TRON BLOOPERS.........

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 8 PagesNextLast
digit
User

RE: TRON BLOOPERS.........

on Wednesday, July, 04, 2012 9:33 PM
Sso02V Wrote:
digit Wrote:Didn't Flynn feel refreshed in the first movie after taking in some power?

I think it's safe to say without any additional information [again, I don't accept speculation as information] that he required power to survive.
Isn't that exactly what you're doing? He was energized after drinking liquid energy. Nothing to suggest that he actually requires it.

To the contrary, he expressed fatigue shortly before taking in the power. It is obvious he was expending his available power. Speculation isn't necessary when something is obvious.

We don't know, of course, (based on the first movie) if he will perish without power; but we do know that he will expend any power that is available.

REQUEST STATUS REPORT
ON MISSING DATA

KingJ.exe
User

on Wednesday, July, 04, 2012 11:08 PM
Well, taking that route, I think it is safe to say that it is entirely possible that energy does not only have the liquid form. We are never told that. All we hear is that they've never had it this close to the source. Perhaps liquid energy is its "purest" form. Weare never told solid energy can't exist, nor are we told that it does.

Watch me stream TRON 2.0 on my YouTube channel!
https://gaming.youtube.com/channel/UCvvT-h8JK4w1xgKavs35WHg/live

Find the archive here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLf9ZcCtZm_CjonNAjms4wKN-p6UuiCMgZ

digit
User

on Wednesday, July, 04, 2012 11:20 PM
All these are really extraneous points. We don't know the exact reason they are eating the pig. We aren't given that.

What we do know is we find a pig in a place we would not expect to find one ("digital space"). In this "world", we find only programs (up to that point), and those programs take on the appearance of their users. Since pigs don't use computers, we wouldn't expect to find any programs who look like pigs.

I'm not saying there should not be a pig in the scene; I'm saying there shouldn't be one if you're not going to explain how it got there.

EDIT
(Not sure about grid bugs, they may qualify as wild life, or may be robotic constructions)

REQUEST STATUS REPORT
ON MISSING DATA

Kat
User

on Thursday, July, 05, 2012 12:12 AM
I realized a while ago that we're never really told a program (or user) needs to CONSUME energy. Tron, Flynn, and Ram like the feel of "pure" energy (and from the sound of things, they don't seem to get that very often), but it seemed to be in the same way people like the feel of alcohol, if their behavior was to be believed. It might be something that gives them a little extra boost, like a good cup of coffee, but I don't know they would've NEEDED it to survive.

To me it has always made sense that a program would draw its essential power from the system itself-- when's the last time your browser or word processor went kaput because it didn't get power from some magical source rather than the machine itself (though, not being physical hardware, we could debate in which way a virtual construct needs power to begin with)?

We don't know what the food was made of anyway. It could've been energy. Or it could've been nothing, just something for taste and familiarity. Maybe even if you don't need to eat in there, your stomach will still continue to function and signal that you're hungry if you don't eat regularly. Who knows?

We don't know why there was weather, either. Or Flynn's Arcade signs. Or why Flynn seems to sleep. Or, for that matter, why there's a club there or what the point of the Sirens/Armory is. Or a lot of things they could've explained. I don't see the "dinner" as being any different from any of that other stuff, and if I had a choice, I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather see explained than that.

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

digit
User

on Thursday, July, 05, 2012 7:15 AM
Kat Wrote:I realized a while ago that we're never really told a program (or user) needs to CONSUME energy. Tron, Flynn, and Ram like the feel of "pure" energy (and from the sound of things, they don't seem to get that very often), but it seemed to be in the same way people like the feel of alcohol, if their behavior was to be believed. It might be something that gives them a little extra boost, like a good cup of coffee, but I don't know they would've NEEDED it to survive.

That's true, but we know that Clu in the first movie was drinking something in the middle of an important and dangerous mission. It is doubtful he was merely "partying" in that situation.

Kat Wrote:To me it has always made sense that a program would draw its essential power from the system itself--

But again, we don't know if that actually happens. We know they are in the system, but they don't appear to be "plugged in" in any way.

Kat Wrote:We don't know what the food was made of anyway. It could've been energy. Or it could've been nothing, just something for taste and familiarity. Maybe even if you don't need to eat in there, your stomach will still continue to function and signal that you're hungry if you don't eat regularly. Who knows?

The writers know. It's their job to know. If they aren't being lazy, they inform the viewer.

Kat Wrote:We don't know why there was weather, either.

Don't get me started on this, I complained about it even before the movie was released ;}

Kat Wrote:Or Flynn's Arcade signs. Or why Flynn seems to sleep.

