology from the series. More info on Starry Night commercial
Hopefully, Kosinsik will take the same approch and same tru to the Tron canon and design.

Speaking of design, I really some of the original crew back like Syd Mead, Mobeius, John Norton and Richard Taylor...maybe get Bill Kroyer for animation supervision. And definately get Michael Fremer and Wendy Carlos for sound and music respectively. Michael Fremer created practically all of the sfx in Tron so if he joins as sound designer, I'll be very very happy. where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

OPEN SOURCE TRON PROJECT

"what the hell is a limux.."

- Gattorcar (a user on YouTube) April 17, 2007

test

lurkinghorror
User

on Thursday, September, 13, 2007 1:11 PM
TronFAQ Wrote:And Tron 2.0 proved that updating the style while remaining respectful of the original look, is also possible.

Really? I felt the game really dropped the ball on the designs. Jet inparticular, mostly because he looked like no one else in the game. Mercury fell into that as well.

It was nice that they used the original look for many programs, but the usage seemed random. As an example, in most cases, color designation was irrelevant.

Now, the environments, in that regard I must agree. Those were simply amazing.

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Thursday, September, 13, 2007 3:01 PM

Boingo_Buzzard Wrote:I went to his web site and looked at some of the work he's done. It's pretty much all commercials. He's noted for being the "youngest" this and that and received awards based on his age. His commercials seem geared towards the younger crowd as well.

So, my feeling is he is being brought on board to bring Tron to a younger generation. What that means exactly, I don't know... but I think there is going to have to be some kind of influence on that whole universe by what standards kids expect these days.
That's certainly possible. But I don't think that's it so much, as it is because Kosinski seems to be considered an upcoming "wunderkind" who blurs the line between CGI and reality in his commercials. He's also a protege of David Fincher, who himself started as a commercial and music video director. I can totally see the Disney execs thinking "hot upcoming young director who specializes in CGI, we can't lose!"

lurkinghorror Wrote:Really? I felt the game really dropped the ball on the designs. Jet inparticular, mostly because he looked like no one else in the game. Mercury fell into that as well.

It was nice that they used the original look for many programs, but the usage seemed random. As an example, in most cases, color designation was irrelevant.

Now, the environments, in that regard I must agree. Those were simply amazing.
I was mainly thinking of the environments when I said that, yes. But I also feel the same about the characters.

For color designation, I didn't feel it was that random. Sure, the no-name NPCs were colored randomly. Maybe Monolith could have been more careful there. But the rest of the characters' color alignments tied-in pretty well with the film.

Jet's and Mercury's costumes and appearances did cry out "hey look, we're the heroes and we're important so we don't look like anybody else" but I didn't mind. It fit for a game. And the costumes were an evolution of the originals. Jet's and Mercury's costumes became more like armor, reflecting their stance inside the system.

You could argue that it shouldn't be like that, and to look at Flynn as an example . . . he looked pretty non-descript and fit in, even though he was a User. And that maybe that's how it should be. I won't argue with that. Again, I think for the purposes of a game, Jet's and Mercury's designs were appropriate and at least quite respectful of what came before.

where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

zook_one
User

on Thursday, September, 13, 2007 3:59 PM
At first I didn't think Jet had a very good cosutme either. But considering that Ma3a pulled Jet into the system to defend it it makes sense that he is heavly armoured as opposed to the other systems. I still hate how "roided" up he is compared to the other programs. This is typical of heroe design now days though. GI Joe went throught the same phase.

Flynn was pulled in by the MCP so he would want him to likely have less armour.

[LDSO] LIVING DEAD SYSTEM OPERATORS www.LDSO.net

lurkinghorror
User

on Thursday, September, 13, 2007 4:10 PM
It's true, taking the video game genre into consideration the design elements on Jet and Mercury I dislike become less irritating. But to anyone who closely follows the comic industry, Jet's design was of a style that came into fore in the early 90's and is generally associated with some very low moments in the genre. By the time of the games release, his non-symmetrical elements and odd jaw line semi headgear with exposed hair (HAIR!) had a very dated feel. Mercury is less of an issue to me. in fact, I like most of her design, except (as noted) the fact that no one else looks much like her in the Tron 2.0 universe.

