TRON: LEGACY 
 A Question about Quorra *MAJOR SPOILERS!!!*

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 4 PagesNextLast
tymantyman
User

RE: A Question about Quorra *MAJOR SPOILERS!!!*

on Friday, December, 31, 2010 8:08 PM
As I see it, Clu would have been barely able to pass through since he is a copy of Flynn. As far as his troops, since they were basic programs they most likely would not have made the conversion or not lasted long.

Quorra, as an ISO was a complicated isomorphic program, with code similar to DNA, which would allow her to be compiled into the real world since the computer had enough data to work from.

CB2001
User

on Friday, December, 31, 2010 10:48 PM
Why do you assume Sam wants to have a relationship with Quorra like that? For all you know, the two of them probably see each other like siblings.

Scottn
User

on Friday, December, 31, 2010 10:52 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Quorra goes ahead and takes Sam's last name so she has one. Then she could pass as his sister which would keep suspicion down.

TRON FANS
www.tronfans.com

peppymiint
User

on Friday, December, 31, 2010 10:59 PM
Tron Unit Wrote:
CB2001 Wrote:Why do you assume Sam wants to have a relationship with Quorra like that? For all you know, the two of them probably see each other like siblings.

This is Tron NOT Star Wars.
ROFLMAO.

but then again, it can be possible! o: maybe sam doesn't have the hots for quorra, and they meet other people (but please don't make that happen). where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

Kat
User

on Friday, December, 31, 2010 11:46 PM
Or, maybe Quorra doesn't even like boys. Or maybe she isn't interested in a relationship at all. For that matter, the same could be said about Sam....we never do hear. He's pretty quick to shoot down whether he's in a relationship, which is rather suggestive of, at most, that he has no interest in being in one (unless this is going to be one of those "no interest in being in one until he meets Quorra" things), and we never do hear for sure that he's even heterosexual.

But okay. I gotta say it sure looked like they were setting up for those two to get together. Or maybe it's just that we've been so conditioned by society to expect that the male and female protagonist in a story/movie will get together that we automatically think that's the case. I think it'd be great if they didn't go that same tired old route, even though I have nothing against an S/Q pairing. Though I think having each of them meet someone else wouldn't be great either. (Somebody tell me, was there a good plot reason for Alan/Lora and Tron/Yori, or did it just so happen that way? Somehow I could almost see it being a plot point simply so--and it's painful to say this--the women would have some relevance. Also I admit it's kinda dorky that Tron hooks up with the program of the chick his User's dating, come on, what're the odds? Heh, i always had visions of doing a fanfic where [Legacy-Grid] Tron hooks up with somebody else, maybe even some friend of Sam's he brought into the Grid for some reason [yay more Program/User love], and Alan freaks out about it because the Alan-Lora avatars aren't in a relationship and Alan gets all offended...)

Okay. Tangent over, wow.

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

DarthMeow504
User

on Saturday, January, 01, 2011 2:34 AM
Kat Wrote:Or, maybe Quorra doesn't even like boys. Or maybe she isn't interested in a relationship at all. For that matter, the same could be said about Sam....we never do hear. He's pretty quick to shoot down whether he's in a relationship, which is rather suggestive of, at most, that he has no interest in being in one (unless this is going to be one of those "no interest in being in one until he meets Quorra" things), and we never do hear for sure that he's even heterosexual.

But okay. I gotta say it sure looked like they were setting up for those two to get together. Or maybe it's just that we've been so conditioned by society to expect that the male and female protagonist in a story/movie will get together that we automatically think that's the case. I think it'd be great if they didn't go that same tired old route, even though I have nothing against an S/Q pairing. Though I think having each of them meet someone else wouldn't be great either. (Somebody tell me, was there a good plot reason for Alan/Lora and Tron/Yori, or did it just so happen that way? Somehow I could almost see it being a plot point simply so--and it's painful to say this--the women would have some relevance. Also I admit it's kinda dorky that Tron hooks up with the program of the chick his User's dating, come on, what're the odds? Heh, i always had visions of doing a fanfic where [Legacy-Grid] Tron hooks up with somebody else, maybe even some friend of Sam's he brought into the Grid for some reason [yay more Program/User love], and Alan freaks out about it because the Alan-Lora avatars aren't in a relationship and Alan gets all offended...)

