General Discussion 
 Joseph Kosinski: Tron 3 Will Be Our "Empire Strikes Back"

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
LWSrocks2
User

on Sunday, December, 16, 2012 12:08 AM
Tron 3 has been in the news a lot lately, after hiring a new writer for another draft of the script, and confirming Garrett Hedlund's involvement. As you probably know, Joseph Kosinski is currently wrapping up production on his unrelated sci-fi project/Tom Cruise action movie, "Oblivion". Now, he's focusing his efforts on getting Tron 3 in the pipeline.

The most interesting aspect of his recent interview with Collider is when he starts talking about the future of the Tron franchise. Key quotes below:

"Well the only reason to go back, for me and I think for anyone involved would be if we could do something truly spectacular. We've been talking about it for a couple years and there's always been this idea, a big idea, in the back of my head that we've been talking about. The idea itself, the notion of what the next Tron could be, is exciting enough that it would be worth going back to do it. Obviously we hinted some things at the end of Legacy, it's kind of there for people to see what that potential is. So we just want to make sure that we have a script that delivers on that promise on an epic scale."

"I've said it would have to be our Empire Strikes Back for me to come back and for me to pull the whole team back together. I think we do have that idea. We do have the idea that feels big and really blows the doors off this franchise. It's hinted at promises of something for two movies now, for thirty years, so it's time to deliver on that. But the script's got to be at a level that makes it worth going back for, because it's a lot of work to make a movie like this and it's a multi-year project. So we've got our writer Jesse Wigutow on it right now writing, and fingers crossed if it all comes together, as we hope it will, there could be another Tron in the next few years, and it's going to be awesome."

"I don't want to say too much about it but the goal would not be to simply re-use. We're not going to re-use the assets from Legacy, that's no fun. If we're going to do to it we're going to reinvent all over again and it's going to be a whole new generation for reasons that are very story-driven. That's all I can say."

"I think time has passed. It feels like we're kind of real-time in step. So however much time has passed since Legacy came out would also have transpired in the real world. So it will still be contemporary. So let's say if the Tron sequel comes out in 2015, then four or five years have passed since the last movie."

So, is this what's next for you, after Oblivion?

"There is certainly a chance, like I said; we're writing the script now. Sometimes with these things all the pieces fall into place. I mean, we've been talking about this for years and we don't have the script now, but sometimes things fall into place very quickly, and if everything lines up it could happen."

Very interesting news for sure.
One of the questions I had seems to have been answered; whether or not Kosinski and the rest of the team planned to revisit the visual style of Legacy. I was expecting one of two things to happen:

1. Make a trilogy of films starting with Legacy that chronicle Sam's story and use the same visual style.

2. Make a third and final film with an entirely different story that departs from the visual style of Legacy and creates a new look and setting.

From what Kosinski has said in the Collider interview, he seems to be leaning heavily towards option number 2, which is pretty exciting.abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

LORD_Z3DD
User

RE: Joseph Kosinski: Tron 3 Will Be Our "Empire Strikes Back"

on Sunday, December, 16, 2012 12:04 PM
Someone really has to ask Joseph Kosinski the REAL question: Is Tron going to have a a big role in the sequel?abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Moses613
User

on Sunday, December, 16, 2012 5:48 PM
Well, there seems to be some buzz about Hedlund being confirmed for the lead and a writer being hired for T:3. But let's not freak about that. T:L was being kicked around Hollywood for years and only after many false starts was it greenlit. And being "confirmed" for the role, that may just mean that if they make it, he's either on contract to be in it or has agreed in advance to do it. That's all.

And if you listen to this interview, it would sound as though, if anything is brewing as far as real plans to make a sequel, Kozinski hasn't been told about it. He's talking about it only in the abstract, as in "if we did a remake", not "we're making a sequel" (paraphrased) and not "we will be making a sequel". So all he's really saying in this interview is that before he drifts off to sleep some nights, he thinks about what a sequel would be like and who he'd have working on it. And hell, don't we all do that?

Only confirmation of a sequel is from Disney is confirmation. Everything else is just rumor.

cool83
User

on Sunday, December, 16, 2012 6:57 PM
This Quote from the interview, " It's hinted at promises of something for two movies now, for thirty years, so it's time to deliver on that. ", should be the focus of discussion. He is talking about the Plot for the next movie. What could it be? And, what "Promise of something" is he talking about, that was in Both movies? I'm lost.

Kat
User

on Sunday, December, 16, 2012 7:45 PM
Moses613 Wrote:Well, there seems to be some buzz about Hedlund being confirmed for the lead and a writer being hired for T:3. But let's not freak about that. T:L was being kicked around Hollywood for years and only after many false starts was it greenlit. And being "confirmed" for the role, that may just mean that if they make it, he's either on contract to be in it or has agreed in advance to do it. That's all.

