TRON: LEGACY 
 Dear Disney: Tron Sequel Ideas

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 5 PagesNextLast
LWSrocks2
User

RE: Dear Disney: Tron Sequel Ideas

on Sunday, July, 03, 2011 12:22 PM
AriesT Wrote:Deadmau5, however, has one big problem all modern DJs / electronic artists have: His tracks do not have a (good) melody beside the nice beats and synthesizers. So if you want to integrate him into TR3N, make sure it is an unimportant track which does not need a melody or the main theme k.

I beg to differ. Listen to the song "Strobe" from the CD "for lack of a better name". That song would be perfect for a more emotional scene.

Kat
User

on Sunday, July, 03, 2011 3:14 PM
Let's face it: soundtrack tracks don't usually need to be very long. Most of the ones for T:L are about two minutes. Anybody could do that. And, the two tracks I listed that Deadmau5 makes me think of don't have much in the way of a "melody" either. Sensitive chording, yes, but not much melody line that you'd go down the street humming. Nor, for that matter, do some of the others. I've definitely heard some Deadmau5 stuff with as much of a theme as some of the T:L tracks.

As far as having a theme or melody...there's the main theme... DP's already made one, and I like it, so I hope they keep at least the basic theme throughout the movies. And once you have a general theme, anybody can mess around with it and do a "theme-and-variations" thing with new mixes and/or harmonizations. Hell, that's what electronic artists DO: re-mix. Shit, even I've got a couple reworks of the T:L theme on the drawing board, one as a theme for my OC that uses the T:L theme heavily, and one that is mostly original except incorporating a line at the end to tie it in. It's just... NOT hard, and I'm sure any halfway-professional musician could manage it.

Who knows what Deadmau5 or others could do with a guest track. Let's remember that Daft Punk was doing something totally out of character as well--did they ever work in soundtrack or orchestral instruments before? (I see from the soundtrack credits that someone else orchestrated it for them, however. If it can be done for DP, it can be done for anyone else who doesn't have orchestral experience, my feelings about stuff being orchestrated by other people aside.)

Let's be clear: I favor GUEST TRACKS. One or two other artists-- in my book, Whitacre and Deadmau5-- who each do one track each, and then yes, I'd be all about DP remixing a couple of the main themes from original Tron for a track or two (but I don't see the need to actually get Carlos involved with actually doing anything new). But I'm not arguing for us to ruin the soup with too many cooks by bringing in a whole passel of people, or by trying to pull in too many influences. Just a flavor of something else, and then let DP do their thing. They've already proven themselves, so there's no reason I can think of not to keep them on and keep it all consistent.

I seriously might write to Disney with a few musical suggestions. It'd probably never get past a flunkie, but oh well, I can try.

AriesT Wrote:
Second 100-120 minutes:
Show Sam facing off Dillinger and twist the story within a fight that Dillinger is not the bad guy. (which is teasered in the conference scene, he was quite happy the data was hacked).
Then he helps Sam resurrecting Flynn. This could again be a outside-inside switch sequence in which Sam searches the pieces inside and Ed navigates him from the outside. After resurrecting Flynn, get him out of the GRID and PLEASE show the most emotional scene of all 3 movies. Disney, show some real emotions! Not like the rather cold meeting in Flynns hiding place. For the finale, all the good guys will fight the real evil.

For the fight scene Sam vs. Dillinger GRID program:
This could be the fight I was writing in my first post here. Now I know how the fight ends:
Dillinger turns down everything on the GRID and stops the fight, showing he actually is on Sams side.
Yes please. (You know I'll never jump on the "Dillinjr's really a bad guy" bandwagon. I've argued before that nothing in T:L implied he might be bad. Simply smart and rational. I think they very carefully didn't show him taking sides for a reason.)

Pilgrim1099 Wrote:

re: 4 parts into 2 movies. They would have to. It's what I suggested strongly and it is the only way to NOT compress it into a two hour clusterf---k. They can learn from Peter Jackson who's doing the Hobbit in two parts and this man knows what he's doing. He knows that doing a two hour film from the book is impossible. Stretching the story out in that line of pacing is the smart thing to do.