The other aspect that bugged me was the free use of the conscript tunic. The tunic was a means of identification. Not casual wear.

As for colors, I was thinking primarily of the no name NPC's. But in a way, those are just as vital as the backgrounds. They ARE the backgrounds, or at least an extension of them. Color as a means of identity is something I think is very important in Tron and I think it a failing that the game did not give this enough attention.

And at one point the guard programs were blue instead of red, right? If I'm remembering correctly, any idea why they switched?

In the end, I'm far more picky about the visual interpretation of the Tron universe than I would be with other entertainment. The reason is because (as it is an analogous reality rather than a literal one) it is a universe of perception first and foremost. I (rather obviously) have no problem with going off model of the designs or introducing mutable elements, as long as these things have a rational beyond "this is what would look good".where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

lurkinghorror
User

on Thursday, September, 13, 2007 4:13 PM
zook_one Wrote:I still hate how "roided" up he is compared to the other programs. This is typical of heroe design now days though. GI Joe went throught the same phase.

What I really hated was how feeble Alan was in comparison to his son.

DaveTRON
User

on Thursday, September, 13, 2007 5:20 PM
Steven and I had a long talk about this once, and in his view the costumes and suits of TRON 1 would be replaced by circuitry integrated onto the body of more advanced TRON inhabitants.

In other words, the more powerful you are, the less you have on. Or at least that was how I understood it. on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill onlineorder abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

DaveTRON

Compucore
User

on Thursday, September, 13, 2007 7:27 PM
I just had a thought of seeing someone in a goalie like outfit when you play hockey. ANd that is how you start off with in the beginning. I was just smirking when I had read your response Dave.

DaveTRON Wrote:Steven and I had a long talk about this once, and in his view the costumes and suits of TRON 1 would be replaced by circuitry integrated onto the body of more advanced TRON inhabitants.

In other words, the more powerful you are, the less you have on. Or at least that was how I understood it.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Jademz
User

on Thursday, September, 13, 2007 11:24 PM
lurkinghorror Wrote:
zook_one Wrote:I still hate how "roided" up he is compared to the other programs. This is typical of heroe design now days though. GI Joe went throught the same phase.

This is a little off topic, but, since you guys are on teh subject...

I started another Tron theatre sunday, which will focus on some moves the models make, I'll just say, "let's dance". lol

It took me a while to figure out where to use my creativity, since I didn't use much, except for some sequences that showed maps I like, also, it was my sorta rant, about what the material means to gamers, (tools, prefabs) which were ripped from the game, and at best, a little difficult? and incomplete? lol I'm sure the next one should may induce a few chuckles... (all the material I use is not from a mod, it's all built-in multiplayer goodness)

On The colorschemes topic, I feel the game reflected a upgrade of colorschemes, for instance, ultimate baddies are purple, not red, since the security was red, it made sense that it was there, in it's proper color. But, I'd say seekers, being both purple and blue, and had 2 classes of characters, using different textures altogether was lame. They obviously didn't finish something in the character dept.

The "hair" on characters, and partial headgear, looks good, since it has some personality, and shows some sort of upgrade to Jet's personality, being inside the PC, since that was a strong part of him. bla blah blah

KiaPurity
User

on Friday, September, 14, 2007 12:49 AM
Thinking about it, Jet's "hair" didn't really look that much of hair to me personally.

And besides, there were previous programs in Tron that featured hair such as that woman in red Flynn walked past, saying, "Hey."

I'm sure everyone knows that woman.

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

Jademz
User

on Friday, September, 14, 2007 1:43 AM
KiaPurity Wrote:Thinking about it, Jet's "hair" didn't really look that much of hair to me personally.

And besides, there were previous programs in Tron that featured hair such as that woman in red Flynn walked past, saying, "Hey."

I'm sure everyone knows that woman.

I agree, it is odd looking, compared to games which have hair on chars. lol.

I just thought the game look, was good enough.. but yea.. maybe not. hehwhere to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

Boingo_Buzzard
User

on Friday, September, 14, 2007 10:28 AM
KiaPurity Wrote:

And Dumont had a beard

order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

lurkinghorror
User

on Friday, September, 14, 2007 2:44 PM
Boingo_Buzzard Wrote:
And Dumont had a beard

Yes. but it looked terrible.