I kind of wondered about that, too... I mean, sure, they COULD make a sequel without THE main character of T:L in it and perhaps could even make it work, but it doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense. Three people I would absolutely expect to be in the next one are Hedlund, Wilde, and Boxleitner, so that news comes as no surprise to me.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Pilgrim1099
User

on Monday, December, 17, 2012 9:44 AM
cool83 Wrote:This Quote from the interview, " It's hinted at promises of something for two movies now, for thirty years, so it's time to deliver on that. ", should be the focus of discussion. He is talking about the Plot for the next movie. What could it be? And, what "Promise of something" is he talking about, that was in Both movies? I'm lost.

I just hope to to the Users that Kozinski or the studio execs aren't entertaining the idea of bringing programs out into the real world in which I think the producers of the Tron 2.0 game came real close to doing. I definitely remember that that idea was certainly floating around for this game or the movie sequel in one infamous interview from a couple years ago. I'm trying to remember what the source was, though.

Mr. Jay West, being the journalist himself, might recall?

To be honest, since Tron Sector is one of the oldest and most 'hardcore' Tron site on the internet today, Disney should be listening to US for feedback to keep them in check. After all, most of us were there in the beginning and we know our $--t and lore.

Mr. West should present a petition from us asking Disney to not try to go that 'programs in the real world' approach which is anathemic to the concept. I do understand that Kat and a few of you have written fan fiction based on that premise and that's cool. Keep in mind that the Matrix 2 pulled this using Agent Smith infiltrating the human world as a program inside a human male named Bane.

And that would be absurd considering the story supposedly revolves around that chip and Quorra, along with Sam.

abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

LWSrocks2
User

on Monday, December, 17, 2012 12:17 PM
The obvious elephant in the room is the Internet. If they don't touch on the Internet at all in the next movie, I'll be disappointed. So many great opportunities there.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

Kat
User

on Monday, December, 17, 2012 8:31 PM
Pilgrim1099 Wrote:
Mr. West should present a petition from us asking Disney to not try to go that 'programs in the real world' approach which is anathemic to the concept. I do understand that Kat and a few of you have written fan fiction based on that premise and that's cool.

Actually, I haven't... unless I'm completely forgetting something. I think it would be a difficult concept; I have trouble with how Q's gonna cope. I'm not sure anyone else here has either, except for Trace.

But hell, I've thought for a long time that we're a resource Disney should milk, both as far as ideas and using forum members as extras in the films. Unfortunately, there are two possibilities:

1. They totally get rich off of our ideas with no credit*
2. They don't use our ideas-- many of which are excellent, if I may say so without being accused of bias-- for fear of a lawsuit. And possibly use crappy ideas instead.

Hopefully there's a middle ground. (LOL, we should have a single sticky thread to make it easy: "Dear Disney..." and everybody can make a post with their own ideas. No discussion or argument to make it hard to read, just everybody who wants to makes a post.)

*and lest you think "but I'd just be thrilled if they used my idea and I wouldn't need credit or payment!" then consider the "disclaimer hoops" fanfic writers always jump through lest some Power That Be decides a lawsuit or a cease-and-desist is in order, or imagine if you wanted to sell your fanfic and how hard they'd come down on you for making money off THEIR idea. I'd be thrilled if they used my ideas too-- naturally I think them quite superior, lol-- but I'd certainly hope the fans would get a shoutout.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Flynn1
User

on Monday, December, 17, 2012 8:37 PM
Agreed.

It seems a must, and would open up a lot of potential story elements or even threats.

where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Re-Rez-Ram
User

on Monday, December, 17, 2012 8:45 PM
LWSrocks2 Wrote:The obvious elephant in the room is the Internet. If they don't touch on the Internet at all in the next movie, I'll be disappointed. So many great opportunities there.

This is what I'm thinking as well.

Also if the next one is their "Empire strikes back" that should mean we are eventually getting a "Return of the Jedi", minus Ewoks hopefully.

Murdock.dat
User

on Monday, December, 17, 2012 9:08 PM
Re-Rez-Ram Wrote:
This is what I'm thinking as well.

Also if the next one is their "Empire strikes back" that should mean we are eventually getting a "Return of the Jedi", minus Ewoks hopefully.

No, instead of Ewoks, it'll be a bunch of Bits and Bytes in some lost sector of the Grid.

And that's ok.

HMMMmmmmm.......... Bits and Bytes vs Gridbugs! Thoughts anyone??

"On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy."

Pilgrim1099
User

on Monday, December, 17, 2012 9:12 PM
Kat Wrote:
Pilgrim1099 Wrote:
Mr. West should present a petition from us asking Disney to not try to go that 'programs in the real world' approach which is anathemic to the concept. I do understand that Kat and a few of you have written fan fiction based on that premise and that's cool.