Disney must NEVER cave in to the temptation of cramming everything in one film to finish off the series.
Right. And this is the "in" thing to do right now anyway... Twilight did it (bad example but bear with me), Harry Potter did it. Tron can do it too. Now they know there is interest, so there is no reason to hold back and worry that they might sign on to do two movies and get stuck if the first bombs.where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

pilotpriest
User

on Sunday, July, 03, 2011 5:05 PM
For a movie like Tr3n, I don't favor guest tracks for the score. I prefer listening to a clear singular vision (Daft Punk or Wendy Carlos), where an artist gives us their interpretation of the film in musical form. I enjoy soundtracks with multiple artists, but I don't wish this for Tron.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

TRON.dll
User

on Monday, July, 04, 2011 2:53 AM
pilotpriest Wrote:For a movie like Tr3n, I don't favor guest tracks for the score. I prefer listening to a clear singular vision (Daft Punk or Wendy Carlos), where an artist gives us their interpretation of the film in musical form. I enjoy soundtracks with multiple artists, but I don't wish this for Tron.

I couldn't agree more. We're talking about a movie, not a music video. A movie should be presented as an experience, and the soundtrack should be composed based entirely off of what is happening in the movie, not the other way around, or based off of previous work (something a lot of people expected from Daft Punk's score, unfortunately).

In my opinion, a good soundtrack will be based around a single theme. Tron Legacy and Call of Duty 4 are good examples of this, because if you listen to the soundtrack, there is a certain melody that you can fit into each song. I think this makes the soundtrack more memorable, which makes the movie more memorable.

"Guest tracks" in a motion picture soundtrack? A film score should work with the movie in order to be as effective as possible. Despite how emotional or exciting a Deadmau5 track may be, we're still talking about a cinematic film score, not a movie about music.

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

Kat
User

on Monday, July, 04, 2011 12:50 PM
Right. Guest tracks by people that could add to the emotion of the MOVIE with their own unique abilities. That's the idea. It's not about bringing X Y and Z people into the movie just to have them there. It's about bringing them in for what they could bring to the score. The folks I suggested could bring something to the table; if it were about simply choosing artists I liked, I'd yell for the Beatles, but that wouldn't quite work for the movie, would it, no matter how much acid you dropped?

Whitacre had a "guest track" for Pirates. This is his wife, Hila Plitmann, singing this. You don't think his brand of eerie, otherworldly, ethereal, haunting melodies and harmonies would fit into the Tron universe for one scene, possibly even with some electronic background? Whitacre does a lot that is different and unlike what many choral composers are doing, which fits in great with the Tron theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtSL3cESphg

This is his Lux Aurumque (Brigham Young University Singers):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owB4j5skYvM

You can search Youtube for more of his stuff (or ask me since I've already sorted out some of the best recordings; you can't go wrong with the Brigham Young folks or Polyphony as both groups do a lot of his stuff). Some of it just raises the hair on the back of your neck, which is precisely what Tron needs.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Vaporware
User

on Monday, July, 04, 2011 8:11 PM
this thread seems to have gotten hung up on silly marvel comics ideas and music. That, or rehashes of the first movie. Come on, where are the good (original) ideas?

Why not just call the next one "Tron 3: The Search for Flynn?" It can be set on the "The Internet" After all, all movies made about the "The Internet" have turned out to be timeless classics, haven't they? We just need to add some star trek technobabble and a genesis machine and it can be called done. After all, Flynn gave Quorra his disk, that's probably the equivalent of a mind-meld...

AriesT
User

on Monday, July, 04, 2011 11:13 PM
Then please read my ideas. That is why I only wanted to have the people in this thread who _really_ have realistic and practical ideas.

Kat
User

on Monday, July, 04, 2011 11:48 PM
So with all the talk about the DP soundtrack we've had here, now ideas for a soundtrack for the next are just stupid and anybody who has one shouldn't be allowed on this thread?

