Collector 
 Custom Tron Legacy Figure Resource

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 41 PagesNextLast
CB2001
User

RE: Custom Tron Legacy Figure Resource

on Sunday, May, 13, 2012 8:09 PM
trekking95 Wrote:I did not really wan't to do the hair, which is better for that?

Also where would you get a figure for a suit?

And is there a difference in the hair between Tron and 82/85 Alan?

Well, it depends. I mean the B-Wing pilot's hair seems longer and a bit wilder than Wedge's hairdo. If you want to go with long and wild, you could go with the B-Wing pilot. If you want something that is not as wild, you can go for Wedges. Basically, the hair style choice is up to you. Me, personally, when it comes to the hair, Wedge's is better.

For the figure body with a suit, I know the G.I. Joe line has had a couple of them in recent years, including one that is a SDCC special edition of Destro from the first G.I. Joe movie (which I have seen a few customs use this body, such as one for a James Bond figure in the same scale). Face from the A-Team movie line is another one that comes to mind. There's a 3.75 Nolan version Batman figure line that have figures in suits (i.e. the Joker Thug from the beginning of the film, the one who Joker takes out with the bus, and one that is a Bruce Wayne figure). The drawback is that there isn't a whole lot of articulation in the arms and the legs (the legs bend at the hip and knees, but don't expect any "kung-fu" or action poses with that particular line), but I've seen some of them pop up on eBay. There's also Parker Selfridge from the Avatar figure line, but the problem is that the size of the figure's body is slightly smaller than the G.I. Joes. Not to mention the fact that Selfridge doesn't have a jacket top (which could be remedied sculpting the sleeves and jacket). There's also Henry Jones Snr. from the Indiana Jones line, however the style of the suit's vest and tie sort of make it look old. However, you can take the jacket portion off the figure, as well as the arms of the figure, and use them on another one (which has been done plenty of times). And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there any Harry Potter figures in that scale that come with a suit? I don't know about that, as I'm not into Harry Potter.

However, if you're good at sculpting, you can kitbash various G.I. Joes together and sculpt a suit jacket. I know of a couple of a couple of custom figures that have been done that way. Honestly, if you don't want to sculpt anything, I think if you combine the arms, jacket and legs of Henry Jones Snr. (mentioned above) with the torso and hips of the Indiana Jones figure seen here (bottom row, to the left, holding the machine gun), all you'd need is to paint the suit and tie and you've got yourself a business suit for your figure.

Of course, the above I've suggested are just some of the options from known lines. You never know, there may be a G.I. Joe scale line that isn't really well know but is over produced that could have parts or even a full body in a suit that you can use. Either way, it's going to take some work to find the right body/parts and confirm the correct scale to make such a figure.

For the hair, there is a noticeable difference between Alan's hair circa 1982 and TRON's hair circa 1989.

Alan Bradley circa 1982:
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3 (The image of Alan, Flynn and Lora in Flynn's upstairs apartment at the arcade).

TRON circa 1989:
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3 (as depicted in the game, in which the hairstyle looks more like the 1982 Alan Bradley hair. However, you can see the noticeable difference in the hairstyle, even more so when you compare it to the comic, so take this one picture with a grain of salt).

Alan Bradley circa 1989:
I wasn't able to find any screencaps of where you see Alan from the news report after Kevin Flynn disappears, so I had to make my own. Here it is. As you can see, his hair is a different from how he had it in 1982.

trekking95
User

on Sunday, May, 13, 2012 10:47 PM
That Wedge is not cheap!
I will have to keep an eye on the biding ones that are cheap or hope Walmart has one.
Or get B-Wing pilot.

They have been replaced by the Episode 1 package now, right?

That head and suit idea for old Alan sounds great, a new summer project! Thanks!

And don't feel bad about not know the Harry Potter figures, I don't like the it either.

Also thanks for all the pics/links, that's nice of you!

Thanks to FlynnOne for the signature!

Save Tron 3!

CB2001
User

on Monday, May, 14, 2012 12:23 AM
trekking95 Wrote:That Wedge is not cheap!
I will have to keep an eye on the biding ones that are cheap or hope Walmart has one.
Or get B-Wing pilot.