Actually, I haven't... unless I'm completely forgetting something. I think it would be a difficult concept; I have trouble with how Q's gonna cope. I'm not sure anyone else here has either, except for Trace.

But hell, I've thought for a long time that we're a resource Disney should milk, both as far as ideas and using forum members as extras in the films. Unfortunately, there are two possibilities:

1. They totally get rich off of our ideas with no credit*
2. They don't use our ideas-- many of which are excellent, if I may say so without being accused of bias-- for fear of a lawsuit. And possibly use crappy ideas instead.

Hopefully there's a middle ground. (LOL, we should have a single sticky thread to make it easy: "Dear Disney..." and everybody can make a post with their own ideas. No discussion or argument to make it hard to read, just everybody who wants to makes a post.)

*and lest you think "but I'd just be thrilled if they used my idea and I wouldn't need credit or payment!" then consider the "disclaimer hoops" fanfic writers always jump through lest some Power That Be decides a lawsuit or a cease-and-desist is in order, or imagine if you wanted to sell your fanfic and how hard they'd come down on you for making money off THEIR idea. I'd be thrilled if they used my ideas too-- naturally I think them quite superior, lol-- but I'd certainly hope the fans would get a shoutout.

Kat,

If they do this "Programs in the Real World", the best they can do is have them as holographic programs similar to Cortana in HALO, but not physically going around the real world. Quorra would be the exception as an ISO and I really think that psychologically she'll want to see 'home' again, that is, the Grid.

Besides, Sam and Q have to fix whatever is damaged in the chip and clean the mess up. I just don't want to see Disney do the "Matrix" route.

Kat
User

on Monday, December, 17, 2012 9:22 PM
Pilgrim1099 Wrote:If they do this "Programs in the Real World", the best they can do is have them as holographic programs similar to Cortana in HALO, but not physically going around the real world. Quorra would be the exception as an ISO and I really think that psychologically she'll want to see 'home' again, that is, the Grid.

Besides, Sam and Q have to fix whatever is damaged in the chip and clean the mess up. I just don't want to see Disney do the "Matrix" route.
Frankly, I'd rather they not go that route, period. Personally I think it'd open a can of worms. And I'm sure there are enough avenues for a story without having to complicate things further by adding that dynamic, anyway. And you know I agree with you on Q.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Pilgrim1099
User

on Monday, December, 17, 2012 9:31 PM
Kat Wrote:
Pilgrim1099 Wrote:If they do this "Programs in the Real World", the best they can do is have them as holographic programs similar to Cortana in HALO, but not physically going around the real world. Quorra would be the exception as an ISO and I really think that psychologically she'll want to see 'home' again, that is, the Grid.

Frankly, I'd rather they not go that route, period. Personally I think it'd open a can of worms. And I'm sure there are enough avenues for a story without having to complicate things further by adding that dynamic, anyway. And you know I agree with you on Q.

And I agree with that because, like you said, opens a can of worms is that last thing they want to happen. I believe the new writer is trying to figure out how to get from Legacy's ending to something that can be contained and resolved quickly before Sam gets back into the Grid.

And seeing the rest of the episode list on Wiki, I smell a rat.

Kat
User

on Tuesday, December, 18, 2012 6:31 PM
Yep, I think they have enough to do with just explaining the whole Iso thing, and with telling Alan the whole story and whatever fallout comes from that (come on, I still say you can only take the "Alan's this perfectly-understanding dude who's okay with getting stomped on repeatedly" so far... eventually he's got to get pissed off at SOMETHING, right? The Alan Bradley *I* saw in T82 didn't exactly seem a paragon of patience-- he's so pissed at the Group 7 access being shut down that he grumbles all the way up the elevator, he's damn tired of the MCP [to the point that his eyes positively light up at the merest mention of busting into Encom and taking the dude down], just the thought of Kevin Flynn is enough to send him into sarcastic muttering).

Bringing programs out into "the real world" would, IMO, be enough material for almost an entire movie. Let's not stretch ourselves too thin, Disney.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

ShadowDragon1
User

on Tuesday, December, 18, 2012 7:06 PM
It seems like things are/may be finally moving fowards... Hopefully we will get word in the near future that pre-production has begun.

I am a bit concerned that he want to re-vamp the "style" of things and not "re use assets from Legacy"... >_> Hopefully it builds upon the visual style of Legacy and includes some more of the visual style of Uprising and 1982 Tron to some degree.

I do pray they involve the character of Tron/Rizler in the main storyline (and is voiced by and face mo-capped by Bruce Boxleitner) vastly more than they did in Tron Legacy.

I agree with those that say they should not bring Programs en masse into the "Real World."