At least that is consistent. He slept in both movies.

Kat Wrote:I don't see the "dinner" as being any different from any of that other stuff, and if I had a choice, I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather see explained than that.

Fair enough, but it's still a blooper.

REQUEST STATUS REPORT
ON MISSING DATA

emdeesee
User

on Thursday, July, 05, 2012 10:58 AM
digit Wrote:
Kat Wrote:
We don't know why there was weather, either.

Don't get me started on this, I complained about it even before the movie was released ;}

There was weather in . Remember the "clouds"?

The weather in Legacy was just higher resolution, just like the rest of the objects in Flynn's grid.

digit Wrote:
Kat Wrote:
I don't see the "dinner" as being any different from any of that other stuff, and if I had a choice, I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather see explained than that.

Nah, I don't think so, anymore than the light cycles don't make only 90° turns is a blooper or the recogizers now have exhaust and seem to function along more-or-less newtonian principles is a blooper.

We can't be told all the "whys" of the Grid, because it would just end up being nonsensical, anyway, and would not advance the narrative. We have been told in background material, that Flynn was actively tweaking the Grid to produce some outcome that he preferred.

At some point Flynn decided he'd like to be able to dine on roast suckling pig while on the Grid, and coded it up. It's not "food", just like programs don't breath "air". It's whatever sustains programs (and human forms projected into digital space) reskinned to be more interesting to Flynn.

Sso02V
User

on Thursday, July, 05, 2012 12:36 PM
digit Wrote:
Kat Wrote:I don't see the "dinner" as being any different from any of that other stuff, and if I had a choice, I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather see explained than that.

No, a blooper is a mistake. This if anything is an oversight, but is being way overthought. Kevin Flynn's son shows up, so he makes him something to eat. Whether it's just reconfigured energy, or a pig Flynn digitized and has had in cold storage the whole time, it's most certainly not a blooper.

emdeesee
User

on Thursday, July, 05, 2012 12:46 PM
Sso02V Wrote:
digit Wrote:

No, a blooper is a mistake. This if anything is an oversight, but is being way overthought. Kevin Flynn's son shows up, so he makes him something to eat. Whether it's just reconfigured energy, or a pig Flynn digitized and has had in cold storage the whole time, it's most certainly not a blooper.

Of course, this whole site is dedicated to overthinking .

digit
User

on Thursday, July, 05, 2012 4:03 PM
Who said bloopers were just limited to mistakes? Any embarrassing moment qualifies.

If you bend to tie your sneakers and the back of your pants rips, that qualifies as a blooper.

REQUEST STATUS REPORT
ON MISSING DATA

Sso02V
User

on Thursday, July, 05, 2012 4:16 PM
So how is a roast pig an embarrassing mistake?abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

digit
User

on Thursday, July, 05, 2012 4:23 PM
Sso02V Wrote:So how is a roast pig an embarrassing mistake?

It isn't on Earth The problem is we are given no foreknowledge of any animals in digital space. The viewer is left wondering how it got there and what else is there. Mosquitos? Tigers? Sharks?
where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

REQUEST STATUS REPORT
ON MISSING DATA

BanditTron
User

on Thursday, July, 05, 2012 4:33 PM
My "take" on the pig thing or any of the foods was that Kevin created a kind of "food replicator" program that works the same way as the one from Star Trek does. Say what you want and "boing" there it is.

Thats just the quick thought that went through my head when I first saw the scene and never really thought much past that about it. ahha

emdeesee
User

on Thursday, July, 05, 2012 4:36 PM
Nor do we have foreknowledge of Chippendale love seats or Eames chairs on the Grid, but both exist in Flynn's safe house.

When the production designers include these things without the hows and whys, they give us freedom to imagine the hows and the whys.

That's part of the fun of it, IMHO. That's why, e.g., Darth Vader was a more interesting character before he was Anakin Skywalker.

YMMV

digit
User

on Thursday, July, 05, 2012 4:38 PM
BanditTron Wrote:My "take" on the pig thing or any of the foods was that Kevin created a kind of "food replicator" program that works the same way as the one from Star Trek does. Say what you want and "boing" there it is.

Thats just the quick thought that went through my head when I first saw the scene and never really thought much past that about it. ahha

I wish I felt that way. That is the worst scene for me in either of the two movies. It leads me to immediately start asking questions, questions that the writers should have provided answers to.
abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

REQUEST STATUS REPORT
ON MISSING DATA

emdeesee
User

on Thursday, July, 05, 2012 4:53 PM
I found an interesting article on the set design of Flynn's hideout.