They have been replaced by the Episode 1 package now, right?

That head and suit idea for old Alan sounds great, a new summer project! Thanks!

And don't feel bad about not know the Harry Potter figures, I don't like the it either.

Also thanks for all the pics/links, that's nice of you!

Well, you may also want to check Toys'R'Us. There's a good chance they may have all the series stocked. Or get the B-Wing pilot, like you said. But keep checking eBay. You may find someone doing selling of them from China. Granted, you'd have to wait a while for it to arrive, but trust me, I've got two Juno Eclipses (with one I'm going to use for a T:L version of Yori) and a Plourr Ilo figure (the one that has been used for the Quorra head customs here). More often than not, some of them are often much cheaper or equal to buying from Wal-Mart.

No problem. I've been toying around with the idea myself about doing Alan (both young and 2010) in my long list of customs I want to do, as I've also been toying around with doing figures of young Sam Flynn in addition to Real World Sam Flynn.

I honestly don't like Harry Potter. It's just not the kind of fantasy I'm into.

You're welcome. Trust me, hairstyles can make or break a figure custom, just like any part you use. TRON looks like he got some sort of trim (or its possibly trimmed and slicked back) in comparison to his user in the same timeframe, which appears he may have grown his hair out a bit more since 1982.

CB2001
User

on Wednesday, May, 16, 2012 11:01 PM
BTW, I forgot to share this for those looking to do customization. Here are some tutorials from the basic to the more advanced, covering everything from headswaps to painting, as well as using sculpt to alter the ball on a ball joint and using sculpt to create clothing on your figure. It's at a site that I normally visit called FigureRealm: http://www.figurerealm.com/viewcustomtutorial.php

trekking95
User

on Thursday, May, 17, 2012 12:18 AM
I have been there before, its a great site for customs!

Save Tron 3!

CB2001
User

on Thursday, May, 17, 2012 4:06 AM
trekking95 Wrote:I have been there before, its a great site for customs!

Yep yep!where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

SabreFX
User

on Friday, May, 18, 2012 2:15 AM
I finally purchased the WWE "The Miz" I mentioned previously for my helmetless 7" Sam Flynn custom. I actually found a slightly cheaper version of The Miz without the light-up arm gimmick and got right to work. I was worried The Miz's head would be too small, but I think it turned out okay. EDIT: Apparently, I can't post pictures until I have twenty posts, so here's the link to my TFW2005 write-up:
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/598835-tron-legacy-7-sam-flynn-no-helmet-wip.html
I cut off Sam's head and the part of the neck molded to the front of the helmet as well as the back of the head. I then removed The Miz's head and cut off his neck. Would have been a hundred times easier and quicker if I had a Dremel tool instead of the box-cutter and hobby knife combo. I unscrewed Sam's body and removed the light-up face unit. By simply cutting the 3 or 4 wires attached to the face unit, and leaving the speaker, circuit board, and battery pack alone, the figure retains the chest lights as well as the speech feature!

Next, I need to secure The Miz's neck to the inside of Sam's body. I'm thinking of using a 2-part epoxy or something. Oh, The Miz also donated his left hand to Sam. They use the same type of joint to plug into the wrist, but The Miz has a cool swivel joint within the hand and actually grips the identity disk a lot better than Sam does.

His hair also needs some blonde or light brown highlights but I'm not going to bother sculpting or reshaping the hair as I think hair style is close enough for this character.

Finally, I hope to salvage what is left of Sam's helmet in order to give him a disk battle face shield that can simply slip over the new head.
I'm really happy with the results so far!

trekking95
User

on Friday, May, 18, 2012 2:36 AM
SabreFX Wrote:EDIT: Apparently, I can't post pictures until I have twenty posts, so you'll have to imagine what my custom looks like for the time being.
Thats true but you can post a link to the site they are on.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

Save Tron 3!

SabreFX
User

on Friday, May, 18, 2012 3:05 AM
trekking95 Wrote:
SabreFX Wrote:EDIT: Apparently, I can't post pictures until I have twenty posts, so you'll have to imagine what my custom looks like for the time being.
Thats true but you can post a link to the site they are on.