Okay. Tangent over, wow.

You're right that it could go any way, but being a Disney property I doubt that there will be a homosexual angle. They may be a very open company as far as giving rights and equal treatment to their employees of alternative sexualities, but that doesn't mean they're willing to introduce it into their "family entertainment".

Personally, if I was writing it I could very easily see Quorra starting out rather asexual and ending up bisexual because she has no internal biases or barriers against it. She'd find out it was possible, and think "ok why not?". I see curiosity and a need for affection and companionship (and to give the same) being far more her driving motivation for a relationship than the physical aspect. She'd see people as people and not genders and connect with them on that level. I also don't see her really understanding the monogamy concept either. These rules are foreign things to her.

Sam, I see having been the freewheeling prettyboy kinda spoiled rich kid who has always had flings whenever he wanted and never cared to settle into a relationship. Why would he need to? He was one of the lucky few men alive able to score at the drop of a hat. After his experience in the Grid, however, he clearly does a lot of growing up in an awful hurry. As part of that process, he fought for his life, and saw this very attractive woman Quorra save his life several times, and saw her nearly die for him. That sort of emotional rollercoaster is exactly the kind of thing that could very easily form a deep attraction, and he might easily find himself falling for her before he even realizes it.

Dammit, now I wanna write fanfic. abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

DarthMeow504
User

on Saturday, January, 01, 2011 2:52 AM
Kat Wrote: (Somebody tell me, was there a good plot reason for Alan/Lora and Tron/Yori, or did it just so happen that way?)

Alan and Lora were together at the beginning of the film, and we find out through exposition that Lora had been dating Kevin previously and after they broke up she ended up with Alan instead. It struck me less a "reason the female character is there" and more like a "how these characters know each other". It also set up a bit of a love triangle between Yori, Tron, and Flynn which served as a subplot.

Tron and Yori were an item before she was brainwashed by the MCP, and Tron restored her memory. Presumably, they had a history because their respective users were together. Programs definitely seemed to have an alter-ego sort of thing going with their users.

Lora broke up with Kevin because he was an irresponsible goofball, and settled with the much more stable Alan after Kevin was fired from ENCOM. There was still a spark of attraction, but she apparently stuck with and later married Alan and Kevin married an unknown woman who mothered Sam and later died, all offscreen. Unless there's more out there on her than I'm aware of, she would seem to be a completely throwaway character we know nothing about, literally a plot device to get Sam into the picture.

Hope that helps.

Kat
User

on Saturday, January, 01, 2011 10:37 AM
DarthMeow504 Wrote:You're right that it could go any way, but being a Disney property I doubt that there will be a homosexual angle. They may be a very open company as far as giving rights and equal treatment to their employees of alternative sexualities, but that doesn't mean they're willing to introduce it into their "family entertainment".
Oh, i didn't say they'd do it. But while we're merely speculating....

DarthMeow504 Wrote:Sam, I see having been the freewheeling prettyboy kinda spoiled rich kid who has always had flings whenever he wanted and never cared to settle into a relationship. Why would he need to? He was one of the lucky few men alive able to score at the drop of a hat. After his experience in the Grid, however, he clearly does a lot of growing up in an awful hurry. As part of that process, he fought for his life, and saw this very attractive woman Quorra save his life several times, and saw her nearly die for him. That sort of emotional rollercoaster is exactly the kind of thing that could very easily form a deep attraction, and he might easily find himself falling for her before he even realizes it.
Yes, that was the impression I got about him too...

DarthMeow504 Wrote:
Kat Wrote: (Somebody tell me, was there a good plot reason for Alan/Lora and Tron/Yori, or did it just so happen that way?)

Alan and Lora were together at the beginning of the film, and we find out through exposition that Lora had been dating Kevin previously and after they broke up she ended up with Alan instead. It struck me less a "reason the female character is there" and more like a "how these characters know each other". It also set up a bit of a love triangle between Yori, Tron, and Flynn which served as a subplot.

Tron and Yori were an item before she was brainwashed by the MCP, and Tron restored her memory. Presumably, they had a history because their respective users were together. Programs definitely seemed to have an alter-ego sort of thing going with their users.

Lora broke up with Kevin because he was an irresponsible goofball, and settled with the much more stable Alan after Kevin was fired from ENCOM. There was still a spark of attraction, but she apparently stuck with and later married Alan and Kevin married an unknown woman who mothered Sam and later died, all offscreen. Unless there's more out there on her than I'm aware of, she would seem to be a completely throwaway character we know nothing about, literally a plot device to get Sam into the picture.

Hope that helps.
Right, but what was the point of the relationships? Why did Lora have to be in a relationship with Alan? Why couldn't her character be meaningful just as another coworker?

(and, I don't care. Still think Tron/Yori is a bit on the dorky side. If programs are only supposed to look like their users but don't really have the same personalities, then what are truly the odds those two would hook up?)

Tron Unit Wrote:Like sands through the hourglass, so are the Days of our Lives...
All we are is dust in the wind, dude... (yay I worked in another 80s movie reference! *off to philosophize with So-crates*)
abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

DarthMeow504
User

on Saturday, January, 01, 2011 5:03 PM
Kat Wrote:Right, but what was the point of the relationships? Why did Lora have to be in a relationship with Alan? Why couldn't her character be meaningful just as another coworker?

A, because adding in the romantic angle gave the movie something more to do than just be a sterile computer story, and B, because the backstory between the characters serves to humanize them, fleshing them out as characters who feel like they have lives before and after the hour or two we see them on screen. It especially serves Lora's character well, and I'll explain why.

First off, realize that she's a professional, almost certainly doctorate level research scientist in an era where that's still mostly unheard of. Really, where is she going to look for partners? Can you really see her making it in the club scene of the early 1980s, filled as it surely must be with leftover lounge lizards who haven't quite accepted that the disco daze are over? It's pretty certain that after the half-dozenth Leisure Suit Larry clone awkwardly trying to hit on her, she'd leave that behind in disgust. So where does she turn to find people that will not only respect her for her mind, but actually have the first clue what she's talking about when she discusses her work and interests?

At ENCOM, of course. A place where, as an oh-so-rare female geek, she's practically a goddess and can pick and choose at will. She goes first for the charming Kevin Flynn, but after he loses his job she comes to see him as too immature for her. So she hooks up with his best friend instead, the less charismatic but much more stable Alan Bradley. She sees Flynn as wasting his time "lounging around" above the arcade, wasting his talents and refusing to grow up. She wants, and finds, someone more serious and mature and she finds that in Alan, giving up her youthful attraction for the badboy to settle into a more stable and adult relationship.

Then, in the course of the story, she finds out that Kevin was robbed of his position unjustly and has been spending his time, not partying it up as she thought, but working desperately to try to right that wrong and reclaim what is his. She realizes she has misjudged him, and feeling guilty for having dumped him decides to make up for it by helping him out on his quest. She easily talks Alan into it because let's face it, she's his geek goddess and he's going to do whatever it takes to please her. When she dangles the keys and says "let's go, boys", he obeys. Lora is the one with the power between the three of them, it's her decision that greenlights the plan. When she says it's a go, Alan goes from stonewalling to on board almost as fast as if she'd cracked a whip.

All this in what, twenty minutes? Interspersed with other scenes, even? That short time of character exposition tells us huge amounts about the characters and makes them breathe. They feel like real people, and it's a brilliantly understated and effective bit of character work that is woefully underrated.

Kat
User

on Saturday, January, 01, 2011 5:37 PM
Aw, shit, I'm going back to school to become a geek goddess! Doubt I could minor in looking like Cindy Morgan though.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

scifichicx
User

on Saturday, January, 01, 2011 6:43 PM
Too many things to quote...
On Sam and Quorra: I also think Sam had those playboy fling years. He is aching for love and acceptance but has been so burned he can't open up to it. Quorra is a weakness to that because his issues go back to the father she has spent years with. She represents all these empty spaces in his heart on top of being a smart, cute, badass. He might gravitate towards her to regain some of the lost time with Kevin. (Sounds a little uncomfortable, but it's psychologically common, no?)

Quorra adored Kevin and learned from him for ages. Meeting Kevin Jr. was no doubt a wonder. I think she wants to feel a sibling type of connection to him but can't bring herself to do that. Not because of attraction but because she has such admiration for Kevin she can't mentally put herself on the same level with Sam. ...Did that make any sense?