As far as plot ideas, it sounds like you all have already made up your mind what you want, so what's the point in contributing anything else?

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

IluthraDanar
User

on Tuesday, July, 05, 2011 12:00 AM
People, chill. Like any of this matters. Disney, et al will do as they please, and we can only provide our support for the franchise so it can go on.

Nothing wrong with speculation though.

Forget it, Mr High and Mighty Master Control. You aren't making me talk.

cool83
User

on Tuesday, July, 05, 2011 2:18 AM
AriesT Wrote:Then please read my ideas. That is why I only wanted to have the people in this thread who _really_ have realistic and practical ideas.

Ideas like:

Astronauts in our future travel in space and are sent to another plant populated by apes. In the course of their adventure, they discover they are on Earth, but in a distant future. (Planet of the Apes was a very hard sell. It took 20th Century Fox to see that vision. Many others laughed.)

In a world where computers control humans as a sort of slave, providing power for their world, some escape to try to reclaim that world. These slaves are pluged into a neural system called "The Matrix", which gives these hapless slaves a dream world they see as real, but it is not. (The Matrix was offered to Sean Connery, as Morphius, and Will Smith, as Neo. Both thought it would not work and would fail.)

In a futuristic world, where robots called "Simbiants" are used for all types of work and servitude, some go astray. The rouge beings must be captured and killed by a special police force known as "Blade Runners". (This movie was spawned by a novel by Philip K. Dick in 1968. A brilliant idea brought to the big screen by Ridley Scott (Alien, Legend, etc.). Did you know that Deckart, from the original novel, may have been a Simbiant himself? See the Directors Cut(no voiceover/monolog) to see.)

So you see, all ideas are good ideas. The best idea I have seen, is the original story for TRON. It was ground breaking and nothing I had ever seen. It took a crazy story and a "Movie House's" money to make it a reality. Let's hope for nother go on the GRID.

POST YOU IDEAS. ALL YOU NEED IS ONE BRAVE MOVIE HOUSE, The Mouse House.

AriesT
User

on Tuesday, July, 05, 2011 9:00 AM
@Kat:
The soundtrack discussion was quite interesting. I did not meant to be rude, sorry for that.

This topic should not only be a place for _serious_ story ideas. That is true. But also a place for ideas concerning the music, the graphics or whatsoever.

Hwoever, please be so kind and try to avoid larger off-topic talk. Disney could watch!
(Srsly, I do not believe that any of our ideas will reach Disney without external help)

The fact why I am so concerned and rude is that I still do believe (kind of) that someone from the outside could read our stuff here. And if we really reach Disney (no matter how we should do this), I'd love to see the best ideas here. No matter who writes them down. (Discussion is good but keep it short.

@Vapor:
I already mentioned the Return of Kevin Flynn part in my big postings.

LWSrocks2
User

on Tuesday, July, 05, 2011 10:02 AM
As much as Skrillex songs are pretty much the shallowest most one-dimensional type of music out there, I have to admit a Skrillex song would KICK ASS for a disc fight scene or a light cycle chase. Basically for those of you unfamiliar, Skrillex is what you get when you rake music and strip away any sign of rithym or melody. I dont exactly know how to describe it. Ill link you to a song when I can copy paste, cuz my iPad won't let me do that.

LWSrocks2
User

on Tuesday, July, 05, 2011 10:07 AM
IluthraDanar Wrote:We haven't seen any real proof Ed Jr is a bad guy? Dedicated maybe, and the CEO could be the baddest guy simply because of the jerk he was. Even with the leak of that small film, how do we know what the new MCP and Ed Jr have up their sleeves, or if Ed Jr is a knowing full participant? As someone said, he could be used and later, help Sam.

What about the teaser in which Jr has a conversation with his dad? They seem to be plotting something as some sort of revenge for what caused Dillinger to leave ENCOM in the eighties.