IMO an army of self-aware Programs purposed and lead by central totalitarian "MCP 2" planning to take control of the world's computers via the web/internet, ala "SkyNET" would be far preferable and far more believable.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

"The film is about finding human connection in an increasingly digital world." - Joseph Kosinski

Traahn
User

on Tuesday, December, 18, 2012 11:21 PM
I'm glad they want to re-vamp and not re-use T:L assets. I hope it means they are going to visually remember the original movie (the franchise's roots/foundation) a little more than they did. Circuits-, vehicles-, physics-, colors-, environments-wise.

After watching the Oblivion trailer, I'm starting to think Kosinski isn't aware that there are tons of colors in a color wheel. Cold, bleak, bland, washed-out, three to four colors max seems to be his M.O... which is unfortunate, imo, and my opinion only, since I know some here like that T:L: uses about four colors max and has black skies. I hope T3 re-introduces the use of more colors than blue, yellow, orange, white and black.

They need Tron back with a large role... since the movie is called Tron, afterall. Rinzler needs to stay gone. Quorra needs to get back into a computer pronto.

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

renderinfo2
User

on Wednesday, December, 19, 2012 10:42 AM
ShadowDragon1 Wrote: ... IMO an army of self-aware Programs purposed and lead by central totalitarian "MCP 2" planning to take control of the world's computers via the web/internet ...
I second this, as long as we keep the MAJORITY of the story on the Grid. I really loved the original Tron concept where the "real world" was just vaguely pulling the strings, while the storyline was mainly taking down the MCP (or exonerating Flynn/finding hidden data - whatever) with Sark as the bodyguard.

I also like the idea of including the potential of the "Internet" as an extension of the Grid with an MCP2 having the potential to control everything, sort of an extension of EagleEye, controlling phones, cars, toasters, wrist watches, whatever. And a new bad guy/program (Dillinger/Clu/Whoever) being the enforcer. Then Tron and Sam could work on saving things from the inside, and Alan can work on saving things from the outside, mirroring the original Tron movie! This is far better (and I think could be made somewhat believable with the right directing) than bringing programs into the "real world" ISO or not.

This could also make the merging of "new assets" of the original Tron with it's brighter and more colorful world jive better with the black/color scheme of Legacy. If a storyline like this has already been done by a fanfiction author, then I know I am on the right track.

KingJ.exe
User

on Wednesday, December, 19, 2012 12:43 PM
renderinfo2 Wrote:
ShadowDragon1 Wrote: ... IMO an army of self-aware Programs purposed and lead by central totalitarian "MCP 2" planning to take control of the world's computers via the web/internet ...
I second this, as long as we keep the MAJORITY of the story on the Grid. I really loved the original Tron concept where the "real world" was just vaguely pulling the strings, while the storyline was mainly taking down the MCP (or exonerating Flynn/finding hidden data - whatever) with Sark as the bodyguard.

I also like the idea of including the potential of the "Internet" as an extension of the Grid with an MCP2 having the potential to control everything, sort of an extension of EagleEye, controlling phones, cars, toasters, wrist watches, whatever. And a new bad guy/program (Dillinger/Clu/Whoever) being the enforcer. Then Tron and Sam could work on saving things from the inside, and Alan can work on saving things from the outside, mirroring the original Tron movie! This is far better (and I think could be made somewhat believable with the right directing) than bringing programs into the "real world" ISO or not.

This could also make the merging of "new assets" of the original Tron with it's brighter and more colorful world jive better with the black/color scheme of Legacy. If a storyline like this has already been done by a fanfiction author, then I know I am on the right track.

A fantastic example of what could happen should they decide to merge the '82/2.0 scheme with the Legacy scheme was seen in the latest TRON: Uprising episode, with the "Compressed Space." Way cool.

Watch me stream TRON 2.0 on my YouTube channel!
https://gaming.youtube.com/channel/UCvvT-h8JK4w1xgKavs35WHg/live

Find the archive here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLf9ZcCtZm_CjonNAjms4wKN-p6UuiCMgZ

Traahn
User

on Wednesday, December, 19, 2012 3:21 PM
I'm a little burned out on armies being needed in movies. Matrix 2 & 3, Star Wars clones, Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit (e.g., orcs), Tron Legacy army, etc, etc, the list goes on and on. Just because computer graphics can put thousands of people, creatures and spaceships chaotically shooting each other on-screen nowadays, it doesn't mean we should in every action/adventure film. There are other ways to make an engaging story and climax without using an "epic army battle" (or threat thereof) crutch that many films seem to use nowadays. Tron 3 doesn't need an army. I think my main gripe with movie armies is you can tell or it's obvious they're CG, and when the battles occur it's a CG'd chaotic cinematic mess.

Don't get me too wrong, though. I enjoy a good epic CG battle every now and then; just don't like them being overused as they seem to have become. I'm now a little too cognizant of them, and so don't really want one (or a big "army") in Tron 3. They have their time and place.

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion