Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 Game Grid 
 Meanwhile, on a forgotten outpost...

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 13 PagesNextLast
harpo989
User

Re: Meanwhile, on a forgotten outpost...

on Monday, May, 10, 2004 4:22 PM
we are going twice as fast.. but i did 'upgrade' this sailer personally...
*Harpo presses a button and two mounted LOLs rezz in on the back of the sailer*
oh, say, Tweaker, have we met somewhere before? your curcuits look awfully familiar...

------------
Harpo989: The original fConer. (Now with (0rr[up73d fruit flavoring!)

Tron Fanatic
User

on Monday, May, 10, 2004 11:51 PM

TF: So you're telling me that this outpost hadn't been accessed '82?

ICP20396: Affirmative. Not since the fall of the MCP. The outpost was just one of those leftover datacenters that never got erased along with the rest of the MCP software.

TF: So it hasn't been touched in over 20 years, and now suddenly tose two programs go into there and wreak havoc, and suddenly this virus breaks out there. All within a matter of microseconds. I wonder that the odds are that its just a coincidence?

ICP20396: Calculating... 756864000000000 to 1. Give or take a few micros.

::: TF is still using the triangulate subroutine :::

Well, the situation is definately... improving as always. The sailer has accelerated... and now two LOL turrets have rezzed in on the rear of it.

ICP20401: Seems like this is developing into a perfectly normal scenario.

TF: Is this thing at any risk from LOL fire?

ICP20401: Not by a terrabyte. Just about anything short of heavy explosives won't even touch the armor. But somehow I doubt those turrets are going to be firing at the Recognizer. I'd be more concerned about the Programs who are inside of it. There's no forcefield protecting our front here. Its an open canopy.

TF: That sounds like a foolish design. Why no forcefield?

ICP20401: So that we can fire OUT of it. A Recognizer's functions go beyond transportation and capture.

TF: A mobile weapons platform...

ICP20401: ::: grins :::

ICP20396: I know this data exchange is all very useful, but how does it help us at the moment? Our target is getting away... ::: points at the accelerating sailor :::

ICP20401: Confirmed. And I don't think I can push this thing any faster.

TF: Hmm... what can we use to our advantage... hold on, it's a functional transport, but it's still technically just a simulation, right?

::: the ICP's both nod :::

TF: I think we can slow them down!

ICP20401: If you're going to suggest we request a power surge get sent along the beam in order to jam them... FORGET it!

TF: That's not exactly what I had in mind.

ICP20401: :::grumbling::: good, because all it'd succeed in doing is getting us derezzed...

TF: We need to locate the source of this beam.

ICP20396: I'm on it. ::: runs to the port sode of the Recognizer and presses his hand to a dark square. The square expands into a navigational control panel, including a map of the domain. He is about to start tracing the energy beam but then notices a strange expanding anomaly marked by a jumbled portion of the map ::: Don't look now, Pros, but that virus, or whatever it is... it's still growing.

'>

harpo989
User

on Tuesday, May, 11, 2004 12:38 AM
*Harpo reads his control panel and activates a system map, seeing the circle continueing to expand*
uh, oh. it's a lot worse then I thought, if that jumble of scattered code can reach outside of the system-
*Harpo runs a diagnostic and analyzes the base code for the now-destroyed directory*
That's it. the file that I downloaded from the main center was essential to the base's operating code. that I knew, but I didn't remember that the MCP once controlled all of Encom's old mainframe. it looks like I pulled the code block that was holding up the entire network! now a code contradiction is quickly destroying all of the OS' in the entire Encom company. and that's not even counting all the other systems the MCP had it's tendrals in...
*Harpo hits a few more buttons*
we need to find the old maps of this system. and I havn't the faintest idea where to look...
hmm...

[activatechat(channel_1)to?: "ICP20401"][ICP20401 pinged]

------------

The Tweaker
User

on Tuesday, May, 11, 2004 12:16 PM
Met? That's possible... I'm not sure where, though. I certainly haven't seen any other DataWraiths bouncing around the Internet. Unless you're referring to one of the other threads on the Sector... Hmm, have you been on MystCommunity?

This is developing interestingly. Hmm, I'd rather not risk my disc over this distance-- they could block it and I might never get it back. Maybe it's time for another of my special-weapon subroutines...

Tron Fanatic
User

on Tuesday, May, 11, 2004 1:20 PM
:::ICP20401 and TF stare at the glowing red and yellow vectors that made up the map of the local domain. A steadily moving dashed line indicated the beam the sailor was traveling down. The map scrolled across multiple sectors to where the beam met a point where countless other beams were streaming from. :::

ICP20401: There it is. Digital Beam Node 06D3FA.