FlynnOne
User

on Tuesday, July, 05, 2011 11:19 AM
AriesT Wrote:I still do believe (kind of) that someone from the outside could read our stuff here. And if we really reach Disney (no matter how we should do this), I'd love to see the best ideas here. No matter who writes them down. (Discussion is good but keep it short.

@Vapor:
I already mentioned the Return of Kevin Flynn part in my big postings.

AriesT, I second that on both parts, the likelihood of reaching Disney and the importance of Flynn returning in the sequel.

RE Disney checking out our site : No pun intended, this is "a small world after all"...since its inception, internet fan bases have remained an invaluable market research tool for the TV/film industry execs/creative teams to gauge the public's response to plot-lines, characters' popularity in a film or episodic. There are employees whose sole job it is to keep an eye on public reaction/response, and the web is the number one way to do that. If we look at it from a logical manpower/hours standpoint -- in an industry where millions of dollars are being spent every day and where folks are already working 20-hour days just to get projects done,... is team staff going to go out of their way to take polls and make market survey calls? or are they going to simply get online and peruse the fan sites to gauge where the public's head is at? The latter, most likely. See what I'm saying?...........
So, while it's unrealistic to think Disney would constantly troll fan sites like ours every single day, logic does dictate that fans' input and ideas are periodically and regularly taken into account by means of the easiest, quickest way to do so - sites like ours.
Again, taking it back to logic, for Disney or any other corporation to not listen to such input would be like offering a product and paying absolutely no attention to consumer reviews of it.
All that said, I think the idea of keeping this thread as a sticky topic and keeping it to serious ideas only is a GREAT one.
Probably also a good idea would be for us to keep the thread moderated very closely in order to cull out inappropriate posts/offensive language etc - just as a matter of respect to Disney and to the Tron franchise creators, if they're going to spend even a fraction of their valuable time checking by our site. Know what I mean?

-----OK, yeah yeah yeah, I'm shutting up in a sec, but first, ...

RE: Kevin Flynn returning in the sequel :
I agree, we gotta have Kevin Flynn. I like the idea of the 'supporting role', as some have suggested.

One curious thing I've noticed in browsing fan fiction sites recently and wanted to mention -- there's a certain small constituent of folks who apparently really-really-really don't like Flynn at all in Legacy or in the whole Tron saga, and who seem to be very strong on the side of Clu, to the point of being as angry at Flynn and judgmental of his many mistakes as Clu was.
On one hand that's a lil' bit disturbing to me, partly because I do like and respect Flynn, very much, and it also makes me wanna go, "wow, ok, lotta angry or hurting kids out there - just how many potential 'Clu's' do we have running loose in the physical world'?"...... but, on the other hand it also denotes in a good way the strength of what Kevin Flynn's character represents in the saga : a human, naturally fallible man who stepped into a digital world much larger and more potentially-dangerous than he knew how to deal with, and who made one mistake after the other in trying to deal with it, trying to be "the Creator".
Isn't that one of the fundamental moral premises behind the whole story of Tron? - i.e. the concept of how dangerous it is to try to play God, and how doomed from the start it is, no matter who you are? Or maybe allegorical for the parent/child archetype, and struggle/challenge it represents?
If so then I think THAT'S one of the most powerful reasons Kevin Flynn is the heart and soul of the film. Because what would any of us do if placed into the same situation as he was? Probably fall prey to our own shortcomings, make a huge mess even with the best intentions, and end up with a program like Clu hating us for not being perfect and wreaking sheer and utter havoc.

In short, Tron, powerful story, Kevin Flynn, powerful character. Gotta have Flynn. Also think Alan Bradley is the perfect counterpart to that energy, the logical and more grounded side of Flynn. Think we need both characters in the sequel, I really really do.

On the other side of the screen it all looks so easy.

AriesT
User

on Tuesday, July, 05, 2011 12:08 PM
Thank you FlynnOne, one more who is taking this as detailed and as I do.
We definately need to moderate this topic and sort not-so-on-topic posts out. I also second to make a sticky.

We can make this thread very important and maybe interesting for someone who works for Disney and comes here. Or let Jay help us. He is the boss here. I wonder why he does not say anything to our efforts.