Done!

trekking95
User

on Friday, May, 18, 2012 4:48 AM
I would say that looks good! Just need a bit of paint for the hair.
One of the Moderators here did the same but without painting the hair.
If you do it to this one it will be good for comparing the difference!

Save Tron 3!

trekking95
User

on Friday, May, 18, 2012 5:32 AM
CB2001, I just had a look at the Henry Jones Sr. figure and from the looks of it the jacket and arms have a "tweed" pattern on them since its that old style of jacket.
So that wont work........
That Bruce Wayne figure looks not bad, I like the suit.
But are the in good scale with Tron figures? Or Marvel ones? (can think of other uses)

I know the articulation is bad but old Alan wont be doing Kung Fu any time soon!
Besides, the arms and legs would swap with another figure like that Indy with the gun, wouldn't they?
And both Bruce and the Batman he came with are $6 incl. shipping so not bad.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

Save Tron 3!

CLU4612
User

on Friday, May, 18, 2012 1:08 PM
You're looking for a decent suit body to work for an Alan figure custom, right? Well what about this guy shown here?

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12465559&CAWELAID=1288488616

I saw these figures at the store the other day, and I have no use for them at the moment, but they seemed to be in good scale with the rest of the 3-3/4" figures out there. Not sure if that helps or is what you're looking for, but I thought I'd throw it out there for you.

Also, on a side note, what head do you guys think would be a good one to use for Gem, or do you think that it's one that would have to be custom made?

trekking95
User

on Friday, May, 18, 2012 5:39 PM
CLU4612 Wrote:You're looking for a decent suit body to work for an Alan figure custom, right? Well what about this guy shown here?

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12465559&CAWELAID=1288488616

I saw these figures at the store the other day, and I have no use for them at the moment, but they seemed to be in good scale with the rest of the 3-3/4" figures out there. Not sure if that helps or is what you're looking for, but I thought I'd throw it out there for you.

Also, on a side note, what head do you guys think would be a good one to use for Gem, or do you think that it's one that would have to be custom made?
As you can see in the pictures close to the bottom they are a little shorter than Marvel figures.
http://comeseetoys.blogspot.ca/2012/03/men-in-black-3-agent-j-agent-k.html
Still a good idea though. Alan would be shorter than Captain America anyway.

As for Gem I think its been looked into before but I am not sure what the best head was. Likely someone who knows will answer or you can just read through the pages and see if you can find it.

EDIT:
And of course since they are new they are expensive on ebay.
Maybe I will just see if the TRU here has them. abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

Save Tron 3!

trekking95
User

on Friday, May, 18, 2012 6:20 PM
Speaking of the MIB Agent K for an Alan figure, I was looking through a site called ToyArk and some member there called Boba Fettuccini (ever heard of him, is he a member here? ) had an idea where you use the MIB figure body and the head from the Vintage Collection Rebal Fleet trooper here for an Agent Coulson figure.

I know its not Tron related but since its the same figure body I thought I would throw it out there.

EDIT:
Since they are expensive new does anyone have the MIB or the Wedge figure, or even the Fleet Trooper for sale?

Save Tron 3!

CB2001
User

on Saturday, May, 19, 2012 1:41 AM
Sorry for taking so long to reply. Had a long day today.

Anyways, I apologize about the Henry Jones figure. I wasn't aware of the tweed design of it. Though the jacket portion you may not be able to use, the arms still look possible, as you would need to sand them down.

The problem with the 3.75 scaling is that though they are almost the same size, some of the figures are often smaller than not. For example, the Avatar action figure line states it's a 3.75 inches tall. However, when compared to a figure from the G.I. Joe line, they are drastically smaller. So, it's hard to say for certain that certain figure parts from various lines can fit together if they're at the same scale. More often than not, most people who do customize at the same scale often end up modifying the pieces so that they can fit. With the suggestion I made of combing the Indiana Jones figure and the Henry Jones figure, which are of the same line, it would have cut down on the chance of incompatibility between parts (because both figures are of the same line). Much like we know from the T:L line, some figures heads from other lines wouldn't fit, either requiring a modification of the head or the ball socket on the T:L figure body.