TF: That's where this beam is being emitted from? Ok, that's all I needed to know. ::: walks over to a small communication panel to contact the beam node :::

[ping][chatrequest(channel_1)from? "Harpo")]
ICP20401: Hey, I'm getting a chat request from the Data Wraith.

ICP20396: What?

TF: ::: turns away from the comm panel for a moment ::: You suppose they want to negotiate their surrender?

ICP20396: Not a bad idea. Both of them have slain multiple ICP's. Standard response protocol is deresolution upon sight. And in this case I agree. If we're all about to be deleted by this anomaly, the least we can do is ensure they don't escape to do it again elsewhere.

ICP20401: Our primary function is to protect the system. They may hold the only key to stopping that corruption attack.

ICP20396: I don't like it, but you do have a point...

ICP20401: [acceptchat(channel_1)from? "Harpo" = yes][channel_1 active] This is ICP20401. State your purpose. And let me remind you that in light of your illegal operations, even getting a response to your chat request is more than you deserve... order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

'>

harpo989
User

on Tuesday, May, 11, 2004 1:58 PM
[chat_1]Let me put this simple, ICP. it seems when I downloaded the file from your outpost, it brought down the only code support left in this entire system. it's obvious that we can't replace that, but the code contradiction is going to destroy the entire Encom system (not counting any other systems the MCP had it's dirty tendrils in) if that code contradiction isn't stopped. and that includes all of us and every program in this network. I may know how to stop the contradiction, but we need your old MCP system map to do it.
*Harpo looks towards Tweak*
hmm... I think I saw you sometime earlier on the game grid... but it seems fuzzy...

[comment]yeah, I mean another thread. but have you ever been to Massassi.net or Bzpower.com?[/comment]

------------

Tron Fanatic
User

on Tuesday, May, 11, 2004 3:24 PM
[chat_1]Whoa,hold it right there. ICP-class maps, even an outdated one such as that contains very security-sensitive information. I might very well be handing you the keys to the entire system, which granted may very well be what you're hoping for.. However, if your claim is correct, your probability of success may will be much greater if you tell me precisely what you're looking for. Then, if it proves to be an acceptable request, we may just hold off our attack long enough for you to help us put a stop to this mess.

TF: ::: closes the comm panel and steps away from it ::: I reached the control program at the digital beam node station. When I send her a ping...

ICP20401:Wait! They may be able to help us save the system.

TF: Don't tell me you're actually in negotiations with those terrorists.

ICP20401: Very well. I won't tell you.

TF: ..........

'>

harpo989
User

on Tuesday, May, 11, 2004 4:01 PM
*a console beeps*
huh? wait... this says there's a power surge bulding up at the beam junction...

[chat_1]we need to chart out all of the still functioning MCP outposts and determine which will be the last to go down, even if we have to redistribute power, an MCP outpost will be the only way to halt this code contradiction.

*Harpo presses a few buttons and the beam receptor widens slightly*

[chat_1]...or you could just send an energy surge and blow us all to the users...abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

------------

Tron Fanatic
User

on Tuesday, May, 11, 2004 5:24 PM
::: ICP20401 ponders over the proposition for a moment and highlights all the remaining MCP outposts. he then sifts through the statistics of each. none of them appear to be of very low-security, but then again outpost 256 didn't seem important either. Obviously the MCP's way of handling things wasn't very comprehensible by normal program standards. Looking at the expansion pattern of the contradiction, he could tell that it was maintaining a circular shape, therefore calculating complex spread patterns wasn't necessary. Instead, he ordered the nav-console to calculate the distance of each outpost from where 256 used to be. The outpost with the greatest distance would have to be the last one to go.

[chat_1]...or you could just send an energy surge and blow us all to the users

ICP20401: Hey, Fanatic. Are you preparing to hit them with a power surge?

TF: It's not a power surge. I was just going to..

ICP20401: Whatever. Just abort it.

TF: What?!

ICP20401: You heard me.

TF: ::: sighs and then goes back to the comm-panel to get back online with the node station :::

::: the nav-console returns the distances and ICP20401 quickly locates the outpost furthest away from 'ground zero': MCP148. It appears that it's been abandoned for as long as 256. And just like 256, it seems to contain no critical or secret information, but the MCP was known for keeping a lot of secrets to himself, meaning there coupld be just about anything in there. But there wasn't much choice, so 20401 decided to take the risk of giving out its location :::

[chat_1] I've found the outpost you're looking for. It's #148, in... oh, wonderful.. the ruins of the MCP's old game domain. That is NOT the best place to be going.