I have to stick with my no hair vote. Yes, it had been done in a very limited way within the film. But the iconic look created with the film is the helmet/head covering. You can afford small exceptions outside of the main characters. But the main characters should embrace the iconic look, for marketing reasons if nothing else.

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Friday, September, 14, 2007 3:22 PM
lurkinghorror Wrote:The other aspect that bugged me was the free use of the conscript tunic. The tunic was a means of identification. Not casual wear.
I'd like to hear why you think this to be the case? How did it identifiy its wearer . . . I take it you feel this was a sign that the program had been assigned as a warrior on the game grid?

And at one point the guard programs were blue instead of red, right? If I'm remembering correctly, any idea why they switched?
To reflect their alignment to their particular system, I guess. The red ICPs were aligned with Encom, blue aligned with the internet City Hub, and purple with fCon.

That did bother me a bit too. But I took it as that was his state of mind at the time, and it was reflected in his "physical appearance". I think he had become tired of his research and his constant arguments with Jet, lost a bit of his zeal for life. Perhaps if he'd had a different state of mind, he would have been more capable inside the system.

I have to stick with my no hair vote.
On the one hand I understand where you're coming from. But on the other, hair on the characters was actually somewhat prevalent. Yori had long flowing hair in the deleted scene, and Tron had hair under his helmet in publicity photos.

Yes, this did not make it into the film, but the original intention was there.

DaveTRON Wrote:In other words, the more powerful you are, the less you have on. Or at least that was how I understood it.
Wonder how the Disney big-wigs would feel about that!

As for myself? Skimpily dressed female programs? Hmmmmmmm . . .

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

Cam_the_Man
User

on Friday, September, 14, 2007 4:18 PM

Well, as a wise man once said:
"Expect the best, prepare for the worst."
EDIT:Question: Why is this different from any other time? I suppose it's because it's the first time TRON was mentioned in Disney since 2.0
where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

In the midst of Team Fortress 2:
TRON.dll: (Captures the intelligence) "I have take the intelligence and it will cause meltdown!"
Cam_the_Man: "No! Not all of Dallas!"

lurkinghorror
User

on Friday, September, 14, 2007 5:13 PM
TronFAQ Wrote:
I'd like to hear why you think this to be the case? How did it identify its wearer . . . I take it you feel this was a sign that the program had been assigned as a warrior on the game grid?

I don't think there was a single character in the movie that wore a tunic that wasn't freshly conscripted, and referred to as conscripts. So not just a warrior assigned to the game grid, but a fresh conscript in training.

TronFAQ Wrote:That did bother me a bit too. But I took it as that was his state of mind at the time, and it was reflected in his "physical appearance". I think he had become tired of his research and his constant arguments with Jet, lost a bit of his zeal for life. Perhaps if he'd had a different state of mind, he would have been more capable inside the system.

A theory I can accept.

TronFAQ Wrote:Yes, this did not make it into the film, but the original intention was there.

I don't think we can really count the deleted scenes or promotional material. Not when establishing an iconic look for the Tron universe. The iconic look really is helmet over hair, something I can attest to after witnessing the dismissive responses to the design of Jet in the comic promotional material.

gRiD_89a
User

on Friday, September, 14, 2007 8:09 PM
DAMN!!!!!!!!!! Havent been here in awhile and poof look what i find, im very very happy with anticipation on this news. God knows they got alot of fan made story information the can dredge up on this site for inspiration and ideas for remakes sequels prequels and whatever! You guys reading this at disney...og to the fan made storylines section in this forum!!!! Thats your clay to make the bowl!

Alan1
User

on Monday, September, 17, 2007 4:54 PM
lurkinghorror Wrote:I've always felt it a mistake to look for a literal upgrade with the characters and universe of Tron. The entire universe as perceived by Flynn is an analogy.

Is this a hint about the direction of the comic?

Flynn's the rabbit!, Flynn's the rabbit!

"This isn't happening, it only thinks it's happening"-Kevin Flynn
https://www.facebook.com/pages/LightEars/935720649794384

FirstPrevious Page: of 6 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 TRON Sequel gets Kosinski on Board