I can see Sam falling HARD for Quorra. She would love him dearly, but I really can't tell how she'd respond to a relationship.
Alan and Lora: Though it's not substantiated in anything, I imagine that Lora and Alan were friends before getting involved. He was there for her and after breaking up with Kevin she realized that Alan was a great guy for her. Personal theory. No proof.

It said somewhere (the time line on the official T:L website, I think) that Alan and Kevin didn't really know each other very well before TRON, but it doesn't really seem that way in the movie... I don't know. But it seemed like Lora and Kevin were main characters and Lora brought Alan into it all. Thus making Alan the more unnecessary character, but his relationship with Lora very important to his involvement in everything. I could be wrong- I should watch it again.
Yori and Tron: I ship it so hard. Oh man. I think they are adorable. If programs get qualities from their users, it would make complete sense that Tron and Yori would be drawn to each other. They are vital programs in the system so they probably worked near each other on and off. Tron does all the action stuff, but Yori makes EVERYTHING work. She's amazing. They love how functional the other is. And Tron batting his eyelashes to get into the I/O tower just isn't as effective on an older dude program.

I don't know if the romance is necessary, but it serves to show that there is romantic interaction between programs and that they are all fighting for more than individual survival. I think both Yori and Lora prove themselves as strong, important female characters in TRON so it doesn't matter that they are also in relationships. So what? Love doesn't take away from a character's validity.

Program Lovin: My opinion on this matter changed drastically after seeing the Tron and Yori deleted "love scene". Previous to finding that, I thought it would be too self indulgent to see programs as sexual beings. What would the function be? How could I justify it? But there it is. Blew my mind. Go find it on youtube if you haven't seen it. SHE LIGHTS UP HIS CIRCUITS. WHUT?
abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

Scottn
User

on Saturday, January, 01, 2011 7:55 PM
I didn't think of it that way, but that's interesting.

TRON FANS
www.tronfans.com

Kat
User

on Saturday, January, 01, 2011 9:11 PM
LWSrocks Wrote:You know, that's reasonable, but I don't want to see that happen, for Olivia Wilde's sake. If that DID happen, she would become known for ever as playing bisexual characters after this and Number 13 on House.
Ah, true. Sucks to be a typecast actor.

But the more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense that programs wouldn't be held by constraints of heterosexuality...if they don't reproduce (and I'm still willing to bet strongly they don't; it wouldn't make much sense) then there isn't much of a biological reason to be hetero, so...they can do whatever they want!order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

scifichicx
User

on Saturday, January, 01, 2011 11:20 PM
Kat Wrote:
LWSrocks Wrote:You know, that's reasonable, but I don't want to see that happen, for Olivia Wilde's sake. If that DID happen, she would become known for ever as playing bisexual characters after this and Number 13 on House.

But the more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense that programs wouldn't be held by constraints of heterosexuality...if they don't reproduce (and I'm still willing to bet strongly they don't; it wouldn't make much sense) then there isn't much of a biological reason to be hetero, so...they can do whatever they want!

I think there may be functional reasons for program sex. Things like data or energy transfer between programs might have a sexual aspect to them. If that's the case, it's all the more reason for programs to be bisexual because they might want to (or need to?) interface with any given program.

Seems to me like it would be less about boy and girl parts and more about syncing up the circuits. But there's male/female all the time in computers and they are only compatible with the opposite. (Unless you have an adapter- but now we're getting kinky!) Hard to say for sure, but I think programs wouldn't have any concept of a set sexuality or monogamy as a social standard. order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

DarthMeow504
User

on Sunday, January, 02, 2011 4:06 AM
Kat Wrote:Aw, shit, I'm going back to school to become a geek goddess! Doubt I could minor in looking like Cindy Morgan though.

Well if you were single you could be my geek goddess, that position remains sadly unfilled. But since you said you had a partner already, I'll just congratulate you and hope that s/he is smart enough to treat you as good as you deserve. Smart, geeky women are a rare and precious thing.

Kat
User

on Sunday, January, 02, 2011 12:50 PM
scifichicx Wrote:Things like data or energy transfer between programs might have a sexual aspect to them.
It always occurred to me that on the Grid, two programs getting it on may very well experience an energy transfer at "the critical moment." Either one to the other, or some sort of trippy energy loop if it happened to both at the same time...