'>

The Tweaker
User

on Wednesday, May, 12, 2004 11:54 AM
A successful diplomatic negotiation... in midair, straddling an energy beam... through a chat line. Wow, that's GOTTA be a first.

So Harpo, what's your plan for reversing the code collapse?where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

harpo989
User

on Wednesday, May, 12, 2004 10:15 PM
um, my plan...
[chatrequest(whatchannel? = 1) = "add tweaker"][...Tweaker added]
[chat_1]My plan is this: my analyzation of the code reads it would ping each respective outpost with some kind of data almost constantly... then in return the other outposts would send data too... almost constant processing has been going on in every abandoned outpost. this constant processing gives off all the data structureing that the MCP used to keep systems under complete control. essentially, thses outposts are designed to generate a 'MCP effect' to keep the once-dependant systems under control. the system could function fine without it, but all the outposts are reliant on it. now, with the codeing gone, the code reliant outposts are essentially blowing up from energy overload... channeled throught every back door or old system link the MCP once used... effectivly destroying any system the MCP once touched. if we can get to the outpost, we can modify the rezz-in ports to generate false data packages, wich just might stop the code contradiction...
but then we have the problem of the game grid...

------------

Tron Fanatic
User

on Thursday, May, 13, 2004 12:34 AM
[chat_1]Sounds like a very well-concieved plan. But yes, getting in there is the major problem.

TF: Why, what's there? The MCP is gone, right? So what's so dangerous about it?

ICP20401: Well, allow me to add a few bytes of data to your memory-storage. The game grid is now by definition, a wasteland. But it isn't devoid of life. A large number of MCP fanatics, who refer to themselves as the Residuum, still inhabit the grid. You see, after the fall of the MCP, the captive User-believing programs rose against the MCP's legions, fought their way to freedom, and then strived to eliminate every last one of the red-circuited warriors. After many cycles of fighting, the battle was proving to be a stalemate. The MCP legions fought to maintain control of the game grid, and eventually drove the User-believers out of the domain. They still largely maintain control of the grid to this day. I've heard that they actually believe the MCP is the true Creator, and will someday return to the ENCOM system to reclaim his rightful property. Until that time, they will fight to the death to hold onto the sectors that are still Residuum territory.

TF: Why don't you go in there and wipe them out?

ICP20396: We tried once. The results were catastophic. We vastly underestimated them. Many of the MCP's finest video warriors still exist there, and we later felt it was less wasteful to just leave them there and keep them contained in the grid. It now functions as a virtual prison, with no walls, watch towers, or guards.

TF: Anything else?

ICP20396: Actually, yes. The grid is also home to one of the most powerful groups of resource hogs ever known. I guess they decided a bunch of MCP warriors, some who were originally stolen from other high-class systems, too hard to resist. The two groups are now locked in a seemingly infinite war. Reconnaisance of the grid shows constant battle activity.

TF: Wonderful. So we're essentially walking into the blue screen of death.

ICP20401: Precicely.

TF: Great...

'>

The Tweaker
User

on Thursday, May, 13, 2004 6:54 AM
//comment->Harpo> Never been to either. What are they?

[chat_1]OK, so as I understand it, we're looking for an abandoned fortress in the middle of a war zone.

Point 1: What are the odds it'll still be abandoned? If I was a game script fighting an eternal war against the Hogs, and I had a perfectly good fortress lying around, I'd use it!
Point 10: Hmm... so we're going to spoof the MCP? Whee! This will be fun! But if we tell the outpost it's still receiving MCP data... how will that stop the code contradiction? I still don't understand. Oh wait... we send some false MCP data to the outpost, it in turn transmits data to the other outposts, they transmit back, and they reinforce each other back to normal? Is that it?

Point 11: OK, so we're going into a fortress in the middle of a war zone. Neither side knows we're coming, expects us, nor (presumably) cares about us. Definitely sounds like a stealth situation to me. I've got a few subroutines that might help with that...

Point 100: Another option is diplomacy. Does either group have a leader we can speak to? If so, perhaps we can negotiate a truce between the two sides. That would be awesome. Or at least negotiate safe passage... I have a feeling they won't be too happy about the spreading code contradiction either.

ICP20396It now functions as a virtual prison, with no walls, watch towers, or guards.
Point 101: OK... so as I understand it it exists on its own plane, and you turned off the entry/exit portals and all the datastreams. So how do we get in, especially in our vehicles? I'd really rather not walk through the war zone if it can be avoided. I have a Flyer in my P-Rod, but it has limited range and only fits one person.

This plan is shaping up, but we'd better hurry... This sailer is approaching end of line, and that corruption isn't getting any smaller...