"Because Flynn is originally human, and he has the ability to create his own exiled environment, we chose these familiar furnishings to showcase his personal aesthetic."

Can that not extend to his choice of "food" as well? (I put food in quotes, because it's not really food. I'm reminded of the scene in The Matrix, where we're told chicken tastes like everything.) Sam seems a little surprised by the experience of green bean. Is it because the experience is surprisingly like eating a green bean? Or is it surprisingly un-green-bean-like?

Anyway, while we're talking about it, this scene seemed powerfully reminiscent of the finale of 2001: A Space Odyssey, right down to the sound of the flatware scraping on the plates. Intentional?

Edit: Unfortunately, I couldn't find a clip in which you can actually hear the flatware scraping on the plates...

emdeesee
User

on Thursday, July, 05, 2012 5:07 PM
digit Wrote:
Sso02V Wrote:So how is a roast pig an embarrassing mistake?

It isn't on Earth The problem is we are given no foreknowledge of any animals in digital space. The viewer is left wondering how it got there and what else is there. Mosquitos? Tigers? Sharks?

Digit, that's a good question. What do you think/imagine?

digit
User

on Thursday, July, 05, 2012 5:29 PM
I don't imagine anything. This is not a role-playing experience, it's a motion picture I also don't prefer anything, only that things that don't make too much sense be properly explained.

If Orko defeats He-man or Lex Luthor defeats Superman in an arm-wrestling match, it is up to the writers to explain how that happened. It shouldn't be left up to me to brainstorm for logical explainations. Even in fictional worlds, there are still realities that govern the lives of the characters :]order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

REQUEST STATUS REPORT
ON MISSING DATA

KingJ.exe
User

on Thursday, July, 05, 2012 6:23 PM
digit Wrote:I don't imagine anything. This is not a role-playing experience, it's a motion picture I also don't prefer anything, only that things that don't make too much sense be properly explained.

If Orko defeats He-man or Lex Luthor defeats Superman in an arm-wrestling match, it is up to the writers to explain how that happened. It shouldn't be left up to me to brainstorm for logical explainations. Even in fictional worlds, there are still realities that govern the lives of the characters :]
But that doesn't mean that the producers have to tell us all about it in one film. They don't have to do it all for us. I personally like movies that leave me thinking and theorizing, such as how identity disks are linked to a program's lightsuit. The producers don't HAVE to explain it, and I have more fun figuring out an explanation on my own.

Watch me stream TRON 2.0 on my YouTube channel!
https://gaming.youtube.com/channel/UCvvT-h8JK4w1xgKavs35WHg/live

Find the archive here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLf9ZcCtZm_CjonNAjms4wKN-p6UuiCMgZ

Kat
User

on Thursday, July, 05, 2012 7:16 PM
digit Wrote:
That's true, but we know that Clu in the first movie was drinking something in the middle of an important and dangerous mission.  It is doubtful he was merely "partying" in that situation.

I take it you did not read the reference to coffee, then.

digit Wrote:But again, we don't know if that actually happens.  We know they are in the system, but they don't appear to be "plugged in" in any way.

Right.  And the idea is that they don't need to be.

digit Wrote:The writers know.  It's their job to know.  If they aren't being lazy, they inform the viewer.

Yes, but they didn't.  About many things.  Once again, why this is so much worse to you than the billion other plot holes and things they didn't explain, I don't know.  And this is far easier to figure out or come up with a plausible reason for.

digit Wrote:At least that is consistent.  He slept in both movies.

Not really.  The circumstances were completely different.  But whatever makes you happy.

And I don't want everything told to me, either.  Perhaps it's because I'm a writer and I need to be left something to work with, I dunno.  For one, I often find that the idea I come up with is something I like better than whatever explanation they retcon later... the only things I want explained are the really implausible stuff-- why Tron's now short, how Clu can kick the ass of the best fighter on the Grid who NOBODY can beat with one hand tied behind his back, why Sam needs his clothing taken off (not complaining from one  standpoint, but I find the scene ridiculous), exactly how the time differential between real world and Grid works, etc.  All the things a reasonable person couldn't come up with a plausible/believable explanation for themself.  I could not care less why Flynn replicates food or whether he needs it, why a digital jet stalls, etc. because two seconds of thought can give me a reasonable answer and probably more than one.

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Sso02V
User

on Thursday, July, 05, 2012 7:38 PM
Why is it so ridiculous that when Sam is forced to play in a sports arena, he's given a uniform?

FirstPrevious Page: of 8 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 TRON BLOOPERS.........