DarthMeow504 Wrote:
Kat Wrote:Aw, shit, I'm going back to school to become a geek goddess! Doubt I could minor in looking like Cindy Morgan though.

Well if you were single you could be my geek goddess, that position remains sadly unfilled. But since you said you had a partner already, I'll just congratulate you and hope that s/he is smart enough to treat you as good as you deserve. Smart, geeky women are a rare and precious thing.
Meh, I'm not geeky enough to make me happy. I'm just not one of those kids who grew up taking apart a Commodore or anything like most geeky computer folks seem to be. Always been more of the artsy type; I could sing you to heaven but damned if I can remember my root password.. My cousin and I played around on AOL chatrooms in middle school, I fought with a WebTV in high school and lamented its lack of memory tht would allow me to download AIM and talk to my friends, we didn't have a computer at our house until my senior year of high school (much to the chagrin of my senior-year English teacher every time I turned in a handwritten paper). I should've majored in computer science in college, or at least taken more classes (F'in Communications, can you believe it? Well, I still dont' know what I want to do when I grow up and somewhere in my misguided brain I thought Comm would be useful for everything, what a joke, but of course, now that I remember I have to hit grad school some day, it kinda needs to be something USEFUL and I hope I don't have to get half another Bachelor's in pre-reqs to be able to get into any Master's program). Though FWIW, computer sci department at my college was flaky (my ex DID major in that, and ended up taking some classes at a local community college too), so it wasn't entirely a bad choice. Always been a bit interested in InfoSec, though. LOL, now that we've gone down the highway of Regret 101...

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

DarthMuppet
User

on Friday, January, 07, 2011 5:42 PM
Olivia talked about her take on the Quorra/Sam relationship in this interview:

http://movies.about.com/od/tron/a/Olivia-Wilde-Tron-Legacy.htm

If we do get a sequel, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that Sam and Quorra are a couple by then. That would also raise the stakes quite a bit. TPTB wouldn't have to sacrifice any screen time showing the formation of that relationship and the two characters would have much more to lose if something happened to either one of them.

Tron Fanatic
User

on Friday, January, 07, 2011 6:09 PM
HooDooMan Wrote:From what I gleaned out of that interview with the screenwriters, there was a kind of one-for-one even trade with Quorra using Kevin's basic components that were suspended in the laser to create a physical being based on her very special (triple helix) digital DNA.

Wait a minute... does that mean that in the physical sense, she's made from Kevin's molecules?

Oh boy... and there goes Sam's lunch into the toilet.

'>

ShadowDragon1
User

on Friday, January, 07, 2011 8:27 PM
The digitization/materialization system used the basic matter components (H2o, carbon, etc etc) stored in the contaiment canisters around the base of the Shiva laser, it did not use Flynn's specific dna pattern or his exact genes. The system extrapolated from Quorra's own digital DNA and just used the matter in containment and arranged them accordingly. So Quorra is in no way genetically related to Sam.

Just as a ST: tNG's Replicator materializes a bowl of vanilla ice cream and later a piece of sirloin steak. The steak isn't genetically directly related to the damn bowl of ice cream.... :/where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

"The film is about finding human connection in an increasingly digital world." - Joseph Kosinski

Daft Tron
User

on Friday, January, 07, 2011 8:34 PM
scifichicx Wrote:
Kat Wrote:

But the more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense that programs wouldn't be held by constraints of heterosexuality...if they don't reproduce (and I'm still willing to bet strongly they don't; it wouldn't make much sense) then there isn't much of a biological reason to be hetero, so...they can do whatever they want!

I think there may be functional reasons for program sex. Things like data or energy transfer between programs might have a sexual aspect to them. If that's the case, it's all the more reason for programs to be bisexual because they might want to (or need to?) interface with any given program.

Seems to me like it would be less about boy and girl parts and more about syncing up the circuits. But there's male/female all the time in computers and they are only compatible with the opposite. (Unless you have an adapter- but now we're getting kinky!) Hard to say for sure, but I think programs wouldn't have any concept of a set sexuality or monogamy as a social standard.

You are such a pervert, you know that

FirstPrevious Page: of 4 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 A Question about Quorra *MAJOR SPOILERS!!!*