Lets face it: We have time until... like 2013 to influence DiGilio in his script. It would be good if someone gets him on board until then. He must not use all of our ideas but it would be great if he adopts some of them to the final script. Is someone here in a "good" position to contact him?

I already have possible first scenes of the 3rd movie in my mind:
After the opening (with a modified Legacy main theme) the camera zooms to Sams Dumont container home like it does towards Flynns home in Legacy (to have a constant and a periodic element).

It is the evening after "The Next Day".
You see Sam from behind, sitting in front of his computer. You see an empty command console open. He breaths deeply and switches off the screen but keeps sitting for a while. Now you see his face, tired and sad of what happened. While shaking his head, you see Quorra appear. She hugs him from behind, noticing he misses his dad.
They talk about his feelings. At the end of this scene, you see Alan knocking on the big door. He needs to talk to Sam.

Something like that would be a good opening. The second scene could be a lead-in to a meeting with RAM. He can help Sam defragmenting his fathers data and getting him back to life. And then Sam reactivates the backup of the GRID and goes in.

cool83
User

on Friday, July, 08, 2011 10:19 PM
This sums it up. Just another take on a great movie with some issues.

http://maplemuse.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/tron-legacy/
Let's get some more ideas for Tron 3. Don't be shy. Make it simple. Let's see what you've got.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

TRON.dll
User

on Saturday, July, 09, 2011 2:01 AM
I'd like to see the sequel focus on the father-son connection between Dillenger and Jr., rather than focusing on antagonizing them. One thing I liked about Clu was that, while he was an antagonist, he was only doing what he thought was right, and Legacy really focused on the fact that he was only doing what was right and made us (or at least me) feel sympathy for him when he is ultimately defeated at the end.

Or just bring back David Warner. That'd make me pretty happy, too. where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

Vaporware
User

on Saturday, July, 09, 2011 8:19 AM
Unless they tried to make a clean break, the sequel would almost have to pick up with Sam trying to restore his father's code - which we know is on the backup chip.

Sam will very likely try to find his father's code from the outside, and will almost assuredly fail, requiring him to reboot and re-enter the world.

There are some constraints with that which could translate into a silly or pointless flick.

Pilgrim1099
User

on Saturday, July, 09, 2011 9:11 AM
TRON.dll Wrote:I'd like to see the sequel focus on the father-son connection between Dillenger and Jr., rather than focusing on antagonizing them. One thing I liked about Clu was that, while he was an antagonist, he was only doing what he thought was right, and Legacy really focused on the fact that he was only doing what was right and made us (or at least me) feel sympathy for him when he is ultimately defeated at the end.

Or just bring back David Warner. That'd make me pretty happy, too.

I agree with this. Not only that, I think CLU is an iconic character along with Tron. At first, Clu was just a pirate program back in '82 and then he became a 'somebody' with importance in the second iteration. If they do bring him back as CLU 3.0, he would have to be the protagonist.

One theory of mine is that if Flynn is defragged in many pieces in code, then the same can be said for CLU. Both are still 'alive'.

However, it would be a good idea for Sam to rebuild CLU from scratch, knowing that he used to be a good guy, to help him 'track' his father down. He probably still has his father's CLU code anyway.

Vaporware
User

on Saturday, July, 09, 2011 10:02 AM
That's an interesting notion. Suppose that Sam succeeds in reassembling his father's code. It would be co-mingled with CLU - which would mean that the Kevin Flynn that Sam de-fragments would also be part CLU - sort of a fusion of the two.. Although it might not be possible to know which is which..

Of course the main problem with CLU is that he didn't grow and learn the lessons that Flynn did. He was a copy of 198x Kevin Flynn that did not age or grow as a human would. He was still obsessed with his original directive...

So a KF/CLU merger would result in something interesting...

But who would really want to see a movie where the original KF becomes the bad guy - now that his Grid Persona is well-established?

FirstPrevious Page: of 5 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 Dear Disney: Tron Sequel Ideas