Tron Fanatic
User

on Thursday, May, 13, 2004 10:25 AM
[chat_1]OK, so as I understand it, we're looking for an abandoned fortress in the middle of a war zone.

Point 1: What are the odds it'll still be abandoned? If I was a game script fighting an eternal war against the Hogs, and I had a perfectly good fortress lying around, I'd use it!

The game grid has countless structures the Residuum could be using as a primary base, and our intel on their activities is sketchy at best. The outpost could just as soon be hog-controlled at this time, or there could be nobody there at all.

Point 11: OK, so we're going into a fortress in the middle of a war zone. Neither side knows we're coming, expects us, nor (presumably) cares about us. Definitely sounds like a stealth situation to me. I've got a few subroutines that might help with that...

Well you know how resource hogs are... if they can see it, they go after it. As for the Residuum, they seem to give those who wander into their territory the same treatment they gave captured programs during the MCP reign. Once in a while some hunter or just programs looking for some action venture onto the grid. Very few have ever returned and those who did have had nothing good to report.

Point 100: Another option is diplomacy. Does either group have a leader we can speak to? If so, perhaps we can negotiate a truce between the two sides. That would be awesome. Or at least negotiate safe passage... I have a feeling they won't be too happy about the spreading code contradiction either.

We're certain that both sides have a command structure of sorts, but we don't know who they consist of or how open they are to negotiations. In any event, walking up to anyone and saying "take me to your leader", is a very big gamble in my opinion.

Point 101: OK... so as I understand it it exists on its own plane, and you turned off the entry/exit portals and all the datastreams. So how do we get in, especially in our vehicles? I'd really rather not walk through the war zone if it can be avoided. I have a Flyer in my P-Rod, but it has limited range and only fits one person.

The domain is still open, but there's been no real reason to try cutting it off from the rest of the system. The Residuum doesn't have the resources to try any kind of major attack on neighboring sectors. They have limited mobility, and they haven't demonstrated any desire to move out of the grid anyhow. Aside from a few isolated skirmishes beyond their normal borders, they have never set foot outside the game grid.

'>

harpo989
User

on Thursday, May, 13, 2004 12:43 PM
Oh wait... we send some false MCP data to the outpost, it in turn transmits data to the other outposts, they transmit back, and they reinforce each other back to normal? Is that it?

yeah... pretty much.
[chat_1]as for entry into the sector...
*Harpo logs the destination into the sailer*
[chat_1]I say we try a back door. the good news is this information reads a simple security system. there's a perfect back door the would get us close to the outpost quickly... the bad news is that it's right through the old Light Cycle grid; Residuum front lines.
*Harpo looks up and sees the huge game grid looming before them*
[chat_1]and considering we're getting close, a descision should be made fast...

------------

Tron Fanatic
User

on Thursday, May, 13, 2004 1:55 PM
TF: From the sound of things, even if Harpo is wrong about the security, one way in is as good as another into that place.

ICP20401: Agreed. I say we try a back door.

ICP20396: I concur as well. ::: rezzes into combat armor ::: I advise extreme caution, however. Light security could be a sign of a trap or an ambush. Remember that they've survived for a very long time, and they haven't done it by being idle processes.

'>

harpo989
User

on Thursday, May, 13, 2004 6:11 PM
*The Reco and the Solar Sailer arrive at the grid, and the sailer begins to derezz. Harpo jumps out of the sailer and lands on the ground*
the beam stops here. if we go any farther, we're gonna need a new kind of transportation.
*Harpo heads towards a small hole in the wall, about the size of a program*

------------

DJ Aussie E.
User

on Thursday, May, 13, 2004 8:04 PM
*appears, adding the occasional mp3 to his Audio Library*

Ok, so I need "Long Train Runnin'" next...

*Notices the ICPs and smiles at them*

Hi guys!

Tron Fanatic
User

on Thursday, May, 13, 2004 8:14 PM
The pieces of the Recognizer begin dismantling, allowing the pod to float down to the ground. The three passengers disembark and then the Recognizer pieces rez out of active space. Fanatic and the two ICP's walk towards the small opening.

ICP20401: This narrow passage will nullify our strength in numbers of something happens. I recommend we go through one at a time. If there's an ambush, we can pull back much easier without the risk of getting bunched up.order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

'>

harpo989
User

on Thursday, May, 13, 2004 9:48 PM
*Harpo leads the way through the small hole, and after going about 100 feet or so, he comes out of the hole onto a catwalk about the width of a tank overlooking a chasam*
C'mon, guys! the entrance onto the main arena's just a little way away!

------------

FirstPrevious Page: of 13 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Game Grid 
 Meanwhile, on a forgotten outpost...