The MIB suits are correct, but not only are they slightly shorter, but they also appear wider as well. But, they are good bases if you wish to use them for Alan Bradley (that is a decision up to you).

trekking95
User

on Saturday, May, 19, 2012 2:40 AM
No need to be sorry about taking awhile, we all can be busy.
Its not your fault about the Henry Jones Sr. figure, I have one and I even didn't see it right away!

So what would be a good replacement for the suit from that one? And could the arms from that Indy with the gun work?

Another thing I have wondered about is how to paint and sculpt some of those figures.
Since they are more rubber than plastic it makes it hard for sculpting since its cheap rubber that just breaks sometimes and hard to paint since the paint wont always stick and its hard to prime stuff that small.

And when you paint the parts with joints like the arms when the paint dries it locks up the joint or flakes off when you bend them. Is there a way around any of those?

Save Tron 3!

CB2001
User

on Saturday, May, 19, 2012 12:53 PM
trekking95 Wrote:No need to be sorry about taking awhile, we all can be busy.
Its not your fault about the Henry Jones Sr. figure, I have one and I even didn't see it right away!

So what would be a good replacement for the suit from that one? And could the arms from that Indy with the gun work?

Well, if you asking me if the Bruce Wayne figure could be use with the Indy arms, I honestly cannot say because the only real way to know is to see the figure in person, see if the arms are capable. Not to mention, I just realized that the Bruce Wayne figure doesn't appear to have a ball-joint neck. But I can say the Indiana Jones body (primarily the torso and legs) is a good base for a figure with a business suit. If you could sculpt the jacket and find arms that do not have the heavy jacket sleeve appearance and you'll have your body made.

Another thing I have wondered about is how to paint and sculpt some of those figures.
Since they are more rubber than plastic it makes it hard for sculpting since its cheap rubber that just breaks sometimes and hard to paint since the paint wont always stick and its hard to prime stuff that small.

And when you paint the parts with joints like the arms when the paint dries it locks up the joint or flakes off when you bend them. Is there a way around any of those?

Well the painting of the joints is one thing I can help you out with. There is a three part tutorial online by a user called TheCookiinCompany that shows how she customize a figure. Granted, it's done by a girl and its for the 6-inch figure, but she shows how she paints a figure in the third part of the tutorial. But, long story short, when it comes to the joints, you'd have to paint them carefully and do it in small amounts (the only other option is to disassemble the joints themselves, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it).
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es86s1MDvtc
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4rX-VmIGuw
Part 2.5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJpE-Bifh4w
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4C-_7l_kAk

Now, I know it doesn't address the issue of rubber, I can't say for certain how sculpty would react to it. You may want to sign up with the Figure realm forums and ask the question about it.abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

Boba Fettuccini
User

on Saturday, May, 19, 2012 1:56 PM
They're not rubber. They are just soft plastic - not all plastic is hard. Sculpy will work fine on most figures (have had a little trouble with the kind of plastic that McFarlane toys use). I will put in that due to the nature of soft plastics, you might want to try curing any sculpy detailing you do by immersing it in boiling water for awhile, instead of traditional baking. Or better yet, get some Games Workshop 'Green Stuff' or Apoxysculpt.abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

-==[ www.boba-fettuccini.com ]==-

trekking95
User

on Saturday, May, 19, 2012 3:10 PM
Boba Fettuccini Wrote:They're not rubber. They are just soft plastic - not all plastic is hard. Sculpy will work fine on most figures (have had a little trouble with the kind of plastic that McFarlane toys use). I will put in that due to the nature of soft plastics, you might want to try curing any sculpy detailing you do by immersing it in boiling water for awhile, instead of traditional baking. Or better yet, get some Games Workshop 'Green Stuff' or Apoxysculpt.
I have done the boiling thing with that, just have to make sure the plastic does not warp.
So is that apoxy stuff what you used on the Quorra head?

Save Tron 3!

Boba Fettuccini
User

on Saturday, May, 19, 2012 5:25 PM
Yes indeed. It can be a little trickier to work with, but it doesn't crack while curing as easily and there's no shrink.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

-==[ www.boba-fettuccini.com ]==-

FirstPrevious Page: of 41 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Collector 
 Custom Tron Legacy Figure Resource